• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nowhere Men
2 2

6,687 posts in this topic

That's because he already sold his 350 variants at $100 a piece. $35,000 for a series that was three deep in the first arc.

Dang bro... That's a sharp edge you got there.

Yeah - tell me he's wrong though Ryan.......

That's the math right there, add the other 'forgotten' variants and $50k for a bit of hype on here was easy scratch.

With the help of a few friends here and there of course.

Here's the article.

article

"Nowhere Men is something I’m doing in the evenings and on the weekend, and it takes a back seat to whatever is happening with Image at the time."

Based on that comment I think I am going to drop NWM from my file and just wait for the trades. Even though it is my favorite Image title by a long shot, it looks like punctuality will be an issue for it going forward.

That article makes E.S. sound a bit like Buckaroo Banzai with all the side interests.....He's a swordfighting top chef editor / comic writer.

Never saw a picture of him before either...he's got those penetrating serious as a heart attack eyeballs.

Gives me the impression that he did get tired of the shenanigans in the threads and headed for higher ground. He seems like a no b.s. kinda guy and I got that from one article and picture. Maybe the variant talk really tweaked his nipples raw.

It's understandable that he's got alot on his plate and that many things have to be on the back burner as a result....that said I do think that NWM does deserve a bit more attention however that can be accomplished.

So let me get this straight one of the guys on this title just up and doesn't care about it anymore to finish issues in a reasonable on time manner?

The publisher of Image? Yes.

Run a company vs finish a comic book on time.

The man has priorities.

Seems a little odd to me as there were older versions of Nowhere Men in the works for years. Why wait all that time and then give up when the ball was rolling nicely?

If it comes to a screeching halt now, might as well just scrap it. Its going to rub most people the wrong way and will be hard to revive the story "down the line".

Then why start something you can't finish? Why not make it a mini and save yourself the trouble?

(shrug)

He had been toying with the story/concept for a while. He probably views it as simply a creative outlet. The popularity and critical adulation is just a cherry on top. He doesn't need NWM to succeed like a writer such as Kurtis needs PP to succeed.

He'll get to it when he gets to it. And when it hits my pull, it's a welcome surprise. Much like Danger Club is.

Edited by awakeintheashes

Seems a little odd to me as there were older versions of Nowhere Men in the works for years. Why wait all that time and then give up when the ball was rolling nicely?

If it comes to a screeching halt now, might as well just scrap it. Its going to rub most people the wrong way and will be hard to revive the story "down the line".

I don't know what happened in the past with the concept or what the writer-artist relationship is like now, but Nate seems like an up-and-coming artist who will wait for e.s..

I was willing to do anything above (or below) and beyond at my first job out if college. Everyone needs to cut their teeth and earn favors when they start out. Maybe that's why e.s. decided to move forward now with this title with Nate handling the art.

Edited by awakeintheashes

I can't speak to what happened in the past with the concept or to the writer-artist relationship now, but Nate seems like an up-and-coming artist who will wait for e.s..

I was willing to do anything above (or below) and beyond at my first job out if college. Everyone needs to cut their teeth and earn favors when they start out. Maybe that's why e.s. decided to move forward now with this title with Nate handling the art.

If I had to guess (and it's just a guess), the delays probably have more to do with the artist than the writer. As far as we can tell, NWM is Nate's only gig, whereas Eric makes his living as Image's head honcho. NWM may be a hobby for Eric, but I doubt he's actually as nonchalant about the publishing schedule as he implies in the interview, if this is his collaborator's sole source of income. Again, my guess is that he's letting Nate work at his own pace.

From the interview, it's also clear that he has a very dim view of speculators (comparing them to "ticket scalpers, whom most of the world loathes"). So the book's value suffering because of delays is probably the least of his concerns.

Lastly, I don't think he made a killing from selling his allotment of variants. Not all of them, anyway. Image is in my neck of the woods, and I know he's given the variants away to several of the LCSs in our area as a favor and a thank-you for their support. I've gotten a few as a result.