• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

red dawn

49 posts in this topic

I would not consider the original Red Dawn a great film by any stretch so, naturally, why would I want to see a remake. lol

this

Actually, that to me is the only time remakes ARE justified. There's no need to remake To Kill a Mockingbird, Citizen Kane, or other classics... especially in the era of easy-access via DVD. But if a movie that could have been decent wasn't... then there's a valid excuse for going after a remake.

Who knows... in today's current zombie-mania, a $100-mil. big-star film with extravagant special effects about aliens reanimating the dead in order to conquer earth from afar might actually work... or at least work better than the original Plan 9 From Outer Space.

Alien is essentially a remake of It! The Terror From Beyond Space (with a bit of Planet of the Vampires tossed into the mix)... but few would suggest they shouldn't have made it in deference to the originals.

Some remakes are to employ advances in technology (King Kong), but most are simply to replace old-generation stars with new ones. And since most of today's younger moviegoers won't even look at a b&w film... then that also gives filmmakers a reason to remake oldies.

And some people just like to see variations on a theme... no matter how many Three Musketeers they make. In fact, there is absolutely nothing that can be done with super-heroes in comic books that hasn't been done before, so I'm not sure why comics fans of all people are upset about film remakes. They are either good or bad on their own merits, regardless of their source.

The Last Dragon, Remo Williams, Red Dawn. Some of us consider these great films, some don't.

Remo Williams was the shizznit when I was younger. Loved that movie. One of my absolute favorites when I was a kid.

I enjoyed the Last Dragon too, but I knew it was hookey even then.

The Last Dragon, Remo Williams, Red Dawn. Some of us consider these great films, some don't.

Remo Williams was the shizznit when I was younger. Loved that movie. One of my absolute favorites when I was a kid.

Sho'nuff!

If you want to see the same theme handled correctly, check out Tomorrow When the War Began... a 2010 Australian film that may be the best treatment of the subject (based on a 7-volume series of books, the author was nevertheless likely inspired by "Red Dawn"). I was hooked, and I don't even usually care for "action films" as such.

Gotta agree with this.

TWTWB is actually a good film, even though it is all about teenagers during an Invasion of Australia.

I didn't know 2 was on its way as last I heard they were canned due to lack of funding?

Sho'nuff!

Who is the Master!!!???

Saw the original on VHS over 20 years ago. Campy cold war b-movie entertainment - worked on it's level and I could see how it gained cult status. Good for a double bill with Invasion U.S.A. - which was obviously inspired by it, and a bit goofier.

Doubt I'll watch the remake, but I don't really have an objection to Hollywood doing it for pretty much any movie - though some are just going to invite negative comparisons. But hey, if some hack wants to remake Taxi Driver - have at it - won't make the original any less a great movie.

Comic books are constantly doing "remakes".