• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Standard "Here's what I got back from CGC" post

9 posts in this topic

Why are teasers mandatory? : /

So I got my current oldest submission on the mail today. How did I do you ask (or probably didn't but I'm gonna tell you anyway)? Well let's find out!

Walking Dead #7 9.6 - Personal copy, satisfied I suppose.

Walking Dead #8 2nd Print 9.8 - Personal copy, wahoo!

Walking Dead #9 9.8 - Personal copy, wahoo!

Walking Dead #19 9.8 - Personal copy, first Michonne, super wahoo!

Walking Dead #27 9.8 - Personal copy, first Governor, super wahoo!

Walking Dead #33 9.8 - Personal copy, wahoo!

Walking Dead #61 9.6 - Personal copy, Chew preview, no wahoo. I have submitted 2 of these now, and got a 9.6 both times, why must the 9.8 elude me? WHY?? (I'm shaking my fists at the sky right now)

Amazing Spider-Man #300 9.2 - Random late night eBay purchase, first Venom, expecting an 8.5 so wahoo!

Alpha Flight #51 9.4 - Pulled from a 25 cent bin at a show, first Jim Lee at Marvel art, wahoo!

X-Men #135 9.6 - Comic shop purchase, Dark Phoenix saga issue, rant below.

X-Men #141 9.8 - Came from mixed X-Men lot on eBay, Days of Future Past issue, rant below.

Here's a story about the X-Men issues. I am currently working on a graded X-Men run. I am trying for 1-300 as nothing very important happens after 266 and that's a weird number to stop on. I have many early issues already graded as I have focused more on them to get some of the harder and more expensive issues out of the way. I really want nothing but 9.8s in the more modern ones, the old ones I pretty much take what I can get (my number 1 is currently a 2.5)

So anyway I was very very picky about the 135 I bought, I love that cover so much, and I was so sure I had found a 9.8. The 141 came out of some random lot of X-Men issues I bought on eBay one day because it was a price I couldn't pass up. I only submitted it to help get my book count up and reduce some of the shipping costs because I felt it would be around a 9.0 copy. I was heartbroken to see my 135 get a 9.6 as I spent a long time searching for that particular copy to submit and don't have another one lined up, but then before despair could set in I saw the 141 9.8. I could not and still cannot believe that. I was not trying for this grade, expecting it or even entertaining it could be possible. I have it in my hands and still can't believe it. So I think I will just sell the 135 and put that money toward an already slabbed 9.8 and be done with it because I feel I won the lottery on the 141 anyway.

So all in all I couldn't be much happier with this submission. Here are some pictures cause that's what people do right?

Thanks for reading!

12010.jpg

See more journals by GamingEtc

Thanks Surfer, and let me be clear, I am *happy* with the 135, it's a gorgeous book, I just thought for sure I had that 9.8. But I think instead of investing in the search for another personally submitted copy it would be smarter to just sell mine and buy the grade. Good luck in your current searches too (thumbs u

What frustrates me is when you feel the 9.6 looks BETTER than the 9.8. I've thought that many times, but I don't hate on CGC at all. I am completely satisfied with my submissions far more than I am not. I love the hobby and the service, sometimes I stop and think about how much joy slabbed books bring me and I start to get a little weirded out. So I distract myself by buying another one! :whistle:

Totally relate/feel the pain on the "look". In the squarebound reprint runs and earlier, there's a lot of fudge factor in the 8.5-9.4 range for what "looks" the best. I'm mostly devoted to the 1-200 run on the registry sets and have 9.8's from 132 onwards. I have to say, if you're patient and used saved searches, it's very easy to get great slabs in the 150-300 range especially if you hunt down lots.

Also, if you get to shows, I find a lot of chances to get a good bulk deal if you find a handful of slabs from that era and do some "American Pickers" mojo speak. "I'll give you X cash for all of these" does wonders. Emphasis on the cash part. I see a lot of these around.