• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM Amazing Spider-Man 100

44 posts in this topic

Great looking book that is begging for a dry-cleaning! Send that baby off for a press and clean!

9.4 as is.

Great looking book that is begging for a dry-cleaning! Send that baby off for a press and clean!

9.4 as is.

Thank you for taking the time to look at my ASM 100 and giving me sound advice.

I just read this from the Classics Incorporated website:

Does CGC consider pressing to be restoration?

CGC does not consider pressing to be restoration. In fact CGC exclusively RECOMMENDS Classics Incorporated for pressing on their website. In CGC’s eyes, there is a fine line between what constitutes restoration and what does not. Because our services cover any and all ethical improvements to a comic book, we innately understand where this line lies. We make sure your comic does not receive a restored grade from CGC when we press. CGC also does not consider dry cleaning to be restoration, which we automatically include in our pressing service. Dry cleaning’s main purpose is to remove dirt or pencil from a cover, particularly in the white areas. Dry cleaning does not remove tanning, stains, pen or marker, sun shadows or foxing. If we feel your book’s grade would benefit from a dry cleaning, we will automatically perform this during the press process.

Apparently, Classic Incorporated is the #1 leader in this field and is RECOMMENDED by CGC?!?!?

Classics Incorporated

http://classicsincorporated.com/

Have you or anyone else had experiences with either of this outfit?

Will this outfit forward my comic book to CGC after they're done with it? It doesn't make sense for me to ship my ASM 100 from Thailand to the USA, get it reurned from the "dry cleaning," and then ship back to the USA for CGC.

Any guidance you can give me would be greatly appreciated. (worship)

P.S. Can either of the outfits above help with "overspray?" That is a printer's defect. Not sure, so I wonder. Does CGS detract for overspray? hm

I have only used Classics and Matt did an outstanding job. I have a book with Joey now, mostly because everyone raves about his service. Both Matt and Joey forward to CGC once they are done if you want them to and you get a discount off the CGC grading fees.

Joey is amazingly cheap. And once you consider the 10% cgc discount it almost becomes absurd not to have him press and clean your books before submission.

I have only used Classics and Matt did an outstanding job. I have a book with Joey now, mostly because everyone raves about his service. Both Matt and Joey forward to CGC once they are done if you want them to and you get a discount off the CGC grading fees.

Joey is amazingly cheap. And once you consider the 10% cgc discount it almost becomes absurd not to have him press and clean your books before submission.

Hey Jake, thanks for your helpful information about your experience with Matt and Classics Incorporated.

About your recommendation. Who is this "Joey" you speak of? Is that Joey Post? If so, an eBayer with that name "joeypost" bid on my Avengers 110 on eBay recently (lost out in last second.) Is he a member here on the board under that name?

Is Joey part of Classics Incorporated with Matt, or is he with a different outfit? If so, can you let me know the name of his company so I can reach him? Or is he an independent?

I would appreciate any contact info. Thanks, friend! an_cheers.gif

I've also looked at your auctions in the past. I think the high shipping cost is a real deterrent- no offense. You seem to have some nice books though.

Just a follow up.

If I get the ASM 100 to CGC and it scores a 9.2 to 9.4, I think the $10.00 Thailand Registered Airmail Fee will no longer be an obstacle or deterrent.

What do you think? hm

You could probably sell it a lot easier. But I can tell you, as a buyer, I do pay attention to where people are from. A lot of time if they aren't in the US I don't buy from them. Recently I accidentally got a book off eBay and the guy was in Canada and I didn't notice. It took forever to get to me.

It is just a deterrent is all. Again no offense your books look nice and you seem honest.

You could probably sell it a lot easier. But I can tell you, as a buyer, I do pay attention to where people are from. A lot of time if they aren't in the US I don't buy from them. Recently I accidentally got a book off eBay and the guy was in Canada and I didn't notice. It took forever to get to me.

It is just a deterrent is all. Again no offense your books look nice and you seem honest.

Again, no offense taken. I appreciate being able to discuss this matter with you and others here. It enables me to learn about the market out here.

Sorry to hear you had such a negative experience with an international eBay seller! an_lightening.gif What type of service did the Canadian eBay Seller use? What do you consider as "forever?" think2.gif

Thailand Post Registered Airmail takes between 7 to 10 buisness days for a package shipped from Bangkok to be delivered anywhere in the USA or the world for that matter. In fact, I recently shipped a comic book to Madrid, Spain from Bangkok, and the buyer received it in 5 business days! That is FAST! kidu.gif

If you have books sent inside the USA by USPS media mail, it's the relatively the same delivery time frame.

When I lived in the USA, I shipped comic books using USPS Priority. Cost of a basic package was $5.95 and it took 3 business days.

Eveyone's tolerance level is different with regards to shipping times. Some people need their comic books ASAP, while others are in no rush and can wait a reasonable period of time.

My positive feedback is starting to roll in from my recent eBay buyers, and many comments are slanted towards how there was no problem dealing with me even though I'm in Thailand.

That will surely help me as I continue to move forward selling on eBay. heavy-metal-044.gif

Lastly, if I'm selling a 9.6 CGC ASM 100, I think more people will be interested and discount the location of where I'm at. We will see if this holds true, since I plan to get my ASM 100 dry-clean from Joey and then submitted to CGC. Then I'm slapping it up on eBay to test my theory.

GLWTS (thumbs u

Good points made about your location. I hope it won't be a factor when the time comes.

I had some OA sent from the Philippines that was IN TRANSIT for about 5 weeks.

35 days worth of perfect strangers around the world handling my package isn't as pleasant as it may sound.

ps Hope you can get that 9.6 too :wishluck:

If you don't have anything against pressing, I'd send what you have to Joey and let him handle it, shipping to CGC etc.

I suggest lowering your shipping fees on items which should bring higher prices. On cheap stuff you would still have issues where you have to ask for more S&H fees. For stuff over say $100 or so, you might choose to set shipping closer to what inside US shipping is.

Always make it clear where it's coming from, and shipping times. Bidders will bid accordingly, often ignoring items with very high S&H rates. You should play with those rates, to find the best range to get the most bidders. That's easy to say, but tough to do. Regards,

Eveyone's tolerance level is different with regards to shipping times. Some people need their comic books ASAP, while others are in no rush and can wait a reasonable period of time.

My positive feedback is starting to roll in from my recent eBay buyers, and many comments are slanted towards how there was no problem dealing with me even though I'm in Thailand.

Lastly, if I'm selling a 9.6 CGC ASM 100, I think more people will be interested and discount the location of where I'm at. We will see if this holds true, since I plan to get my ASM 100 dry-clean from Joey and then submitted to CGC. Then I'm slapping it up on eBay to test my theory.

Let the boards know when this whole process is complete, what it got from CGC (to see if we are all full of $#!t or not), and it's up on ebay. I'm looking to upgrade my ASM 100 :-D

GLWTS (thumbs u

Good points made about your location. I hope it won't be a factor when the time comes.

35 days worth of perfect strangers around the world handling my package isn't as pleasant as it may sound.

Thanks for your reply.

I checked out PhilPost, the mail service for the Philippines. Here is the list of international mail service options they provide from the Philippines:

http://philpost.gov.ph/web/international-mail-service/

What service did the Philippines seller use to ship your OA to you? SURFACE mail?

From the website:

Surface Parcel Post

The cheapest means of sending parcels to foreign countries with which the Philippines has bilateral agreements. Otherwise, parcels may be sent only through intermediary of the United States of America. Surface parcels are transported to the country of destination by interocean vessels.

That means your original art was shipped on a boat! No wonder it took 35 days! Didn't he give you the option of AIR MAIL? doh!

This is truly an example of "you get what you pay for" in terms of delivery time. Lesson learned. Perhaps that is why you and many others shy away from international sellers.

Everyone refuses to read what I've written I guess.

Thailand Post Registered Airmail takes between 7 to 10 business days TOPS to anywhere in the world, and is the only service that provides online tracking both in the country of origin (e.g., Thailand) as well as the destination country (USPS, Australian Post, Canadian Post, etc.)

Registered Mail is part of the EMS Cooperative services. There are approximately 173 countries and their postal sytems adhere to a uniform protocol:

http://www.ems.coop/members-ems-cooperative

Anyway, I'm not here to shill for Thailand Post Registered Airmail.

I just want to point out that the difference in delivery time and costs are negligible.

Also, I sell on eBay. ALL transactions are covered. Buyer protection with eBay and PayPal.

Again, thanks for your imput.

I will certainly alert the board of when my ASM 100 gets back graded by CGC.

If you don't have anything against pressing, I'd send what you have to Joey and let him handle it, shipping to CGC etc.

I suggest lowering your shipping fees on items which should bring higher prices. On cheap stuff you would still have issues where you have to ask for more S&H fees. For stuff over say $100 or so, you might choose to set shipping closer to what inside US shipping is.

Always make it clear where it's coming from, and shipping times. Bidders will bid accordingly, often ignoring items with very high S&H rates. You should play with those rates, to find the best range to get the most bidders. That's easy to say, but tough to do. Regards,

Thanks for your imput. Much appreciated.

All my auction listings have this information clearly stated.

Z-POBAddress4-OK.jpg

In any event, I just have to plod along.

As I stated before, I'm starting to get my initial wave of POSITIVE feedback in from my international buyers.

Thanks again for your reply. I appreciate it greatly.

Again, no offense taken. I appreciate being able to discuss this matter with you and others here. It enables me to learn about the market out here.

Sorry to hear you had such a negative experience with an international eBay seller! an_lightening.gif What type of service did the Canadian eBay Seller use? What do you consider as "forever?" think2.gif

Thailand Post Registered Airmail takes between 7 to 10 buisness days for a package shipped from Bangkok to be delivered anywhere in the USA or the world for that matter. In fact, I recently shipped a comic book to Madrid, Spain from Bangkok, and the buyer received it in 5 business days! That is FAST! kidu.gif

If you have books sent inside the USA by USPS media mail, it's the relatively the same delivery time frame.

When I lived in the USA, I shipped comic books using USPS Priority. Cost of a basic package was $5.95 and it took 3 business days.

That will surely help me as I continue to move forward selling on eBay. heavy-metal-044.gif

The book from Canada probably wasn't that long, but I bought two things a few days after it and they came days before. It was also difficult to track things which didn't help.

It would probably help greatly if the book was CGCed. One thing to consider too though is how much is it going to cost for you to ship the book all over getting pressed, CGCed, and then back to you. I'd look into that. Have you also checked what the book is going for CGCed.

The book from Canada probably wasn't that long, but I bought two things a few days after it and they came days before. It was also difficult to track things which didn't help.

It would probably help greatly if the book was CGCed. One thing to consider too though is how much is it going to cost for you to ship the book all over getting pressed, CGCed, and then back to you. I'd look into that. Have you also checked what the book is going for CGCed.

I understand. While you were waiting for the item from the Canadian seller, items you had order after from a USA seller arrived before. This was the reason why you perceived it took "forever."

I checked out Canada Post and their international shipping options to the USA:

http://www.canadapost.ca/cpo/mc/personal/productsservices/send/parcels.jsf#Rates

The cheapest service Canada Post provides tracking for packages being shipped to the USA is Expedited Parcel™ – USA.

The Canadian seller you dealt with probably used Light Packet™ – USA or Small Packet™ – USA Air since these do not provide tracking.

I definitely plan on getting my gems CGCed. ASM 100, 96,97,98, 119, 120, 121, 122, etc.

Not sure what a CGC ASM 100 in either 9.2 or 9.4 goes for. hm

I haven't joined GPA yet to track sales data, but plan to do so in the next day or so.

I don't have any CGC books, so I never felt it was necessary. Now that I'm going to get many of my "key" gems CGCed, it makes sense to.

Thanks again for the dialogue!

GLWTS (thumbs u

That means your original art was shipped on a boat! No wonder it took 35 days! Didn't he give you the option of AIR MAIL? doh!

This is truly an example of "you get what you pay for" in terms of delivery time. Lesson learned. Perhaps that is why you and many others shy away from international sellers.

Everyone refuses to read what I've written I guess.

Thailand Post Registered Airmail takes between 7 to 10 business days TOPS to anywhere in the world, and is the only service that provides online tracking both in the country of origin (e.g., Thailand) as well as the destination country (USPS, Australian Post, Canadian Post, etc.)

Registered Mail is part of the EMS Cooperative services. There are approximately 173 countries and their postal sytems adhere to a uniform protocol:

http://www.ems.coop/members-ems-cooperative

Anyway, I'm not here to shill for Thailand Post Registered Airmail.

I just want to point out that the difference in delivery time and costs are negligible.

Also, I sell on eBay. ALL transactions are covered. Buyer protection with eBay and PayPal.

Again, thanks for your imput.

I will certainly alert the board of when my ASM 100 gets back graded by CGC.

Sure, I read what you posted. I'm not disputing or refusing what you told us. They're probably a tighter outfit. Stuff happens, though, and some people shy away,

but if I saw something I liked in your thread I wouldn't hesitate.

I'm not beachin' that much about my OA order. Sure I was concerned, but I just thought they moved mail slowly their too. :baiting:postal workers.

But I was informed before hand it would take a long time to ship judging feedback from recent shipments, all of which reached their destination.

But on a ship. Hadn't thought of that. Not a smart way to transport The Hulk and The Thing :ohnoez:

I highly recommend Matt Nelson from Classics Incorporated. He does all my work and is a true miracle worker!

I can't vouch for anyone else's work...I personally don't mind spending extra money for items or services I consider to be the best.

Hi Modok,

my response is somewhat difference since, being in Italy, I would not consider (generally speaking) to buy a CGC comic, especially a silver or bronze age comic.

I have happened to look at your auctions and personally, as a non-US customer, I can make these observations:

- shipping for me it’s the same (both from US and/or Thailand), but I understand US customers may be put off by higher shipping;

- keep in mind that there are people which just want nice grade comics, but not everyone is striving for super-high grades. If you are sure you have copies in super-high grade, and want to earn the most out of them, then have them professionally graded by CGC, but I would recommend to keep your auction mixed (both "raw" and CGC). I would not spend a fortune on most books, and I’m sure there are a lot of people which would be more than happy with a nice copy rather than a super-NM. It‘s always difficult to judge from photos anyway.

- keeping the above in mind, I think it’s right to start your auction at the price you think fair. I never see having .50 or .99 USD starting prices as a "good strategy", although sometimes it could be. Prices on good books will eventually go up anyway. If you want to lower the starting bid, it’s not excessively costly in terms of eBay fees I would add a solid "Buy It Now" (what you think best) price for the item, before the auction starts. I tend to look more for auctions with maybe a low starting price, but a "Buy It Now" option as well. I can always choose.

- changing your eBay name from "john-c-holmes" to "Modok" can be of help… lol

Hi Modok,

my response is somewhat difference since, being in Italy, I would not consider (generally speaking) to buy a CGC comic, especially a silver or bronze age comic.

I have happened to look at your auctions and personally, as a non-US customer, I can make these observations:

- shipping for me it’s the same (both from US and/or Thailand), but I understand US customers may be put off by higher shipping;

- keep in mind that there are people which just want nice grade comics, but not everyone is striving for super-high grades. If you are sure you have copies in super-high grade, and want to earn the most out of them, then have them professionally graded by CGC, but I would recommend to keep your auction mixed (both "raw" and CGC). I would not spend a fortune on most books, and I’m sure there are a lot of people which would be more than happy with a nice copy rather than a super-NM. It‘s always difficult to judge from photos anyway.

- keeping the above in mind, I think it’s right to start your auction at the price you think fair. I never see having .50 or .99 USD starting prices as a "good strategy", although sometimes it could be. Prices on good books will eventually go up anyway. If you want to lower the starting bid, it’s not excessively costly in terms of eBay fees I would add a solid "Buy It Now" (what you think best) price for the item, before the auction starts. I tend to look more for auctions with maybe a low starting price, but a "Buy It Now" option as well. I can always choose.

- changing your eBay name from "john-c-holmes" to "Modok" can be of help… lol

I apologize for not getting back to you sooner. I want to thank you so much for taking the time to give me such a thoughtful reply to my situation as an eBay buyer residing in Italy. It's so nice to get imput from others who do not live in the USA about this.

Onto your points.

1. Yes, the cost of shipping is negligible shipping to you from either USA or Thailand. I think it may be cheaper from where I'm at. Strange, huh?

2.I was thinking of implementing the strategy you proposed. Offering a "mix" of CGC and high grade "rew" books. I really think this is a greta idea. I need to get my submission to CGC ASAP in order to execute this plan.

3. Still tinkering with my starting bid price. So far, I've had success getting the 1st bid in.

4. Changing my eBay ID? No can do. I've had john-c-holmes since I started at eBay back in 1999. I've established a brand loyalty out there in eBay Land for the "big" man! lol Not sure my eBay ID has any bearing on whether a buyer wants to buy my items. I never had the problem when I was in the USA.

Again, thank you so much for taking your valuable time and responding to my thread. I appreciate it greatly. :golfclap: