• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Russ Cochran Comic Art Auctions - a 30 years Retrospective
2 2

1,169 posts in this topic

Not really Bronty, coins, fine art, antiques, and yes comic art sold prior to the internet--it was just a slower sales cycle.

We had niche newspapers in all collectible fields, comics had Comics Buyer's Guide and RBCC PACKED with classified ads...plus dealers and collectors sent out sales lists, etc. and of course Pioneers like Russ and Howard Lowery and others brought professionalism, knowledge, and auctions to our hobby.

Rob

Well perhaps I am being too dramatic for you but "slower sales cycle" is "hard to sell and hard to buy" in my book :)

Funny, I feel bad that I was not part of the hobby back then. I find half the fun of this is the hunt for new treasures. And the feeling you get when you finally score one. Back in the day it was like Indiana Jones, now it's more like the Matrix....

(that's the most stretched movie analogy I've ever used!)

Terry, How do you know the auctions results? Would Russ send out a letter after the auction was over with details of the auctions?

Mike

For a long time the auction results would be printed on page two of the next auction catalog.

Later on, Russ would mail a listing of items for direct sale (stuff that didn't sell), along with a listing of auction results.