• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GA Slabs - CMA + Black Cat + misc <CLOSED>

58 posts in this topic

10g0gar.jpg

Future #3. From 1940. gerber lists as a 6, I thought it was rarer than that, maybe not.

RESTORED 3 - 3.5. Clear tape on spine, which I think is archival, no browning. Spine looks split underneath tape about half of spine, staples have been replaced as they are shiny and I can see where the old ones corroded inside. Book has slight ripple to it, but I see no major stains, Cr to OW supple pages. This book is very solid and readable, and displays very well. Lone Ranger, Phantom, etc strip reprints inside

$100

9pq4wg.jpg

Donald Duck 54, white pages, light pencil trace on fish mouth, white line on donalds bill to his shirt - some sort of color loss. The light pencil has been dry erased in some spots. The blue spots are on the mylar bag, not the book. Solid book that looks quite nice. 7.0

$75

10g0gar.jpg

Future #3. From 1940. gerber lists as a 6, I thought it was rarer than that, maybe not.

RESTORED 3 - 3.5. Clear tape on spine, which I think is archival, no browning. Spine looks split underneath tape about half of spine, staples have been replaced as they are shiny and I can see where the old ones corroded inside. Book has slight ripple to it, but I see no major stains, Cr to OW supple pages. This book is very solid and readable, and displays very well. Lone Ranger, Phantom, etc strip reprints inside

$100

:takeit:

10g0gar.jpg

$100

^^

Thank You Sir

10g0gar.jpg

$100

^^

Thank You Sir

Darn! I missed it… :frustrated:

OT: You should not forget that the series (Future #1-4) contains possibly the very first, and among the few, US edition of an italian comic of the same period, "Saturno contro la Terra" ("Saturn against the Earth"), an early masterpiece by Cesare Zavattini and Federico Pedrocchi. Pedrocchi has been a hugely important figure, as he started the renowned "Italian Disney" school in the 1930s. :)

An image from an early "comic book" edition of the series (from the late 1940s):

saturno1.jpg

ofdkc8.jpg

Daredevil #7, yes it says #6 on cover, but it's #7

Note the tape on the spine, taped the whole length. I think this is archival tape, it's been there a while with no browning. Why is it there, I don't really know. It looks like somebody wanted to protect the spine and prevent staple tears. Without the tape I would grade this 7 or so. I don't think the tape is really doing anything to improve the grade, so I will call this a restored 7. Moderate tanning on the inside of the front and back covers, but the pages are OW to white (really nice for a book this old). Great art and stories. Daredevil vs the goon with a plate in his head wielding a meat cleaver, a nice Pat Patriot (Wonder Woman clone) story, Ghost vs Yellow Claw, and others.

Tough to price this with the tape.

$160

:takeit: @10% off

10g0gar.jpg

$100

^^

Thank You Sir

Darn! I missed it… :frustrated:

OT: You should not forget that the series (Future #1-4) contains possibly the very first, and among the few, US edition of an italian comic of the same period, "Saturno contro la Terra" ("Saturn against the Earth"), an early masterpiece by Cesare Zavattini and Federico Pedrocchi. Pedrocchi has been a hugely important figure, as he started the renowned "Italian Disney" school in the 1930s. :)

An image from an early "comic book" edition of the series (from the late 1940s):

saturno1.jpg

Thanks for that info. It is a neat book, and I have enjoyed owning it. Only selling it because I need the $. It's going to a good home I guess lol

ofdkc8.jpg

Daredevil #7, yes it says #6 on cover, but it's #7

Note the tape on the spine, taped the whole length. I think this is archival tape, it's been there a while with no browning. Why is it there, I don't really know. It looks like somebody wanted to protect the spine and prevent staple tears. Without the tape I would grade this 7 or so. I don't think the tape is really doing anything to improve the grade, so I will call this a restored 7. Moderate tanning on the inside of the front and back covers, but the pages are OW to white (really nice for a book this old). Great art and stories. Daredevil vs the goon with a plate in his head wielding a meat cleaver, a nice Pat Patriot (Wonder Woman clone) story, Ghost vs Yellow Claw, and others.

Tough to price this with the tape.

$160

:takeit: @10% off

Ok it is yours sir, and thank you.

Thanks for that info. It is a neat book, and I have enjoyed owning it. Only selling it because I need the $. It's going to a good home I guess lol

Oh, I’m sure of that; 143ksk knows the stuff. ;)

BTW, not having seen a single issue of Future Comics I am unsure whether the series was completed or not, but I am pretty sure it wasn’t, since it’s a long saga, in three parts (I have a bound volume the size of a Marvel Masterworks).

It’s one of the most important italian comics of the 1930s and it’s been reprinted in many forms here.

I’ll ask 143ksk some details on the edition… :)

That’s too cool 143ksk, in fact I’m thinking it would be cool to prepare a thread about "Saturn against the Earth" and Pedrocchi.

Although I’d have priority on some MLJ material you surely have. lol

Just kidding, however I may appreciate some help in finding coverless or reader copies of some war-themed MLJ stuff I‘d need to scan (in particular, a few of Biro’s Corporal Collins episodes).

Apologies to Warren for partial spamming of his sales thread… :hi: