• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Incredible Hulk 181 CGC 9.6 SS Experience

21 posts in this topic

From Blue to Yellow

This is my first attempt at a journal entry, but wanted to share my experience and photos for my Incredible Hulk 181.

I first purchased my copy of Incredible Hulk 181 CGC 9.6 at SDCC in 2011. I was so excited about finally having a copy of my own. And it was my first CGC slabbed book. After purchasing it, I quickly ran to my computer and did what any one would do is check out CGC. To my surprise they were the #1 grading company for comic books and magazines. Immediately, I thought this was a great investment.

After reading some entries online in the Signature Room, I thought it would be great to have some of people who had a hand in creating this book sign it. My first thought was Stan Lee. So, I met with Sharon and Chandler (Desert Wind) at my first Long Beach Convention in 2011. At this point, I was a little nervous handing my book over to someone I've never met, but they assured me they would handle everything as if it were there own. And they did. So, I got Stan Lee to sign my book.

Hulk 181 signed, Hulk 181 with Stan Lee's autograph via Desert Wind.

And I totally love how HUGE the signature is. I don't think I've ever seen any book with a sig like that (for better or worse).

After receiving Stan's signature on my book, I wanted to get another one. As luck would have it, Herb Trimpe was appearing at a comic book convention run by Terry in Jan 2012. Meeting Herb was awesome! He was great to talk to and was very accommodating to everyone waiting in line for his autograph. He even drew a little Wolverine sketch for me.(Sorry for the poor images)

Stand&Herb1

Close up of sketch:

Stan&Herb3

As luck would have it, Len Wein will be at the Long Beach Comic Convention this November. I cannot wait to meet him and get him to sign my book. November can't come soon enough!

See more journals by Praxis52

That's an awesome book. I currently have a raw 181 being pressed with Classics Incorporated that is estimated a 9.4 that I plan to go through the exact same process as you with the triple signatures. Maybe I will get ridiculously lucky and it be a 9.6 instead of a 9.4, not holding my breath though. Congrats on such a great key!

Thanks for sharing your experience! What an amazing, no wait, Incredible book. The signatures and sketch just add to how cool it is in my opinion.

I agree with Doc Joe as well, nice job keeping the grade the same. I wonder if you had to give very special instructions to those signing the book to give it the best chance of keeping the same grade. I would think so because otherwise they're just grabbing and signing. Congrats again, wow!

sig.jpg

Thanks so much for the compliments guys!

Good Luck GamingEtc! I hope your book comes back at a 9.6!

Doc Joe & surfer99 - Yeah, I was very pleased that the grade remained the same. I was worried since I've heard some stories here on the boards about some grades coming back lower. But, I did give special instructions to Sharon at Desert Wind regarding where Stan could sign and I spoke with Gemma from CGC as well when I got Herb's. So, they helped me with the process.

BTW, I wish there were stories about grades coming back higher once they've gotten signed! That would be awesome!

First off, a beautiful Book.

Are you afraid that the book might drop in grade? I know there are a few 9.8's I sent in that dropped to a 9.6. I have written about this before through numerous journals. However, my Amazing Spider-Man did go from a 9.2 to a 9.4 and now have it over at Classics Incorporated for pressing. I am hoping that it will improve again to a 9.6, but once I do that I wonder if I will chance it again for a signature by Gerry Conway. Not to mention how many times am I willing to have this book graded?

I look forward to seeing the next signature.

Tnerb

In response to Tnerb's post....Can you get a SS book pressed by Matt? Thought that a CGC rep had to witness if it was removed from the holder? Does Matt have a special dispensation to take it out and press and then just send the label? Or...do you have to wait until Matt and CGC are at a Con together? Cool if you can just send in because I too have had downgrades from signatures. Appreciate the insight.

AJ

Thanks All!

Tnerb - You're so lucky your book came back a grade higher. I'm always hoping that my Hulk 181 will surprise me and come back as a 9.8. Now that would be AWESOME!

Ajester - I heard you cannot get your book pressed once it's been SS'd. It would come back as a Qualified book. I'm not sure why, but it's something that I think has been discussed in the Signature Room area. Yeah, I really want to make this something different.

I've heard that John Romita had a hand in designing Wolverine. Is this true? If so, I will need to add his signature to the list.

Well, I finally have Len Wein's signature after meeting him at the Long Beach Comic Con in November. I was happy to get my book from CGC this week and it has retained it's grade at 9.6 (though I wished it would have jumped up to 9.8).

Here's a pic of this beauty

DSC02612.jpg

Here's a close up pic of the sweet sigs

DSC02613.jpg

Does anyone know how to check the census to see how many triple signed Hulk 181 there are?

Wilson3d - Thanks! I asked Herb to draw a little sketch for me. While in line waiting for his signature, he just signed people's comics. So, I took a shot and asked and he did it w/o any hesitation. It was a real cool moment for me.

seanfingh - Thanks Sean! I really tried to have them sign up top, so the sigs wouldn't take away from the cover art.

Forgot to add the latest picture after I got Len Wein to sign my book.

DSC02612.jpg

Now, I was actually pretty stunned with Len Wein asked, "Is this for CGC?" I said, "Yes" and he said, "That'll be $10." When I asked him why, he said comic books should be read and not encapsulated. I told him that I have a graphic novel of the series (180 - 182) and he shrugged his shoulders. I then asked him does he charge for books that are not CGC and to that he replied "Yes, it's $5." Again, I was shocked, because he said he charges because he encourages people to keep reading comics. Oh well! Still it's a nice sig to add to the collection.

Now, should I get Romita to sign this as well?

1) I just saw him at C2E2 in Chicago and he was only charging $1 per signature.

2) A lot of people in the autograph collecting part of the comic world don't know how good they have it. Try going to any other type of collectibles show where there are guests signing and you'll find they charge far more than $10 per signature.

IMO it's well worth it to pay a guy like Len Wein $1, $10 or whatever for an autograph. Think about the characters he was involved with creating. Swamp Thing and Wolverine alone make it worth the $10. 2c

lscomics is totally right. I collect signed sports memorabilia. You normally pay quite a fee just to get 1 autograph and then youre normally charged more for inscriptions. Depending on who it is you could pay up to 100+ for a signature. So with comics I'm grateful that a lot of these guys don't charge or only want donations to the heroes initiative or some other cause.

Point taken guys, but I'm used to going to a con and just getting an auto, chat a bit, and be on my merry way. I was just surprised that he would charge and say those things.

I paid $20 to get Rob Liefield to sign a couple of books. So, I'm no stranger to paying for an autograph. It's more of the reasoning.

Meshuggah, you should see all the sports memorabilia I have. It's NUTS! I've run out of room for all my stuff.

Sweet. I don't have a large room but with my comics and sports stuff I really don't have anywhere else to put anything either. I agree its weird he'd charge more because you're going to send it to cgc.