• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nowhere Men
2 2

6,687 posts in this topic

can i ask a quick follow up question, as you have relayed the above before on the boards, but implied it was on top of, not a part of. So the Comicspro is 500 + comps, as per normal?

I already posted the print run on this -- 500 were printed. 300 were distributed at the meeting in Atlanta.

-e.s.

Eric Stephenson

Publisher

Image Comics, Inc.

www.imagecomics.com

right --understood. People are posting on ebay, in the buy and sell thread here, and elsewhere. That the print run is 300 because Image held 200 back.

That's what led to all the discussion on the subject. The debate being, 40% of the print run being comp'd. Versus, Comp'd copies being on top of the print run. I believe you told us the Thought Bubble was 500 + comp (not minus).

Secondly, since you guys seem to be basing your print run information off the sales estimates posted on ICV2.com and elsewhere, I thought I'd share some info with you.

To begin with, those numbers do not encapsulate the entire print for ANY comic. Those are order estimates only, and what's more, they only take into account U.S. orders. Orders made through Diamond UK are not included. What's more, the number that is reported is only what has invoiced through Diamond before the month closes out. Generally speaking, the number reported online represents the orders for a title at the time initial orders are cut off. (This occurs around three weeks before the in-store date.)

Beyond that, the copies sent to Diamond do not constitute the entire print run. Image distributes comp copies to a variety of outlets, plus the individual members of the creative team request copies in various amounts.

So that said, these are the actual print runs for the book so far:

NWM 1 Thought Bubble Exclusive - 850 (500 to Thought Bubble)

-e.s.

Eric Stephenson

Publisher

Image Comics, Inc.

www.imagecomics.com

The print run is 500, regardless how many Image comps

refer to what I quoted and pulled forward, big difference, plus versus minus.

People paying $250 for the blues :screwy: definitely should make their choices not based off of assumptions.

People paying $250 for the blues :screwy: definitely should make their choices not based off of assumptions.

well you could look at it like 300 are readily available for purchase and 200 are not. Which might be why it's carrying a premium.

Edited by krighton

well you could look at it like 300 are readily available for purchase and 200 are not.

but is it? that's sort of my point. He said the print run, and what was given at Atlanta. But that's not quite the same as what he shared about Thought Bubble. I edited out the other books, but he gave the true print runs on all the books up to that point.

Thought Bubble was a "500 print run", but the extras held back were in addition, not from the 500. That's what the couple dozen pages of debate was about, so since he is "clarifying" i was trying to make it more clear (without having to read 200+ pages), what people were debating.

Edited by CBT

well you could look at it like 300 are readily available for purchase and 200 are not. Which might be why it's carrying a premium.

Well, that would be a poor assumption to make, because if I wind up giving out multiple copies of the book -- to stores, to friends, to whoever I feel like giving copies to -- there's a good chance those copies will wind up in circulation. And I would imagine some of the folks receiving comps on this stuff might sell theirs.

Either way, the PRINT RUN, which means THE NUMBER OF COPIES PRINTED -- was 500.

-e.s.

Eric Stephenson

Publisher

Image Comics, Inc.

www.imagecomics.com

true, but the 300 may be sitting on a table at the con with people lined up to grab one, and your 200 may be sitting in your closet waiting to be mailed out or presented to a friend, store, whatever. That's all I meant by 'readily'. There's still 500 in existence, of course.

Edited by krighton

Either way, the PRINT RUN, which means THE NUMBER OF COPIES PRINTED -- was 500.

-e.s.

Eric Stephenson

Publisher

Image Comics, Inc.

www.imagecomics.com

There we go, that's the heart of it. So it actually is rarer than any of the other variants. 500 versus 850 for Thought Bubble, versus 500 CBDLF + its comps, etc etc etc.

So, in that context, would that be the same for other books given out at ComicsPro directly from Image. Say, the Thief of Thieves ComicsPro. I have seen it often quoted as being sub 500 due to "how many were given out" at the event.

I don't say this to be contentious but where does it stop?

There were a lot of people who bought the TB variant thinking that was going to be the low print run variant for #1. But now we have a #1 Variant printed with lower numbers AFTER the fact. Nowhere Men is between issue number #3 and #4 and variants for number 1 are still popping up and they are not being called second printings?

I don't think this would be as big of a problem if it had been released when #1 originally came out, but to keep releasing #1 variants long after it was first released seems silly.

I don't say this to be contentious but where does it stop?

There were a lot of people who bought the TB variant thinking that was going to be the low print run variant for #1. But now we have a #1 Variant printed with lower numbers AFTER the fact. Nowhere Men is between issue number #3 and #4 and variants for number 1 are still popping up and they are not being called second printings?

I don't think this would be as big of a problem if it had been released when #1 originally came out, but to keep releasing #1 variants long after it was first released seems silly.

The way I see it, it's only a problem for the people who want to make it a problem. Nobody's forcing you to buy these variants. If you're not interested in them, they should be just as irrelevant to you as the 52 state flag variants for JLA #1 are to me.

-e.s.

Eric Stephenson

Publisher

Image Comics, Inc.

www.imagecomics.com