• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM Sub-Mariner 1 - NFS

55 posts in this topic

As promised to Hado, I will try to show a few of my higher grade early Sub-Mariners.

I start with #1, which looks really nice to me. I wish to learn to grade with more subtlety books in the VF/NM range, so I hope to learn from your help.

Here we are: cover has great colors and gloss, corners are quite sharp, the relevant defects amount to some non-breaking moderate spine-creasing, and little wear to the spine corners. Back cover is equally nice, with similar very small defects. Page quality is pretty nice. I have tried to picture all the possible pros and cons in close-up shots.

Let me know your thoughts on this… :)

P.S. The minor chipping on the right side of the covers is a production thing, book looks really sharp.

Sub-MarinerNo_001_A_800px.jpg

Sub-MarinerNo_001_B_800px.jpg

Sub-MarinerNo_001_C.jpg

Sub-MarinerNo_001_D.jpg

Sub-MarinerNo_001_E.jpg

Sub-MarinerNo_001_F.jpg

Sub-MarinerNo_001_G.jpg

Sub-MarinerNo_001_H.jpg

Sub-MarinerNo_001_I.jpg

I don't want to say it.. but does the right side of this book look like it was trimmed to anyone else?

It looks trimmed to me. :(

Here are real closeups of the suspected trim area on the front cover:

Sub1-a.jpg

Sub2-a.jpg

Maybe go to Restoration sub-forum and ask?

I have about 1500+ high grade Silver & Bronze Age Marvels, and none of them have this so called "production flaw." Not conclusive, but it sure looks trimmed to me. :(

I owned 2 raw copies of this book and they both had the same issues.

not uncommon for this book...hell I can to Ha's database and bring a few dozen examples.

http://comics.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=121213&lotNo=10447

http://comics.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=7054&lotNo=93428

Thanks for clearing this up for me (and others.)

I apologize to the vaillant for my aspersions on his book, but I'm just learning. No offense intended whatsoever.

I'd love to see a side by side comparision of a trimmed book vs. a book with production defects like this. That would illustrate the differences and help me learn how to spot it correctly.

How can you tell the difference? (shrug)

I owned 2 raw copies of this book and they both had the same issues.

not uncommon for this book...hell I can to Ha's database and bring a few dozen examples.

http://comics.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=121213&lotNo=10447

http://comics.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=7054&lotNo=93428

Thanks for clearing this up for me (and others.)

I apologize to the vaillant for my aspersions on his book, but I'm just learning. No offense intended whatsoever.

I'd love to see a side by side comparision of a trimmed book vs. a book with production defects like this. That would illustrate the differences and help me learn how to spot it correctly.

How can you tell the difference? (shrug)

I think it is trimmed Modok. We need to get a closeup of the very top side right from the approved by comics authority code area up, but some of the artwork small half to quarter bubbles appear to be missing from his issue around that area. Though it could be a production error as well either way a small piece of the artwork appears to be missing from this cover.

I think it is trimmed Modok. We need to get a closeup of the very top side right from the approved by comics authority code area up, but some of the artwork small half to quarter bubbles appear to be missing from his issue around that area. Though it could be a production error as well either way a small piece of the artwork appears to be missing from this cover.

Here's the closeup you wanted. Does this help? (shrug)

Sub3-a.jpg

You are comparing arts and not account for the wrapping?

Even then comparing art is not even close to be the sole way to check trimming.

There are may things to check and most must be done with the book in hands.

I think Cgc is mum about all the techniques to prevent scammers to alter the games.

Look at the fourth picture down. I see about 4 - 5 spots where the side of the book changes direction, all of which are in a straight line. The first time I looked at the book, the first thing that I noticed was that the FC top right looked almost exactly just like every other book I've seen that had been trimmed.

I'm only on these boards to learn, but I'm just basing this on what I've seen. To me, it doesn't look production related at all.

Hopefully someone can chime in who has an expert opinion.

Here's the closeup you wanted. Does this help? (shrug)

Sub3-a.jpg

lf_zpsaa66fc0d.jpg[/img] If you look at the image I just added and compared to the closeup you just added for the area I was talking about with your image being his and the image I added an image off of an unrestored issue you can clearly see two quarter to half bubbles missing from his issue. I would go with trimmed until an expert looks at it.

Look at the fourth picture down. I see about 4 - 5 spots where the side of the book changes direction, all of which are in a straight line. The first time I looked at the book, the first thing that I noticed was that the FC top right looked almost exactly just like every other book I've seen that had been trimmed.

I'm only on these boards to learn, but I'm just basing this on what I've seen. To me, it doesn't look production related at all.

Hopefully someone can chime in who has an expert opinion.

I'm here to learn also.

Here's a closeup on the fourth picture down.

Does this help you or anyone figure this out? (shrug)

Sub4-a.jpg

If you look at the image I just added and compared to the closeup you just added for the area I was talking about with your image being his and the image I added an image off of an unrestored issue you can clearly see two quarter to half bubbles missing from his issue. I would go with trimmed until an expert looks at it.

This makes this a real mystery. Thanks for posting your image. I can see the differences clearly now.