• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Have you noticed more and more non-paying bidders on eBay?

36 posts in this topic

I've been selling off and on for several years, but as of late, I've had a considerable number of people not pay for their winning auctions.

People with 100% feedback and no negatives, as well.

Just a coincidence or has anyone else noticed a trend?

I noticed for a few years,so that`s why I made all my auctions buy it nows and they must pay immediately with paypal. My days of having auctions start at .99 cent bids and waiting for people to pay three weeks later for their winning auctions are long over. (thumbs u

Where do you check the option for the immediate payment on a BIN listing? I have tried to implement that and can't ever find the option.

I thought about using it but I am already cutting my customer base by not allowing international sales. More and more people are bidding using mobile devices but not paying until they get home on the computer for a secure signal.

Just a thought.

I wouldn't use it for everything, but I see the same pattern of people hitting like a $3.50 BIN and then not paying. For stuff that cheap I would like to use it if I could figure out how to.

You guys are all reporting these Non-Paying Bidders to eBay by trying to recover your final value fees, correct? They do get a NPB strike and you can set your listings to not accept bids from buyers with NPB strikes.

You guys are all reporting these Non-Paying Bidders to eBay by trying to recover your final value fees, correct? They do get a NPB strike and you can set your listings to not accept bids from buyers with NPB strikes.

Where is that option?

I have someone who bid and won one of my Batman Bus Posters and still hasn't paid. The auction ended Friday night. I was trying to give him a little extra time but I clearly stated that payment was due immediately and I think three days was more than enough time. I'm just wondering what a good wait time etiquette is.

I have someone who bid and won one of my Batman Bus Posters and still hasn't paid. The auction ended Friday night. I was trying to give him a little extra time but I clearly stated that payment was due immediately and I think three days was more than enough time. I'm just wondering what a good wait time etiquette is.

because you can't require immediate payment for auctions, you have to give them 4 days before you can file a non-paying bidder claim, then e-bay gives them a few days to pay up or you get your fees back.

In the UK I've had more then I used to.

Got another one now. 147 feedback, no response to invoice, no response to email and will now open a case.

The last one I had responded with "Sorry, didn't realise I had bid. Money is tight at the moment and I cannot afford it".

This was for a 99p comic.

In the last 3 weeks I've completed 754 comic auctions with 31 unpaid items that were never settled. That's a little more than 4% unpaid.

4% doesn't sound too bad IMO.

What really stinks is that a single bidder won and didn't pay for 14 auctions for a total of $482 (before shipping). I was listing runs of most SA Marvels and he snagged something from everything, so I doubt I'll be able to achieve a similar value at relist. E-mailed twice, waited 12 days and had to file an unpaid item case.

But why bid if you have no intention of paying? What's the point?

(shrug) Buyers remorse, not enough funds, change of mind, outright douchebaggery?

yup, all of that lol

I mean I've done it too, I haven't not paid before, but I have bought books and my wife immediately says stop buying books but I still pay within the hour. I'd rather just pay and get grounded, than having to deal with not paying. makes me feel worse. not paying that is.

because you can't require immediate payment for auctions, you have to give them 4 days before you can file a non-paying bidder claim, then e-bay gives them a few days to pay up or you get your fees back.

I believe it takes 7 days before you can file a NPB claim.