• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Going to Denver in two weeks, what should I do?

33 posts in this topic

If you're going to Colorado, wear a bulletproof vest.

That is not cool...not in the least. We moved to Denver/Littleton from Texas two months ago, and I am proud to be here. This is an awesome city with more things to do than you could imagine. The Rockies are stunning, and I see them every day. The day trips you can take every weekend are never ending. I was born and raised in NC, lived in Austin for 11 years, but we moved here because we wanted to, not because we had to. Statements like yours, which don't take into consideration how this community has suffered, are very offensive. And in case you did not know, one of our own board members lost his son in the shootings. You might think about things like that the next time you decide to open your mouth with something you deem "witty".

I was at one of Mile High's satellite stores near the Denver Zoo in May of this year and in my opinion you can skip it. Unless you are in to seeing unreasonable prices on mid-grade comics, chipped busts and statues stick to the hiking. Garden of the Gods, Seven Falls, and Red Rocks all have great trails and some occasional wildlife. If you want a challenge drive out to Greeley and hike up Coyote Ridge.

Definitely plan on hitting up garden of the gods. And seven falls looks sweet!

I went to school in Wyoming. My wife and I used to make trips down to Denver all the time. If you can make it downtown they have a street mall. I think it's the 6th street mall. That was a lot of fun. Try to catch a Rockies game too if you can. It's incredible watching a game with the city and mountains as the back drop.

If you can find the main Mile High store it's pretty neat experience. Like the earlier poster said it is a little over priced, but it is the biggest comic store I've ever seen!

That street mall looks cool. I know the lady will want to hit it up.

Thanks guys!

The first time that I saw the Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs last November, I knew this was the state I wanted to retire in. The beauty all over the state is simply breathtaking....whether it is Durango, the Million Dollar Highway, Ouray, Gunnison, Breckenridge, Aspen, Pikes Peak, Evergreen, Red Rocks, Ken Caryl Valley, the Great Sand Dunes, it seems like it never ends. The best thing I have ever done besides marrying my wife and having two wonderful daughters is move to Colorado. Have a safe trip here.

The first time that I saw the Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs last November, I knew this was the state I wanted to retire in. The beauty all over the state is simply breathtaking....whether it is Durango, the Million Dollar Highway, Ouray, Gunnison, Breckenridge, Aspen, Pikes Peak, Evergreen, Red Rocks, Ken Caryl Valley, the Great Sand Dunes, it seems like it never ends. The best thing I have ever done besides marrying my wife and having two wonderful daughters is move to Colorado. Have a safe trip here.

I swore after my wife and I left Wyoming we'd move back to Colorado at some point. Its tough to find teaching jobs in CO. I absolutely loved Fort Collins. It was one of the nicest towns I've ever seen.

Lucky for you that you're making it work out there!

I just visited the 25k sq ft Jason st store. They have the most back issues I have seen in one spot. It is in the sketchiest part of town and is literally a warehouse. Still has mile high grading and pricing fun (everything was 50% off) but is a good spot to look for cheap obscure books that most dealers don'tbring to shows. I picked up a bunch of atlas seaboard books.

You won't find any deals on keys but they've got a few out.

Leave Denver after watching a baseball and hockey game.

Go to boulder

Stop in the few comic shops including the MH. Owned by a great guy who actually has pretty good stuff. I bought there through college.

Go to Golden and have some beer.

Drive to a few small towns in the mountains and explore.

The first time that I saw the Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs last November, I knew this was the state I wanted to retire in.

Unless someone has stood there and witnessed its beauty, it is hard to understand how much it can inspire you.

th_100_0346.jpg

:cloud9:

We are mostly going to be hiking around the city, and colorado springs, but I wanted to check out some comic stores in the area if they are worth the trip.

Anyone have some great comic related stuff to do in Denver during some down time?

Is Mile High's store/warehouse worth visiting?

If you're staying mostly in the CO Springs area:

Cheyenne Mountain Zoo: http://www.cmzoo.org/

Pike's Peak (check out the railway!): http://www.cograilway.com/

Seven Falls: http://www.sevenfalls.com/

Garden of the Gods: http://www.gardenofgods.com/home/

ALL are awesome. If you like the outdoors, you'll love your visit.

Well, you have to go downtown for the season opener against the Steelers. The game will be hard as hell and very costly to get into, but there are any number of bars to check out downtown. The Steelers always have a strong showing on game days, so it'll be crazy, especially since it's the opener, it's at night, it's Manning's first game, and the Broncos ousted the Steelers in last season's playoffs.

I'd recommend Sports Column, but get there early. http://www.denversportscolumn.com/

Actually, here's a good list of bars, depending on what part of Denver you might be able to get to at the time:

http://denver.cbslocal.com/top-lists/best-sports-bars-in-denver/

Everything else I'd recommend has been said: Garden of the Gods, Pike's Peak, etc. Just getting into the mountains is a good idea, and any of the bigger mountain towns have good hiking and good grub. If you do end up having time for a day trip further up into the hills, let me know and I can point you to some good hikes.

I don't think any of the comic shops are worth spending time on. They're fine for the locals who visit every week, but for someone out of town, I doubt you'll find much to get you overly excited. The MHC warehouse is fun just to see the volume of books and to say you've witnessed firsthand the overpriced and over graded books, but other than that, not worth the hassle if you've got other things to do.

Well, you have to go downtown for the season opener against the Steelers. The game will be hard as hell and very costly to get into, but there are any number of bars to check out downtown. The Steelers always have a strong showing on game days, so it'll be crazy, especially since it's the opener, it's at night, it's Manning's first game, and the Broncos ousted the Steelers in last season's playoffs.

I'd recommend Sports Column, but get there early. http://www.denversportscolumn.com/

Actually, here's a good list of bars, depending on what part of Denver you might be able to get to at the time:

http://denver.cbslocal.com/top-lists/best-sports-bars-in-denver/

Everything else I'd recommend has been said: Garden of the Gods, Pike's Peak, etc. Just getting into the mountains is a good idea, and any of the bigger mountain towns have good hiking and good grub. If you do end up having time for a day trip further up into the hills, let me know and I can point you to some good hikes.

I don't think any of the comic shops are worth spending time on. They're fine for the locals who visit every week, but for someone out of town, I doubt you'll find much to get you overly excited. The MHC warehouse is fun just to see the volume of books and to say you've witnessed firsthand the overpriced and over graded books, but other than that, not worth the hassle if you've got other things to do.

I'll definitely be hitting up a bar downtown to watch the game. Man we looked at ticket prices for the game and the cheapest out there were like 165 each for nosebleeds. Bleh.

Looks like I will be skippin Mile High, much to the lady's delight. I am going to work with my girlfriend and friend to see which exact sites we will be going to and hit you up for some recommendations.

If you want to grab a beer with us for the game let me know!