• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Page Quality and Price

36 posts in this topic

Question. Should the books page quality affect the price? If you have 2 books side by side and both are 9.8, but one book is OW/W and the other is White page quality, should the White page quality book demand a higher price?

I was discussing a books price with a dealer and GPA avg was around 145 but he was asking 170. I pointed out that I thought his price was high and he pointed out that his book was White page quality and if you look at the GPA avg prices it doesn't diferentiate between books that sold with OW/W vs White pages.

Personally I could care a less if a book is White or W/OW so I wouldn't pay a premium for a 9.8 Graded book just becase of that.

But my question is, is this common practice? Do the majority of other collectors care enough about PQ to pay almost 20% above the GPA avg?

I value white pages, so willing to pay more to get a book with white pages... Now if its a cheap book, I do not care, but when buying high end comics, I prefer white pages...

I definitely feel a book with white pages should be more than one without white pages... IMO. It is a difference and I know lots of ppl who would buy white over OW for more $.

I value white pages, so willing to pay more to get a book with white pages... Now if its a cheap book, I do not care, but when buying high end comics, I prefer white pages...

I definitely feel a book with white pages should be more than one without white pages... IMO. It is a difference and I know lots of ppl who would buy white over OW for more $.

You should probably be aware that PQ can change on every resub too. One book's W could easily be OW on another day. If you're happy paying more just because it happens to say it on the label though then fair play to you.

having W/OW pages is a flaw as far as grading is concerned right? meaning it will lower the grade a bit, I would assume, or am I wrong?

I ask that because if a book had White pages then it might have some other flaw which is the reason it's a 9.8 and not a 9.9. So aren't the odds better than you will have a book that looks/presents nicer with W/OW because that is one of the flaws taken into account, instead of say a spine tick or something?

If that's the case I'd rather have W/OW pages and a nicer over all outside appearance every time.

having W/OW pages is a flaw as far as grading is concerned right? meaning it will lower the grade a bit, I would assume, or am I wrong?

Wrong.

I ask that because if a book had White pages then it might have some other flaw which is the reason it's a 9.8 and not a 9.9. So aren't the odds better than you will have a book that looks/presents nicer with W/OW because that is one of the flaws taken into account, instead of say a spine tick or something?

If that's the case I'd rather have W/OW pages and a nicer over all outside appearance every time.

Incorrect.Page quality does not effect numerical grade,unless you start getting into the brittle area.

Incorrect.Page quality does not effect numerical grade,unless you start getting into the brittle area.

Interesting I didn't know that. I've run into a lot of people that put a lot of stock into PQ. In my mind it's even less meaningful now.

Wrong.

So PQ doens't affect the grade?

Correct.

From what I have learned, Cream to Off White pages may have an effect on the grade if it's a deciding factor (meaning, if the grade is a draw between two grade choices).

A few observations...

Anybody obsessing on White page copies needs their bumps felt. Last week, the book was an OW, the week before it was an OW-W. There is less consistancy with PQ designations at CGC than there is grades...and that's saying something.

If you do buy into the 'PQ means a lot' mind-set, then you should be paying more than GPA average for a book, as that average takes into account C-OW and LT-OW books.

The state of preservation of a book is not improved by it having W as compared to OW pages. It's really only when you get down to the LT region that it will have an impact...and even then it's debateable.

CGC's grade will not be lowered by PQ unless it's into the LT region and...occasionally possibly in the circumstances that Roy stated (twice in a month...WTF?)...in the Cream region.

In the high end range, I do believe the Page Quality affects the grade. Didn't Mark Haspel himself say that very few books with CR/OW make the 9.8 grade ? I also believe that a book that is a structural 'tweener' will get a bump with White pages. Usually White Pages means a fresher looking book and YES, I think White pages deserve a pricing premium.

If the last GPA was for a book with CR/OW pages, any seller with common sense will want a premium for a book with White Pages.