• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

International shipping survey

27 posts in this topic

Yep. Australia post is atrocious. I recently sent two books ($500+ value) via registered post with tracking. The buyer is freaking out because there is NO tracking information because the package hasn't been scanned. This is a regular occurrence.

Are you shipping from the USA?

In my experience, USPS Priority better than Registered IMO but obviously more expensive. Worth it if you're shipping high end books. You should be able to track USPS Priority International on the Australia Post website. I'm able to follow my USPS Priority packages from the USA to here in Thailand, no problem.

I also ship comic books from here in Bangkok using Thailand Post Registered Airmail. The tracking number can be used on the Thailand Post website to follow it's progress until it leaves the country. Once it leaves Thailand, it can't be tracked on the Thailand Post website.

Unfortunately, USPS will only provide the tracking results once the package is delivered to the addressee in the USA.

I've shipped dozens of packages with 100% success rate using Thailand Post Registered Airmail.

I also have a 100% success rate receiving packages from the USA from sellers using USPS Priority International or USPS Express International.

In any event, Registered Mail is SAFE. There are 190+ countries who are cooperatives of the EMS group, meaning all member countries adhere to a strict policy of dealing with Registered, Priority, Express Mail packages.

Here's the list:

http://www.ems.coop/members-ems-cooperative

I'm in Canada and it's nothing worse than buying a book and getting dinged duty. Especially an expensive book.

So I always ask the seller if they can ship with a lesser value and write "gift" (and not to include any receipts). This has worked countless number of times. I do understand when I seller does not want to do that however.

USPS is good for avoiding duty.

Also, books over $200 and graded generally cost around $28-$30 shipped I find.

I'm in Canada and it's nothing worse than buying a book and getting dinged duty. Especially an expensive book.

So I always ask the seller if they can ship with a lesser value and write "gift" (and not to include any receipts). This has worked countless number of times. I do understand when I seller does not want to do that however.

USPS is good for avoiding duty.

Also, books over $200 and graded generally cost around $28-$30 shipped I find.

I agree, taxes can be high, especially on expensive books. But, if I can be so bold as to speak for all the Canadians on this forum, I think we all agree that being Canadian we are used to be taxed to death :grin:

However, I have never asked someone to specifically falsify or report something that is not true on the postage forms. I am not knocking you, just saying that for me it doesn't feel right to ask that.

Now, several people on this forum whom I have I bought from and who know they can trust me have done this for me. And I always appreciate it when a seller does puts a lower value or marks a package "gift" or "used books" so that any taxes are lower or zero.

Nonetheless, I generally factor in any possible duties when thinking about the overall cost. When the package arrives and if you don't have to pay them, bonus. If you do, consider it the price to pay for citizenship in a great country.

I'm in Canada.

Don't ever use UPS to send books to Canadians, as they have an absolutely atrocious reputation for charging extortionate brokerage fees.

USPS with insurance and signature confirmation is what I recommend to cover yourself, especially when accepting payment through PayPal.

Amen wiz brother. UPS hoses Canadians with their customs border fee. They got me once and I'd rather refuse the package than pay next time.

(thumbs u (thumbs u

USPS for Canada only.

UPS is awful, as everyone has said.

Last two order I got through UPS I refused delivery.

1 was for a $20 comic, fees were more than the comic cost me.

The other was $150 of dress shirts from brooks brothers, the fees were $90, making the discount sale worthless.

I'm reviewing our international shipping, including what shipping methods are offered and how much we charge for shipping.

For the international buyers on the board, I'd be curious to get your input. I'm interested in the following:

- What country do you live in?

- Do you prefer some shipping methods or dislike certain shipping methods? Why?

- Wherever you order from (ebay, ComicLink, Heritage, etc.), what are you typically charged for shipping when ordering comics, and for what size order (under $200? over $1000?, etc)?

Just trying to get a feel for what buyers think is reasonable.

MyComicShop shipping is the best, please don't change it.... (I guess I have to place another order before you do)

Just wanted to thank all the boardies who provided feedback. Got some really helpful info here and also via PM. Will take a while to get all changes implemented, but we're working to get shipping costs as low as possible (while still being appropriately trackable and insured in the case of higher value orders).