• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Redfury's Weird Tales pulp collection

335 posts in this topic

Writer E. Hoffman Price is the only pulp writer known to have met Robert E. Howard in person. And he is the only person known to have met Howard, H.P. Lovecraft, and Clark Ashton Smith in person.

That's fascinating. Is there a back story as to why he met so many of the reclusive greats in person?

Writer E. Hoffman Price is the only pulp writer known to have met Robert E. Howard in person. And he is the only person known to have met Howard, H.P. Lovecraft, and Clark Ashton Smith in person.

That's fascinating. Is there a back story as to why he met so many of the reclusive greats in person?

It is interesting, isn't it?

Lovecraft visited New Orleans in 1932, and Howard alerted Price, who lived there, to his presence by telegram. Presumably, Howard knew of Lovecraft's travel plans due to his correspondence with him. Price located Lovecraft and the two hung out for about a week. In 1933 Price visited Lovecraft in Providence.

Clark Ashton Smith lived in California, and Price visited him there in April 1934. Smith lived in a remote cabin with his elderly parents.

On his return trip from California to his home in New Orleans, Price stopped in Cross Plains and visited Howard.

WEIRD TALES

Volume 12, Number 2

August, 1928

Cover by C.C. Senf.

This is one of my favorites! The cover story, Red Shadows by Robert E Howard, features the 1st appearance of Solomon Kane. Of Howard's four best known characters (Solomon Kane, Kull of Atlantis, Conan the Barbarian, and Bran Mak Morn), Solomon Kane was the earliest.

It also contains the first published work of Tennessee Williams, The Vengeance of Nitocris, who was written when he was 16 years old.

Weird%2520Tales%2520Vol%252012%2520No%25202%2520Aug%25201928%2520.jpg

WEIRD TALES

Volume 13, Number 3

March, 1929

Cover by Hugh Rankin.

Contains The Hounds of Tindalos by Frank Belknap Long, the first Cthulhu mythos story by someone other than Lovecraft.

Weird%2520Tales%2520Vol%252013%2520No%25203%2520Mar%25201929.jpg

Very interesting indeed. I've been meaning to ask the pulp collectors here what the good pulp reference books are. I'm particularly interested in learning more about the pulp careers of people who later crossed into comics. Anything you can recommend?

Lovecraft visited New Orleans in 1932, and Howard alerted Price, who lived there, to his presence by telegram. Presumably, Howard knew of Lovecraft's travel plans due to his correspondence with him. Price located Lovecraft and the two hung out for about a week. In 1933 Price visited Lovecraft in Providence.

Clark Ashton Smith lived in California, and Price visited him there in April 1934. Smith lived in a remote cabin with his elderly parents.

On his return trip from California to his home in New Orleans, Price stopped in Cross Plains and visited Howard.

Some excerpts from the HPL-REH correspondence on their respective visits with Price.

From A Means to Freedom: The Letters of H.P. Lovecraft and Robert E. Howard., 2 Vol. Eds. S.T. Joshi, David E. Schultz, and Rusty Burke. New York: Hippocampus Press, 2009.

"My first visitor this season was none other than our dashing friend E. Hoffman Price, who hopes to get around around to seeing you later in the year. He came in his 1928 Ford juggernaut just before my aunt's return from the hospital, and we had a festive and enjoyable four days. . . .Price, by the way, holds a very high opinion of you and your work---so that our converstion contained much which would have gratified you could you have overheard it." -- HPL to REH, July 24, 1933.

"Price wrote me concerning his visit to Providence, of which he spoke with great gusto, praising you very highly indeed. I feel very much honored that you and he should have discussed my work. I read with the greatest of interest your accounts of the localities visited during his trip, and am sure that the country is packed with fascinating scenes and traditions." -- REH to HPL , ca. Sept-Oct. 1933.

"I heard from Sultan Malik [Price]---who is pulling up stakes in Pawhuska and will probably be rolling around to Cross Plains before long. I envy him his opportunity to call at the palace of Conan the Cimmerian---he'll be the first fellow W T scribe you'll have met, will he not? I'm sure you'll both have a tremendously enjoyable session." -- HPL to REH, April 1934.

"As you can well imagine, I deeply enjoyed Price’s visit. My only regret was that he was unable to stay longer. He is delightful, and I feel that he is destined to become one of our foremost writers. He is a great admirer of yours, and feels (as I do) that you are just about supreme in your line." -- REH to HPL, May 1934.

"Yes, I did indeed enjoy Price’s visit here, and my only regret was he was unable to stay longer. I hope to meet him again some time. Yes, he’s the only Weird Tale writer I’ve ever met — not only that, he’s the only professional writer of any sort I ever met. . . . By the way, Price was stopped at the Red River crossing by men with guns in their hands, looking for the famous outlaw Clyde Barrow, who was working in those parts at that time. As I told him, it was fortunate that his car was loaded with objects that evidenced his innocence, for Barrow was about his size, and was, like him accompanied by a blond young lady: Bonnie Parker. As you might have read in the paper, Bonnie was with Clyde when he met his finish at the hands of the ex-Rangers, in Louisiana. Bullets from machine rifles, ripping through him, riddled her, plastered the interior of the car with blood, brains and bits of Barrow’s skull. 167 slugs were poured into the automobile of the outlaws." -- REH to HPL, ca. May-June, 1934

Unfortunately most of the correspondence between REH and Price did not survive. Price through though would write about his meetings with and memories of REH and HPL many times over the years.

Very interesting indeed. I've been meaning to ask the pulp collectors here what the good pulp reference books are. I'm particularly interested in learning more about the pulp careers of people who later crossed into comics. Anything you can recommend?

Hmm, there's not a lot as far as books go. I think fanzines have a lot of that kind of info, but I'm not up on those.

E. Hoffman Price wrote a book that is a collection of his memories about other writers, but his views and opinions are suspect. Still, he offers the rare first person account of meeting those writers.

Book of the Dead: Friends of Yesteryear : Fictioneers & Others (Memories of the Pulp Fiction Era)

Then there's The Weird Tales Story by Weinberg and Price. It was written in the 70s and reprinted in 1999. It's got some good info, but I found it a chore to read.

The Weird Tales Story

WEIRD TALES

Volume 14, Number 2

August, 1929

Cover by Hugh Rankin.

Includes The Shadow Kingdom by Robert E. Howard. This story features the 1st appearance of Kull of Atlantis and is also considered to be a part of the Cthulhu mythos.

This issue also is notable because it contains a story by "Lois Lane". Since Jerry Siegel is known to have been a fan and had a letter published the following year in the Nov 1930 issue, it's probable that he saw this issue too.

Weird%2520Tales%2520Vol%252014%2520No%25202%2520Aug%25201929.jpg

Hmm, there's not a lot as far as books go. I think fanzines have a lot of that kind of info, but I'm not up on those.

E. Hoffman Price wrote a book that is a collection of his memories about other writers, but his views and opinions are suspect. Still, he offers the rare first person account of meeting those writers.

Book of the Dead: Friends of Yesteryear : Fictioneers & Others (Memories of the Pulp Fiction Era)

Then there's The Weird Tales Story by Weinberg and Price. It was written in the 70s and reprinted in 1999. It's got some good info, but I found it a chore to read.

The Weird Tales Story

Yeah, many of the guys that went on to work in comics, like Julie Schwartz, Mort Weisenger, Jerry Seigel, etc. were a major part of early pulp fandom, creating fanzines and the like. Sam Moskowitz's book on early fandom The Immortal Storm is good resource, though I understand it has some inaccuracies.