• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are your rarest books?

30 posts in this topic

Not to be rude, but, none of these books you listed are very rare to me. Just to the fact no one cares about having any of these books in high grade (in CGC at this time for sale)doesn't make them rare to me. I consider a rare book, one of extremely low print run(ie Detective 27-38, Action Comics 1-10, etc), key issues (Det 58, 66, 121, or Hulk 1), or older than 1950's. Just because I have a free comic book day comic in 10 cgc gem mint, doesn't make it rare or wanted by all. Most of the books you have listed are nice books, but nothing I would look twice or even catch my eye. Just some random books with high grades. I think rare is a relative term, cause if I wanted to I could probably find higher grades of each of these books, but who would want it, would it be worth the time, and would it be worth the money spent? Just a rant.................

I'd also like to add that books like Action Comics #1 did not have "extremely low print runs" or even low print runs at all. The first issue had 200,000 copies printed and within a years time had a 1,000,000 issue print run that NO book has now, and this was a time when there was no frame of reference for how successful it might be. Compare that to the new 52 Action Comics number 1 that didn't print much more than 200,000 copies, built around a hyped up gimmick purely to sell as many issues as possible. Not to be rude, but that whole response was quite ignorant.

I dig your posts Surfer, keep it up!

I'd also like to add that you forgot to factor in the countless thousands of copies of the original that were recycled in paper drives during WWII and the thousands more that were simply thrown out over time as they were never meant to be collected resulting in a paltry 57 total copies in the census which qualifies it as rare. Today, everyone saves anything with a #1 or "limited collectors edition" ( kiss of death ), ensuring their future worthlessness such as new 52 Action Comics #1 ( 289 certified already ). How you can actually compare the two boggles the mind as the circumstances are so drastically different but oh well I guess. (shrug)

I think the Gerber Scarcity Index is appropriate to mention here. It's often used to compare Golden Age books. The scale is listed below..I pasted and copied the info from a website:

1. Very common - likely every comic store in the country has copies of this comic.

2. Common - You might have to call around to a few stores to locate this comic book. Generally can be found without trouble.

3. More than Average There are more comics in existance than the average for comics published between 1933 to 1960.

4. Average Scarcity - This index number indicates that there are about 1,000 to 2,000 in existance or about average for comics printed between 1933-1960

5. Less than average in existance. Generally between 200 and 1000 still exist, this one is more difficult to find. Diligence should pay off after several weeks and checking with most dealers and following most ads in comics newspapers.

6. Uncommon. Between 50 to 200 still exist. Clearly we are getting into scarce and difficult issues to find. It is a good comic to hard because demand for this comic book generally exceeds its supply.

7. Scarce. Between 20 to 50 still in existence. You are fortunate to find one of these and it is well worth keepingsince you generally can command the price when ready to sell. A great addition to any collection, you have to be lucky to be able to purchase one.

8. Rare Between 11 to 20 in existence. If you find one of these grab it really quickly because you will likely never get another chance. High premium prices expected and recieved for comic books in this category.

9 Very Rare From 6 to 10 copies exist. These are so rare that they are seldom resold. If you get a chance to buy one,do it!

10 Unique Or close to it. Less than 5 known copies in existence.

11 Non-Existent but known to have been printed.

I currently own a few books that would be classified as Gerber 5. Lots of Modern Age comic-con editions and other limited runs fall into this category. A few recent examples would be Revival 1 Third Eye Variant (1,000 copies) and the Spawn 222 Kudranski Variant (limited to 400 copies).

The rarest book I've seen for sale fell into the category of Gerber 8.

I never use the census to determine the rarity of a book and in my opinion the condition of a book has no bearing on a book's rarity...only its desirability.

Keep in mind the Gerber Scarcity Index was published in 1989.....before the internet came along and changed everything. Things like ebay and the census have long since proven the Gerber estimates inaccurate although people still like to use it as a reference point especially when selling. That guide even recommends cleaning books as it's not restoration. The CGC census is a far more practical way to gauge a books scarcity as it's current with the times. Imagine if CGC decided to do away with the census and use 1989 estimates instead. So don't put too much faith in the Gerber estimates as a lot has changed over the last 23 years.

Not to be rude, but, none of these books you listed are very rare to me. Just to the fact no one cares about having any of these books in high grade (in CGC at this time for sale)doesn't make them rare to me. I consider a rare book, one of extremely low print run(ie Detective 27-38, Action Comics 1-10, etc), key issues (Det 58, 66, 121, or Hulk 1), or older than 1950's. Just because I have a free comic book day comic in 10 cgc gem mint, doesn't make it rare or wanted by all. Most of the books you have listed are nice books, but nothing I would look twice or even catch my eye. Just some random books with high grades. I think rare is a relative term, cause if I wanted to I could probably find higher grades of each of these books, but who would want it, would it be worth the time, and would it be worth the money spent? Just a rant.................

I'd also like to add that books like Action Comics #1 did not have "extremely low print runs" or even low print runs at all. The first issue had 200,000 copies printed and within a years time had a 1,000,000 issue print run that NO book has now, and this was a time when there was no frame of reference for how successful it might be. Compare that to the new 52 Action Comics number 1 that didn't print much more than 200,000 copies, built around a hyped up gimmick purely to sell as many issues as possible. Not to be rude, but that whole response was quite ignorant.

I dig your posts Surfer, keep it up!

I'd also like to add that you forgot to factor in the countless thousands of copies of the original that were recycled in paper drives during WWII and the thousands more that were simply thrown out over time as they were never meant to be collected resulting in a paltry 57 total copies in the census which qualifies it as rare. Today, everyone saves anything with a #1 or "limited collectors edition" ( kiss of death ), ensuring their future worthlessness such as new 52 Action Comics #1 ( 289 certified already ). How you can actually compare the two boggles the mind as the circumstances are so drastically different but oh well I guess. (shrug)

To me 57 copies is not rare, there have been numerous copies for sale over the last few years. It's highly desirable so they cost a lot but if you can afford one you can get one. Rare is, I have tons of cash ready to go, I've just never even seen one for sale.

I have heard it said there are at least 10 copies in the twin cities, unslabbed, by people well connected in the local comic world here. I have no proof of this, maybe they have seen them.

Again one has to distinguish - if we are talking Rare In Existance or Rare In High Grade. The original post is about books rare in high grade, the books I'm sure can be found at the local con just they are going be beat up.

I think your perspective also get affected if you are used to looking at census numbers or Wolverine 1 in 9.6 and above or Green Lama 1 in high grade ( :acclaim: )

This is my rarest comic, as I've never seen another copy and don't know anyone else who has, either. It's not in Overstreet, and I don't know either the publisher or publication date.

MLKsale-1.jpg

I just sent 7 copies of that one to CGC

DC is relaunching it next year, they are waiting for Jim Lee to finish his JLA run

:grin: [/quote

Look for the Splash Page where MLK decks an officer "Non-Violent THIS!", lots of broken glass Jim Lee style

...then look for it be sold by Moy for $20,000

So don't put too much faith in the Gerber estimates as a lot has changed over the last 23 years.

I assumed that adjustments had been made to the Gerber estimates over the last 23 years with the advent of widespread Internet access and the CGC Census.

Just because a book was once considered a Gerber 8, for example, does not mean it is currently a Gerber 8. I assumed that the classification could change based on the total of number of books accounted for.

It probably is a little outdated, but if you depend strictly on the census then you are assuming that everyone wants to slab books...and this is simply not so for a variety of reasons.

To me 57 copies is not rare, there have been numerous copies for sale over the last few years. It's highly desirable so they cost a lot but if you can afford one you can get one. Rare is, I have tons of cash ready to go, I've just never even seen one for sale.

This is kind of what I was thinking in terms of how rare a book was in high grade. If the average collector wanted to buy one of the issues I mentioned, they would A) Be able to buy the one issue in the same grade or higher that's currently available but at an inflated price, B) Not be able to pick up a copy in that grade or higher at all because there are none for sale (right now), or C) Try to find a high grade raw copy and submit it themselves hoping they will receive the desired grade.

I checked the census and these are the current high grade totals...

Avengers #110= 50 total in high grade, 38 in 9.6 and 12 in 9.8 (143 total graded)

Avengers #111= 24 total in HG, 21 in 9.6 and 3 in 9.8 (80 total graded)

Capt America #172= 24 total in HG, 20 in 9.6 and 4 in 9.8 (64 total graded)

Champions #17= 17 total in HG, 9 in 9.6 and 8 in 9.8 (30 total graded)

Daredevil #99= 23 total in HG, 19 in 9.6 and 4 in 9.8 (48 total graded)

Daredevil #111= 19 total in HG, 14 in 9.6 and 5 in 9.8 (57 total graded)

Fantastic Four #104= 16 total in HG, 13 in 9.6 and 3 in 9.8 (73 total graded)

Marvel Team-up #4= 23 total in HG, 18 in 9.6 and 5 in 9.8 (146 total graded)

Power Man and Iron Fist #57= 28 total in HG, 13 in 9.6 and 15 in 9.8 (79 total graded)

Realistically some of these are not highly sought after (as evidenced by the total number graded) so there are likely many other high grade raw copies out there someone could pick up (if they could find them). Some of the others though I would think are more desirable and collectors are just not willing to part with their copies currently...these also being harder to find in high grade given the relatively low number of high grade copies as compared to total number graded (particularly the MTU #4 9.6).

Personally I hope there aren't many more high grade copies found because I like owning (what I perceive as being) these rare beauties! :)