• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HELP URGENTLY NEEDED! PGM ASM 101! Possible Restoration?

23 posts in this topic

Hello everyone! I apologize for the dramatic title of this particular PGM thread, but I need as many veterans here to help me on checking out the ASM 101 I currently have up on eBay which ends on next Sunday 26th August!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221104346682?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

The-Collector was nice enough to bring this to my attention in a PM:

Z-TheCollectorCGC.jpg

I bought this particular ASM 101 from a collector via mail order from The Buyer's Guide for Comics (aka "TBG") back in 1995. It was warranted to me to be in NM condition. In 1995, there was no CGC grading scale.

After I received it, I did a cursory inspection and promptly placed it in mylar with an acid free backboard. I have not looked at it for literally a dozen years.

I am no expert at all when it comes to grading. That's why I've come to the veterans here. I'm humble enough to know when to "ask for help!"

My reputation at eBay means everything to me, so please take a look at where Jake has pointed out.

If the consensus of opinion of the group here is that there is even a remote posibility there is restoration on this ASM 101, I will immediately cancel the auction. Perhaps a sample size of at least 10 veterans? I will bump this thread until this number is reached.

In the alternative, if you feel it hasn't been restored, can you please provide a grade in your best estimation?

Over the years, I have diligently worked super hard to have a spotless reputation and give the best customer service I can when selling my comic books or other items. You can check my eBay feedback to verify this.

This is where the CGC Comic Book Collecting forum and community can really be helpful.

Please help me. Thank you to all the kind souls who will take their time to do so. I will be ever so grateful. (worship)

CGC1.jpg

CGC1a.jpg

That's what it appears to be from what I can see.

I'm sure you already have done so, but take a look inside the cover and see if there is any 'bleed-through'...

I'm thinking there may be some fiber-tip marker dotting around an inch down from the MARVEL COMICS GROUP box in that darkened area.

EDIT- Maybe a hit or two in the green area of the MCG box as well. :shrug:

I'm sure you already have done so, but take a look inside the cover and see if there is any 'bleed-through'...

I'm thinking there may be some fiber-tip marker dotting around an inch down from the MARVEL COMICS GROUP box in that darkened area.

Thanks so much for your reply. I have done what you stated with an oversized magnifying glass under a super bright light.

I've looked up and down the spine and inside the comic book itself. There is no "bleed-through" whatsoever anywhere on the inside cover or back cover.

Now I am really perplexed! :pullhair:

What else should I look for? (shrug)

I'm no expert at spotting restoration either, but with that large picture, those spine ticks have to break color. There should be some white showing in several of those spine ticks.

I'd guess that it is color touch, with something which didn't bleed completely through the cover to show on the inside.

With those spine ticks, it looks like a VF book to me. Post another scan of the front at a normal size, say a 400k or so jpeg.

EDIT- Maybe a hit or two in the green area of the MCG box as well. :shrug:

Those were the bits that I was worried about too. The color matching in the green is a bit off and the top left corner seems to be a popular place for CT.

These are the three areas that I was looking at in particular within the darkened area.

I don't have a copy of this issue any longer to compare (perhaps someone else does) so I'm not positive if those marks are in the artwork or not.

CGC1tics.jpg

I'm no expert at spotting restoration either, but with that large picture, those spine ticks have to break color. There should be some white showing in several of those spine ticks.

I'd guess that it is color touch, with something which didn't bleed completely through the cover to show on the inside.

With those spine ticks, it looks like a VF book to me. Post another scan of the front at a normal size, say a 400k or so jpeg.

Thanks for your reply. Much appreciated.

There's is no bleeding whatsoever. I have really put this under a super bright light and while using a super size magnifying glass. Nada! :frustrated:

Z-ManMagnifyingGlass-a.jpg

These are the three areas that I was looking at in particular within the darkened area.

I don't have a copy of this issue any longer to compare (perhaps someone else does) so I'm not positive if those marks are in the artwork or not.

CGC1tics.jpg

I see what you're saying.

Thanks for zooming in on this.

Damn it! More likely than not, I was ripped off in 1995! Motherfu*ker! :censored:

I'm going to wait for several more replies, but it doesn't look good. doh!

Thanks, guys, for lending me a hand ... err ... your eyes!

I took the following shots of the inside FC and inside BC. The shadows are showing since it's a little past 9:45PM Sunday night here in Bangkok and I had to use a flash..

I see no bleeding whatsoever from any color touchups! ???

I'm going nuts! UGGGHHH! :pullhair:

Can you guys see anything?

AMS101InsideFC.jpg

ASM101InsideBC.jpg

Color touch. :sorry:

It's especially clear on the last spine nick Hibou pointed out where it appears the touch up bleed onto the white area of the wrap (what's the proper term for that).

Sorry buddy...

Thanks, guys, for lending me a hand ... err ... your eyes!

I see no bleeding whatsoever from any color touchups! ???

I'm going nuts! UGGGHHH! :pullhair:

Can you guys see anything?

Not all color touch materials bleed through so don't beat yourself up over it. Being no expert my first reaction was restored, The green doesn't match on the FC corner and the black line in the same spot is too big for the rest of the line.

I'm sure it looks a lot better in person as large scanning tends to over emphasize defects. Also since it is a high value key issue, it is even more suspicious.

Just checked my Universal CGC copy to be sure.

Your copy has color touch. 100% sure and at the area I mentioned above.

You are a Godsend to me, my friend! Thank you so much for your help! (worship)

I will now cancel this particular eBay auction after I post this message to you.

While it is not good news to me, and many of the bidder/watchers on that auction will be disappointed .... my reputation and integrity means the world to me on eBay.

I want everyone who deals with me at eBay and here at the CGC Comic Book Collecting Forum to know that eBay ID john-c-holmes is "above board!"

My monikor at eBay may be known for screwing tiny babes :D

but I will NEVER screw over a potential customer and for sure not another comic book collector.

I was ripped off in 1995, but that's a lesson learned. I'm damn glad to be part of this group here. You guys ROCK!

Thanks to everyone who took the time to help me. I won't forget it.

Not all color touch materials bleed through so don't beat yourself up over it. Being no expert my first reaction was restored, The green doesn't match on the FC corner and the black line in the same spot is too big for the rest of the line.

I'm sure it looks a lot better in person as large scanning tends to over emphasize defects. Also since it is a high value key issue, it is even more suspicious.

Thanks, Richard, for your kind words. They mean alot to me.

I'm most appreciative of your empathy to my plight, and I know I've learned a valuable lesson.

I really wanted to buy it too. Bummer.

Believe me, I'm way more bummed than you are. :(

However, my reputation is worth more than a quick influx of temporary cash and a RUINED reputation at this AWESOME comic book collecting forum.

I'd rather have people chuckle and say that screwball MODOK (aka john-c-holmes on eBay) was a "Good Joe" and did the "right thing" by cancelling the auction than be labeled a con artist and rip off some unsuspecting collector - as I was in 1995.

The comic book collecting circles on the internet - here and at eBay are super "tight," so you know what I'm talking about. ;)

Thanks again to everyone who responded.

I have now put this ASM 101 back up on eBay with the DISCLAIMER that it has been RESTORED.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221109657903?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649

I even included the following image to be 100% totally up front with any potential eBay Buyer who might be interested.

CGCASM101Restoration-eBay-a.jpg

Someone will score this ASM 101 for the opening $15.99 bid, and I'll be thrilled to even get that. doh!

I'm still am fuming how I was taken back in 1995 on this deal! :censored:

Anyway, the important thing is my reputation here and at eBay is intact, and that is worth way more than what I could have gotten for this ASM 101 if I had chosen to do nothing! ^^