• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Married Comics - How are they Graded

21 posts in this topic

I have an Amazing Spider-Man #21 where the actual body of the comic is in fantastic conditon, in fact it came back with White pages. However it has a married cover which i thought was in fantastic condition also and was expecting a Green label 9.4. It came back an 8.0 and i am just wondering if these sorts of particular comics get downgraded just for having 'married covers.'

Do you have a scan of the front and back?

Sorry i took so long to get back to you on this but i was so sure i did have scans that i had to check my old computer as well but i cant find it. It is at Comiclink now and im going to provide a link to see what everyone thinks.

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2Fauctions%2Fpreview%2Easp%3Fcode%3D2012sept%26session%3D4%26pg%3D2%23Item%5F947621&id=947621

I just think a 8.0 is too harsh. What do others think?

There can be several reasons why it graded 8.0. Often when you are doing a marriage the staple holes don't line up and you have to create new ones, this would mean the cover has 4 holes along the spine. Also, non color break creases, bends and dents can have a larger impact on grade than many think and don't show up very well in a scan.

It is not uncommon that if those defects are pressed out, a book can go from a 8.0 to a 9.2. ;)

There can be several reasons why it graded 8.0. Often when you are doing a marriage the staple holes don't line up and you have to create new ones, this would mean the cover has 4 holes along the spine. Also, non color break creases, bends and dents can have a larger impact on grade than many think and don't show up very well in a scan.

It is not uncommon that if those defects are pressed out, a book can go from a 8.0 to a 9.2. ;)

Ive been racking my brains out about the '4 holes along the spine' bit and i really cant remember for sure. I would say that if i had to place a bet i would say no but i might be wrong. As for the pressing out bends, dents etc i just cant be bothered with all that but i dont begrudge anyone if they want to have that done.

Ive been racking my brains out about the '4 holes along the spine' bit and i really cant remember for sure. I would say that if i had to place a bet i would say no but i might be wrong. As for the pressing out bends, dents etc i just cant be bothered with all that but i dont begrudge anyone if they want to have that done.

Maybe it's all the color breaking spine ticks that bring it down? hm

I think it's graded right on the money.

I think you are right.

I think whoever married the cover to the interior used the existing holes, since the cover looks to be shifted upward compared to the interior pages.

There's a big overhang on the top, and exposed interior pages on the bottom.

Oakman you must have amazing eyesight because i can only see 1 colour breaking spine tick about half way down.

Oakman you must have amazing eyesight because i can only see 1 colour breaking spine tick about half way down.

enlarge the scan.

enlarge the scan.

Well i saved it, opened it up in paint and enlarged it to 200% and can still only see 1 spine tick.

enlarge the scan.

Well i saved it, opened it up in paint and enlarged it to 200% and can still only see 1 spine tick.

There are six spine ticks,bent over hang top of book,crease at lower right corner of book.Maybe you should consider getting a better computer?