• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Don't Ever Sell on Ebay! Ever Ever! Bad Place! Bad!

88 posts in this topic

You cannot make this up. It is like a gave myself negative Karma by saying what I did this afternoon.

I sold a cheaper CGC slab of a mid grade Silver book. I specifically say in the ad that I only ship items using priority mail with delivery and tracking information. Someone bids, book is sold. Right after the book is sold:

"hello. would you be willing to consider less expensive shipping? i am not in a hurry"

Response:

"I only ship priority mail - the less time your package is in the USPS system the better. I do not ship any other way I am sorry."

These are things that should have been asked before the item was sold.

Same thing just happened to me. A guys wins multiple auctions totaling over $500 and I quote him the shipping and insurance price (insurance required on $250 orders stated in auction), he then says he wants media mail and doesn't want to pay for insurance. So annoying...

You cannot make this up. It is like a gave myself negative Karma by saying what I did this afternoon.

I sold a cheaper CGC slab of a mid grade Silver book. I specifically say in the ad that I only ship items using priority mail with delivery and tracking information. Someone bids, book is sold. Right after the book is sold:

"hello. would you be willing to consider less expensive shipping? i am not in a hurry"

Response:

"I only ship priority mail - the less time your package is in the USPS system the better. I do not ship any other way I am sorry."

Same thing just happened to me. A guys wins multiple auctions totaling over $500 and I quote him the shipping and insurance price (insurance required on $250 orders stated in auction), he then says he wants media mail and doesn't want to pay for insurance. So annoying...

It is annoying but not something that cannot be dealt with. If I say in the listing that priority is your only option then I am going to play hardball on that. That is what the listing said. I will be polite but firm. If the buyer still disagrees and wants conditions made after the fact then the cancel transaction is carried through and the item is relisted with the bidder blocked.

That was the experience I had with a piece of animation art earlier this year. I had it listed for $800. He wanted it for $100. I politely declined and I started receiving angry notes that I was foolish for not selling it to him. I ignored it and blocked him. Then I started receiving more messages and attempts to buy it from different accounts.

I simply pulled the piece down and occasionally receive message inquiring about the piece and if it will ever become available. I lied and replied that it was sold.

There are some real lunatics out there.

Response:

It is annoying but not something that cannot be dealt with. If I say in the listing that priority is your only option then I am going to play hardball on that. That is what the listing said. I will be polite but firm. If the buyer still disagrees and wants conditions made after the fact then the cancel transaction is carried through and the item is relisted with the bidder blocked.

That was the experience I had with a piece of animation art earlier this year. I had it listed for $800. He wanted it for $100. I politely declined and I started receiving angry notes that I was foolish for not selling it to him. I ignored it and blocked him. Then I started receiving more messages and attempts to buy it from different accounts.

I simply pulled the piece down and occasionally receive message inquiring about the piece and if it will ever become available. I lied and replied that it was sold.

There are some real lunatics out there.

Crazy stuff about the animation piece. What was it anyways? I haven't had anything close to that happen to me. When I auctioned off a IM #55 recently I did receive about 5 different messages from potential buyers asking the most inane questions about a comic I have ever heard before.

I've taken your approach to letting buyers know that I only ship priority. It works.

Some people can buy and sell on eBay for years and never run into a single problem while others routinely experience problems. It's the same deal with Amazon. Many people refuse to purchase from Amazon direct because of books-on-hold-forever issues or shipping/packaging problems, etc. while I love Amazon and have never had a problem with receiving damaged books or having to wait forever to receive them. I guess life's problems aren't always uniformly distributed. (shrug)

Some people can buy and sell on eBay for years and never run into a single problem while others routinely experience problems. It's the same deal with Amazon. Many people refuse to purchase from Amazon direct because of books-on-hold-forever issues or shipping/packaging problems, etc. while I love Amazon and have never had a problem with receiving damaged books or having to wait forever to receive them. I guess life's problems aren't always uniformly distributed. (shrug)

It is also important to point out that a lot of the people who receive 'damaged' books on Amazon, do NOT complain. For instance, almost any book I order is going to arrive with shelf wear and the occasional ding. That being said, I buy books for reference on antiques and collectibles. Amazon has the best price; plain and simple. I am willing (in this instance only) to sacrifice a little for a better price. That being said I never had a book arrived extremely damaged and if I did, I would complain. Anyone who buys these kind of books has to accept some shelf wear and mishandling; otherwise they would not be able to offer the prices they do.

Ironically, my new Overstreet Price Guide is the only book I ever received to arrive untouched and in true mint condition. Probably because I preordered it and it went right to them to me (there was little handling otherwise).

Kind Regards,

'mint'

I had concerns about the New X-Men Omnibus arriving damaged because of the size, which I understand has already been an issue for Amazon with regards to this specific book as the site has pulled its listing. However, mine arrived in totally perfect condition. I wonder if that's because I preordered it so there was minimal handling, as you stated. hm

I think it amounts to the customer base that you are dealing with. A few groups of collectors are always weird to deal with. What group? The Disney collectors. I do not get problems in so much as just plain strangeness. I think I mentioned how one of them sent me a card well after the transaction had been completed because they were reminded of our transaction.

The hardcore Star Wars collectors can perpetuate the geek stereotype once in awhile if you know what I mean. It is all in what the field is amongst who you are selling to.

The thing is, Ebay gives you more exposure than anywhere else.

I've had one or two bad experiences but I sell very little. BTW tracking means squat most of the time. Sometimes my items aren't even scanned and updated.

I use Fedex 95% of the time. Mostly because I'm to lazy to go to the post office after work. (There are daily pickups at my job) Because I have an account with them, the more I ship, the more I save. Example: Calif to Florida 4 day ground, less than $9.(Box is no more than 3 lbs) If you want to add a little insurance, maybe $10 - $10.50, the buyer can get an e-mail as the when it ships, you get an e-mail when it arrives. If by the slightest chance there’s a problem with delivery, fedex will let you know. In the 3+ years I’ve been doing this, I’ve NOT HAD ONE PROBLEM!