• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What makes artists likeable? Why is your favortite artist your favorite artist?

24 posts in this topic

May be better to specify which time period by the artist is your fave. Some artists' styles have metamorphosed the last 15 yrs. e.g. B Wrighton, J Byrne, BWS, B Sienkiewicz.

Even R Liefeld used to be good when he drew New Mutants (Cable), early X-force. Then it went downhill w/ Youngblood #1, Capt America, etc. crazy.gif

I think that a great deal of my opinions on artists has to do with the book they're doing. For example, I like Alex Maleev's work on Daredevil a lot because his gritty style fits DD's world and life like a glove. I certainly wouldn't want to have him drawing Ultimate Spider-man using the same style, though.

As far as pure artistic ability, I'd have to bestow current honors to Greg Land; his work on Crossgen's Sojourn is nothing short of beautiful.

As far as pure artistic ability, I'd have to bestow current honors to Greg Land; his work on Crossgen's Sojourn is nothing short of beautiful.

Oh yes, I second that motion. If anyone out there owns the original artwork to the cover of Sojourn #5 or the Sojourn Collected Edition (I believe this was also a splash page in Sojourn #1, but since my copy is CGC'd, I can't look it up for reference), please contact me!!!

Butch Guice's recent work on "Ruse" at CrossGen is also quite beautiful.

As for all-time faves, I prefer Neal Adams, Brunner, Steranko, Byrne, Perez, Romita Sr., Kane, Andru, and 1970s-era BWS and Gene Colan. Some who just drew very clean, crisp figures (like a Romita) and some who drew in a more detailed style (Adams), but all who basically adhered to more realistic artistic guidelines (not overly stylized, not cartoony, not manga-esque, not too stiff, not lacking enough detail, not taking creative license to an extreme with anatomical proportions, etc.)

Gene

Jen's: "But I don't want to be a lunatic, and I don't see myself as one".

You're not SUPPOSED to see yourself as one. From YOUR perspective, if you're stark raving nuts, you're not SUPPOSED to notice anything peculiar about yourself. It should appear to be "all in a day's work".

Take the last time I was at Yonkers Raceway for example (the trotters). It was hotter than hell (hell isn't really that hot to begin with, it's just very humid) and there was this one very animated individual with a trench coat that was fun to watch. His demeanor was not totally unlike other regular racetrack denizens I've observed at the track, but extreme none-the-less. I'd lose sight of him for the 20 minutes between every race but as soon as the pace car took them around and lifted it's gate for the start of the race, there he'd come, full steam ahead, running bent knee, like Groucho Marx, from the stands down to the rail, yelling the whole way. As the horses came down the straightaway, he would lean over as far as he could, waving his program wildly, screaming at the top of his lungs right into the jockey's faces, "Dokey you F***, Die you F***ing SOB" etc. etc.. I'd seen things like that too. Extreme, yes, but this IS the racetrack and emotions run high. Well, at any rate, after 4 or 5 of the same performances, there was a photo finish with a LONG pause during which he paced back and forth and talked to himself, holding a handfull of betting tickets right in front of him like they were rosary beads. I'm watching the screen for the results to come up and suddenly the lights flashed on, "final results... Win #4, Show #1, Place #7". No sooner had the first light blinked on when I heard someone scream at somebody to my left, "OOOOh you stupid [!@#%^&^]", sounding like a fight was going to break out. I turned in enough time to see Mr.Trenchcoat launch a perfect 360 degree bolo-punch right into HIS OWN jaw, actually knocking himself to the ground! THAT, I had NEVER seen before! Now from HIS perspective, he probably would'nt know what you're talking about if you suggested that he may be slightly deranged. To him, that may have been a GOOD day!!