• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Need to Start Selecting CGC Candidates - PGM Amazing Spider-Man #s 119 &120

29 posts in this topic

I just meant your issues with your auctions not having a lo of traffic. I thought that was why you were going to CGC books to make them more desirable by collectors.

And I'm a huge Spidey collecter. Look through the for sale theads because I am buying a lot of the affordable issues in there. As a Spidey reader, I don't consider these issues key. What makes them key in your mind?

Hey Chris, thanks for your reply.

You are correct. I am not getting as much traffic as a domestic USA eBay Seller does since there may be a resistence to my shipping fees (Thailand Registered Airmail.)

Yes, I do plan on getting many books CGCed to add them in the sales mix. There will be more traffic for sure if I offer a CGC graded book here and there as opposed to just solely high grade "raw" books.

I will check out the sales threads you stated. Thanks for the tip.

I always thought many considered ASM 119 and 120 were "keys" because the Hulk was involved.

If they're not, I wonder why there's a disparity in value between ASMs 117, 118 and either of these 2? Can you give me an explanation to that fact? hm

The $55 price difference is probably because the Hulk makes an appearance. That doesn't make them key. I don't think 'KEY' simply means 'more valuable'. These just

have an added draw.

Now the first time these two meet, that would be a key, but not a big key.

Fair enough, and thanks for the explanation. ASM 119 & 120 have "added draw." I'll take that to heart.

Just an opinion of course.

But then there's this scenario. Say there's a collector that buys books in high grade only. And those books are only those with guest apps. by the Hulk. To him/her, these books would be a big key.

So aside from the obvious mega keys of the hobby, it really is often ones POV/focus that makes something a key.

IMHO :)

Just an opinion of course.

But then there's this scenario. Say there's a collector that buys books in high grade only. And those books are only those with guest apps. by the Hulk. To him/her, these books would be a big key.

So aside from the obvious mega keys of the hobby, it really is often ones POV/focus that makes something a key.

I value your opinion very much as you can surmise.

Your scenario makes perfect sense to me.

Thanks again for sharing your acumen and logic. I appreciate it. :shy:

I would add it largely depends on the effective value of the story. Of course collecting and treasuring involves subjective values, but there are awesome stories, many which if it was possible to judge 100% objectively would "make Marvel" that aren’t "first appearances" or so-called "keys".

It‘s clear that no one would argue about Hulk #181 being an important issue, but there are better Hulk stories and also better Wolverine stories.

For example, I find more fascinating the X-Men issues where there are the first mentions of the mysterious Weapon Alpha, and allusions to what would be later revealed as Alpha Flight.

The Wendigo is a touching story, but I would rather treasure some Hulk stories from the Rampaging Hulk, or some X-Men stories with Wolverine rather than this first appearance.

Sulphur is good indeed. :)

Ah, Modok, I was thinking about your auctions. Two suggestions came to my mind:

1) When you sell, do larger bulks of issues. US buyers probably won’t mind with US sellers, but from Italy I’m motivated to bid when I can bid on a number of books, so if I miss the one I’m really after I can optimize shipping. Especially because you are in Thailand;

2) Mix the books in order to have highly desirable books and less sought after ones. This will motivate potential bidders to consider additional bidding on other issues besides those they are really after.

That’s how it would work for me, anyway, and I do hope to buy something from you sooner or later (but not CGC)… ;)

The $55 price difference is probably because the Hulk makes an appearance. That doesn't make them key. I don't think 'KEY' simply means 'more valuable'. These just

have an added draw.

Now the first time these two meet, that would be a key, but not a big key.

Wasn't the first Spidey Hulk meeting ASM 14? That is a key for oh so many reasons!

And I do think the draw is the Hulk appearance. It is an early Hulk appearance in the book so that helps too.

The demand is there for these books though. Someone just sold two copies for way more money then I thought they were worth about a month ago. I think he got like 65 or 75 for the two issues, and they were not as pretty as your books. So you might have something here regardless.

The Hulk appearance helps though and I think you'd move these books quickly. I just always wonder what books should be slabbed and which shouldn't. You spend so much money on shipping them to CGC and then getting them graded.