• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comics for US soldiers in Iraq

30 posts in this topic

you think this dude wants some X-Men readers?

Absolutely. Judging by his comments in the first post of this thread it looks as if all they have are regular books and Reader's Digest magazines. X-Men readers have got to be among the best items I would think. Heck, send 'em all. Old, new, independent, superhero, bad girl, Vertigo, War, Horror, Romance, Heavy Metal magazine, anything.

In addition to the first package that I sent which includes what he purchased from me, I am now putting together a larger assortment of books for Shane and the other guys including a bunch more Spider-Man and other interesting comics. Maybe even some EC reprints as those are always good for a stir.

Please let me know on this thread (or a PM) if you are planning on sending these guys a box. I don't need to know what actual books, but I would like to let Shane know that some books are coming so that he and the other soldiers can look forwards to them. I hope I didn't go overboard but I knew you all were a generous bunch (and we all have old readers and unwanted comics in a pile somewhere) so I told him that I wouldn't be surprised if he received several thousand comics to spread around. Thanks------Sid

cool, i'll go throw my readers box sometime before the end of the week

hope this wont cost me an arm and a couple of fingers to mail 893whatthe.gif

No, it is very cheap to mail. I have shipped comics off to guys with military addresses many times. Even though they are out of the country you still use US domestic shipping rates through the post office. In other words, use Media or Book rate, both of which are extremely cheap. Costs you the same thing to ship it this way whether across town or to the soldiers. But don't forget, even with this cheap shipping you still need to fill out a customs declaration form since it still is going to another country. This does not cost anything more. Use the small green and white form for packages under four pounds or the larger white form for packages over four pounds. I've done this many times and the post office has these easy to fill out forms at all branches. Thanks for participating. -----Sid

Again let me reiterate......

It already going to take a long while for the guy to get the comics via Priority Mail......if it goes Media or Book though......he may never see them. It takes a minimum of 1 month (normally 6-8 weeks) for Media/Book rate packages to get to me in Germany. The heavier the package, the longer it takes.

Jim

It may be because with the size/weight of the boxes we *want* to send, we'd need to send them media. But we were just told to not bother sending them if we're going to send them media. I want to send a big box, but I can't afford to send a big box via priority mail.

I'm not discouraging sending comics downrange whatsoever. Please do so if you're inclined even if you send Media Mail. The troops downrange will appreciate them to be sure. I was just giving everyone some realistic timeframes and realities so they wouldn't be wondering where their packages went if no feedback was received.

From my experience, sending comics to a warzone is a great morale booster and I'd be surprised if Marvel and DC haven't sent cases of comics downrange. It's a captured market. GIs who normally wouldn't touch a comic will savor them in a deployed situation. No better way to grab new readers in my opinion......

Jim

It may be because with the size/weight of the boxes we *want* to send, we'd need to send them media. But we were just told to not bother sending them if we're going to send them media. I want to send a big box, but I can't afford to send a big box via priority mail.

Actually, I was at the post office yesterday and asked about this. With a military address your box is first sent to a military location within the United States via whatever method you chose (media, Priority or whatever). From that point the parcel is in the militaries' hands and the speed of shipping is then up to them. I imagine that all packages to Iraq would then be routed through Germany. I was also told that package speed overall can vary. It may get there quick, maybe not.

But the point is, eventually it will get there. Maybe in a couple weeks, maybe in a couple months. It is not as if our boys will be packing up to go home soon, unfortunately. Just yesterday it was announced that the Army is in such short supply that 5,600 retired personell is being called back into duty. Or at least something like that. Anyway, it may not be speedy service but we are able to send some books to soldiers in Iraq for a fairly minimal expense.

As far as being told to "not bother" I just cannot fathom why anybody would suggest this. Late, maybe a bit beat up is certainly better than nothing. Not as if we are sending over "CGC ready" books. -----Sid