• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM Amazing Spider-Man 97

26 posts in this topic

I'm a newbie at grading, but I think this particular "key" ASM 97 I own has a legitimate chance to garner a CGC 9.4 at a minimum.

This will be one of my first books I submit to CGC in the near future. I plan to submit between 4 to 6 in the first trial batch. I will post scans of them here, and then we'll revisit each thread to see how close everyone got to the actual grade.

I know I need to get a scanner soon. The photo doesn't do the front cover justice. The colors are very bright and the corners are SHARP, and not rounded as they may appear in the photo. I bought this copy back in 1995 and it was represented to me to be in NM condition.

What do you guys think?

CGC1-2.jpg

CGC1a-1.jpg

Gorgeous book!! It's possible it might get a 9.4 :wishluck: , but I honestly think the staple stress lines, at least 4 color breaks on the spine and the slightly blunted bottom corners will land it a 9.2-

Beautiful!

Thanks for your "eyes" on this.

No doubt I need to get a scanner ASAP!

I can only dream that this would get a 9.4! :cloud9:

Gorgeous book!! It's possible it might get a 9.4 :wishluck: , but I honestly think the staple stress lines, at least 4 color breaks on the spine and the slightly blunted bottom corners will land it a 9.2-

Beautiful!

I cropped the complete spine in 3 sections as well as the 2 FC top and bottom corners.

Hope this helps people to see the spine stress. I can't see anything major, but eyes are blurry from sitting at the PC all day! :insane:

ASM97-1.jpgASM97-2.jpgASM97-3.jpg

ASM97-4.jpgASM97-5.jpg

9.2 but a great book.

If you buy a scanner pay attention to how big it is. I can't fit my CGCed books in my scanner. I didn't buy it, but just pointing it out.

Same here, close but no cigar.

Thanks, guys, for submitting your grades.

When I get this back from CGC, I'll revive this thread and let you know how close you were.

Anyone who has not graded this is welcome to, since we know that CGC may take some time to get this back to me! lol

I will be submitting either near the end of this month or early next.

9.0 for me.

Your grading is incredibly harsh. Please list the defects you see.

Again, what are you seeing these other guys are missing?

In any event, thanks for your opinion. When I get this back from CGC, we'll see how far off you are.

joint.gif

Its funny that every time someone grades lower than what you want, you think they are crazy.

I think it is a solid 9.2 but it could go either way. The corners aren't sharp and the top right corner looks almost worn and scuffed. I have am X-Men 100 CGC 8.5 that I feel like is close to this condition but the difference (IMHO) is that your book has great colors and eye appeal and this is where the grading gets subjective. Also I believe my staple stress lines are a little longer. Good luck! I hope it comes back a 9.4 for you but I am leaning toward the 9.2.

Its funny that every time someone grades lower than what you want, you think they are crazy.

HUH? think2.gif

Well, when everyone comes into a PGM thread I start and grades this book consistently a 9.2 to 9.4, a lone grader comes in and states a 9.0, of course I'm disappointed. an_lightening.gif

I never said I thought cpannell or anyone was "crazy" for giving me a low grades on the books I post here in the PGM forum. In the perfect world, I can get supporting evidence behind their grade. I'm curious about the grading process. That's all. I guess I was hoping he would let me know why he thought this ASM 97 was a 9.0 in his opinion. Kinda like requesting informal graders notes one would find at CGC.

You took the time to give me a detailed assessment of the defects you see from the photos I posted. I appreciate that. I really do.

Also, please be aware I have a quirky sense of humor and I by no means intend to make any member here feel as if I think they are "crazy" when grading my comic books. After all, I'm here to learn.

Again, thanks for helping me out with your grading explanation! an_cheers.gif