• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Capital Gains tax on Comic Sales question

10 posts in this topic

All politics aside, if the laws get changed and you are not taxed on capital gains below $200,000.00 per year - how does this apply to dealers who buy a comic for say $50 then sell it for $100? If they only earn $199,000.00 from these types of deals in a year do they have to claim it as income?

Is this type of transaction considered a capital gain or does this only apply to certain types of investments?

Good question.

I declare all of my comic income under short term capital gains (which assesses at my regular tax rate), but only for those books I have held for a year or less (which has basically been everything so far). Collectibles held long term are taxed at a flat 28% under their own category.

If short term capital gains ever become tax exempt it will certainly encourage quick flips.

I believe comics are not considered capital assets in terms of tax code - there are under the umbrella of "collectibles" which are taxed much higher than traditional capital asset gains. I believe the rate is 28% for all income brackets (there may be an exception for the lowest bracket making it 15% - not sure if that's still true - was years ago) All this depends on you holding the item for more than a year (otherwise it's taxed as regular income).

I believe comics are not considered capital assets in terms of tax code - there are under the umbrella of "collectibles" which are taxed much higher than traditional capital asset gains. I believe the rate is 28% for all income brackets (there may be an exception for the lowest bracket making it 15% - not sure if that's still true - was years ago) All this depends on you holding the item for more than a year (otherwise it's taxed as regular income).

+1

Gains on comic sales aren't treated as capital gains. They're collectibles gains.