• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nowhere Men
2 2

6,687 posts in this topic

It's 50/50 right now. Well it's 20/80 but I'm stacking up those to send out. Have a bunch slabbed, and trying to get more. Doing that today in fact. Have some saga that I need to press so I'll need to reach out. I'd love to get down to one GOOD long box of slabbed silver and a few boxes of moderns. I tend to keep some reading copies all over the house if you even count those!

Honestly, I enjoy the comics more than I do the hobby, which tends to inhibit my stash at times. Looking back through the years at all that I'd given away to get people engaged is heartbreaking! I collect new for the stories and silver and coppers for the historical relevance.

Honestly. The numbers are sickening and I hope it back fires. Menace was trying to do something a lot more noble than what I see on eBay (not noble at all).

He was trying to provide a good service, make money, and get some to CBDLF as well. "Noble" is likely taking it a bit beyond, but he certainly wasnt trying to do anything wrong.

However, it is very VERY good that convention exclusives not be pre-sold outside of the convention. Undermining the convention and the publisher, even unintentionally, benefits no one.

If $2000 to CBDLF not happening is the issue, the people that are bothered by it should make a pledge drive thread. I have no doubt the board could easily pull in $2000 in donations to them.

Even more so though, if they managed to actually keep some stock back they can put on their site. CBDLF can list stock on their site, and make way more than $2000. They could sell 50 books from their site at below current ebay prices and make far more than the 200 would have netted them at $15 (5 + the 10 donation).

People that feel passionately for the CBDLF should be canvasing for them. Get people interested, hold pledge drives, donate some books to a sales thread and send them the proceeds, etc etc.

Edited by CBT

Here's something pretty cool I picked up last month. This is page one of Nowhere Men, featuring the first appearance of all four scientists.

Nowhere-Men-1p1_zps871bca92.jpg

Even cooler, the top right panel is the only existing OA for the Thought Bubble cover. According to Nate, Fono created the TB cover digitally, altering the figures from that panel for use as the slhouettes.

Bubble-Overlay_zpsdf158a52.jpg

Honestly. The numbers are sickening and I hope it back fires. Menace was trying to do something a lot more noble than what I see on eBay (not noble at all).

He was trying to provide a good service, make money, and get some to CBDLF as well. "Noble" is likely taking it a bit beyond, but he certainly wasnt trying to do anything wrong.

However, it is very VERY good that convention exclusives not be pre-sold outside of the convention. Undermining the convention and the publisher, even unintentionally, benefits no one.

If $2000 to CBLDF not happening is the issue, the people that are bothered by it should make a pledge drive thread. I have no doubt the board could easily pull in $2000 in donations to them.

Even more so though, if they managed to actually keep some stock back they can put on their site. CBDLF can list stock on their site, and make way more than $2000. They could sell 50 books from their site at below current ebay prices and make far more than the 200 would have netted them at $15 (5 + the 10 donation).

People that feel passionately for the CBDLF should be canvasing for them. Get people interested, hold pledge drives, donate some books to a sales thread and send them the proceeds, etc etc.

Re: CBLDF - I couldn't agree more. People seem upset with the comic going for ridiculous prices on the bay, but under the guise of how CBLDF fell short. Is there a a way we can make up for that here? I for one would be more than happy to donate on behalf of the board. I know there is a donation link on the CBLDF site, I guess what I'm wondering: does anyone know of a way we can set up a donation link through CGC to CBLDF ? Is this a good idea? It might go a long way to mending some scuffed relationships...

Here's something pretty cool I picked up last month. This is page one of Nowhere Men, featuring the first appearance of all four scientists.

Nowhere-Men-1p1_zps871bca92.jpg

Even cooler, the top right panel is the only existing OA for the Thought Bubble cover. According to Nate, Fono created the TB cover digitally, altering the figures from that panel for use as the slhouettes.

Bubble-Overlay_zpsdf158a52.jpg

great pickup!

not seeing how anything was scuffed since no deal ever happened...only one losing out was CBLDF. Wasn't the board's fault it didn't go through

I don't think it helped that quite a few people kicked up a fuss.

Solar- fantastic pick up, congratulations!!

Edited by buddymagoo

not seeing how anything was scuffed since no deal ever happened...only one losing out was CBLDF. Wasn't the board's fault it didn't go through

well, this dead horse cant be beat any more i suppose, but CBDLF is not losing out in any way.

If they have stock leftover, they come out ahead. If they sell more stuff to people buying at the booth, they come out ahead. If their convention variant is available AT THE CONVENTION, they come out ahead. The convention comes out ahead. Image comes out ahead.

Non-Members (which 99% of those buying in the thread were), would have had to pay $10 at the con. So the extra "money" was actually $5 not $10 ($15 a book instead of $10 a book). So for a measly $1000 dollars, 200 people at the convention could NOT get the book, could NOT be convinced to sign up for a membership, etc, etc, etc.

If what was happening wasnt wrong, it wouldnt have gone south. CBDLF, the Convention, and Image all did not approve. The groundswell and backlash about the issue was not from people who "missed out on the thread". It was the serious business convention people, big time players, that objected to a convention exclusive being pre-sold publicly.

Edited by CBT

Just me thinking aloud:

I saw that crazy auction price of $400+ last night.......was wondering how or why it could get that high in spite of the limited print run...

A significant factor involved IMHO about the price spike is related to how quickly the lower priced BINs have been snatched up.

If I was lucky enough to have caught a $150 BIN or anything under $200 I probably would have just grabbed it immediately (how many refreshers are out there on these boards alone?). In that type of climate you'll see bidders get crazy at the end of an auction. I'm sure there are folks out there that just want to grab and run......and not get caught up in further speculation price spikes.

That auction was fairly aggressive, there were more than a few folks bidding....and it had hovered in the 300+ range for quite a significant period of time in bidding terms. With the rapid consumption of the BINs and the price already at 300+ I'm sure people believed that was going to be the "new" price at the very least.

Tack on a few snipers and voila you've got 400 and change.

Honestly I'm not surprised by anything at auction these days.

I just wouldn't be quick to comment on the volatility of the market or that the bubble is going to implode at any moment.......

The indicators for me personally just don't seem to point in that direction. In fact, had I listened to everyone's commentary about everything I'd have purchased an underground bunker and stocked it for the apocalypse a long time ago.

Anyway, this dead horse has been so beaten it's time to pass it onto those European restaurants and chains for lunch.