• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The More The Merrier... posted by bagofleas

12 posts in this topic

SIGS SIGS SIGS!

When the registry awards were coming up for this year I really tried to get myself back into the top position for my New Mutants set that I had lost to TNerb only a few months prior.

Both TNerb and I only needed three more issues to complete the set at the time. I knew it would come down to finding some SS copies of issues I already had in order to make up the difference. But that means I am limited to what happens to show up.

I tried a couple of times for signed copies of #87 and #98 but never did manage to win any of the few that popped up. I was a little limited on what I could spend at the time. It was so frustrating.

The one shining point of light during this time (other than TNerbs continuing to try and help me) was winning an auction for ONE HECK OF AN OAK! Getting a signed-and-top-graded issue of a series I collect is wonderful in and of itself. Getting a multiply signed copy is even MORE UPLIFTING!

I managed to win an auction for a TRIPLE SIGNED COPY of New Mutants #95 (see pic below)!!! SO COOL!

There is only one other 9.8 SS copy of this issue out there and it is owned by TNerb. His is signed by Rob Liefeld.

Mine is signed by Rob Liefeld (artist), Louise Simonson (writer) AND Tom DeFalco (editor of the issue)!! Unbelieveable!

I may have lost the top ranking on this set for the registry awards this year but acquiring THIS Top-Of-The-Heap issue certainly helped to alleviate some of my frustration!

Getting back on track with my endeavors now thanks to TNerb and RonnyLama is ALSO A HUGE HELP! Ultimate thanks to both of them. They are two of the best friends a CGC collector could ask for! U GUYS ROCK!!!

LONG LIVE CANNONBALL!!!

12039.jpg

See more journals by bagofleas

Congrats on picking up this issue, and loving the camaraderie! That's been great to see, whether it's old friends that have shared their passion for collecting with each other for years, or welcoming someone new to the comics community. This is how people should treat each other and I'm happy to be a part of it.

sig.jpg

Yes, we both do. There was a 9.0 of the 2nd print on Ebay a long time back but so far I think there is only one 9.8 out there and I've never seen it go up for sale. It's got that cool looking gold cover.

That issue will give us both complete Rob Liefeld 85-100 sets!

Looks like you're both missing #58 and Annual #4 as well. Just curious, since you can't find a high grade slabbed copy of these books, why not submit a less than perfect copy for grading yourself and upgrade it later? At least that way your set is complete.

I can't speak for TNerb, but as for me, it's my perfectionist nature when it comes to my collecting, especially in the CGC department.

I just can't help myself. If the copy of #47 that RonnyLama is sending me comes back in a 9.6 or less, I will put it in my set just to have it in there, but it will grind at me even worse than having no graded copy at all. It's just the way I am. I set a goal for myself and I'm just not happy with it unless it is COMPLETELY the way I want it to be.

But even if that issue does not come in at a 9.8, I will still be forever grateful to RonnyLama for doing what he can to help me.

:whee:

just out of curiosity, do the second prints (or later prints) come into play when competing for best set? Howabout things like the Mark Jeweler's variants?

I would think that if I went through the trouble to collect 100+ books in super high grade, I'd also want to get any other extras like 87 2nd print and the 2nd and 3rd prints of 100.

That is too funny. I was like that with my 9.6 copies for awhile, nothing else was acceptable. Then I got a 9.4 and stuck with it, then a few 8.5's and a 7.5 on some of the older books I submitted. I realized I can't find or afford 9.6 copies of all the Silver Age books in my collection so I've come to accept and appreciate the grades I have while keeping an eye out to possibly upgrade down the line. :)

There is a second New Mutants set called "New Mutants #85-#100 Liefeld" That DOES include the second prints of #87 & #95 as well as the second and third prints of #100.

Sadly, TNerb has passed me on that set as well thanks to having far more signed copies than me. Neither these later printings nor the Mark Jeweler's Variants are included in the complete set category.

(shrug)