• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Redfury's Weird Tales pulp collection

335 posts in this topic

WEIRD TALES

Volume 15, Number 6

June, 1930

Cover by Hugh Rankin.

Contains the Solomon Kane story The Moon of Skulls (Part 1 of 2) by Robert E. Howard.

Also contains a reprinted short story The Rats in the Walls by H.P. Lovecraft.

Weird%2520Tales%2520Vol%252015%2520No%25206%2520Jun%25201930.jpg

I know nothing about these kind of books but I can't stop looing at some of the great cover artwork.

Thank you for sharing and keep them coming.

Thanks. And the covers get even better as we get into the St. John, Brundage, and Finlay eras.

WEIRD TALES

Volume 16, Number 2

August, 1930

Cover by Hugh Rankin.

Contains The Hills of the Dead, a Solomon Kane story by Robert E. Howard and The Electric Executioner by H. P. Lovecraft and Adolphe de Castro.

Weird%2520Tales%2520Vol%252016%2520No%25202%2520Aug%25201930.jpg

WEIRD TALES

Volume 16, Number 5

November, 1930

Cover by C.C. Senf.

Features Kings of the Night, the 1st appearance of Bran Mak Morn by Robert E. Howard.

The cover story, Katharine Metcalf Roof's A Million Years After is a story about dinosaurs hatching from eggs millions of years old. According to Wikipedia, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, H.P. Lovecraft declared Metcalf Roof's story to be a "rotten", "cheap", and "puerile" version of an idea he had come up with years earlier, and Joshi suggests it may have provoked him to write his own tale of "the awakening of entities from the dim reaches of earth's history." That story was the Lovecraft classic At the Mountains of Madness, which was written in early 1931 but not published until 1936.

Weird%2520Tales%2520Vol%252016%2520No%25205%2520Nov%25201930.jpg

WEIRD TALES

Volume 17, Number 3

April/May, 1931

Cover by C.C. Senf.

Includes the story The Children of the Night by Robert E. Howard. This story is notable because earlier Howard creations Bran Mak Morn and The Dark Man cult are mentioned, as are Lovecraft creations such as Cthulhu and the Necronomicon, thus linking the two writers' creations into one world. It is also the first appearance of the arcane tome Nameless Cults, which would be incorporated into the Cthulhu mythos.

Also features the poem Fungi from Yuggoth: 10. Alienation by H. P. Lovecraft.

Weird%2520Tales%2520Vol%252017%2520No%25203%2520Apr-May%25201931.jpg

WEIRD TALES

Volume 17, Number 3

April/May, 1931

Cover by C.C. Senf.

Includes the story The Children of the Night by Robert E. Howard. This story is notable because earlier Howard creations Bran Mak Morn and The Dark Man cult are mentioned, as are Lovecraft creations such as Cthulhu and the Necronomicon, thus linking the two writers' creations into one world. It is also the first appearance of the arcane tome Nameless Cults, which would be incorporated into the Cthulhu mythos.

Also features the poem Fungi from Yuggoth: 10. Alienation by H. P. Lovecraft.

Weird%2520Tales%2520Vol%252017%2520No%25203%2520Apr-May%25201931.jpg

Love this cover. Children of the Night will be featured prominently in the paper I'm going to give at PCA next year (along with the other 'little people' stories People of the Dark and Worms of the Earth).

Love this cover. Children of the Night will be featured prominently in the paper I'm going to give at PCA next year (along with the other 'little people' stories People of the Dark and Worms of the Earth).

Jeff, if your scope goes beyond Howard, Lovecraft's early story The Nameless City features short reptilian creatures.

Jeff, if your scope goes beyond Howard, Lovecraft's early story The Nameless City features short reptilian creatures.

:sumo: Hey! Some of my best friends are short reptilian creatures!

WEIRD TALES

Volume 18, Number 4

November, 1931

Cover by C.C. Senf.

Contains two Cthulhu mythos stories:

- The Black Stone by Robert E. Howard

- The Tale of Satampra Zeiros by Clark Ashton Smith

Weird%2520Tales%2520Vol%252018%2520No%25204%2520Nov%25201931.jpg

:sumo: Hey! Some of my best friends are short reptilian creatures!

Yep, both of them were borrowing elements from Arthur Machen's "Shining Pyramid."

WEIRD TALES

Volume 18, Number 4

November, 1931

Cover by C.C. Senf.

Contains two Cthulhu mythos stories:

- The Black Stone by Robert E. Howard

- The Tale of Satampra Zeiros by Clark Ashton Smith

Weird%2520Tales%2520Vol%252018%2520No%25204%2520Nov%25201931.jpg

This is a great one. Howard's first (and best?) Mythos story and CAS's first Hyperborean story.

WEIRD TALES

Volume 19, Number 2

February, 1932

Cover by C.C. Senf.

Includes two Cthulhu mythos stories:

- The Thing On the Roof by Robert E. Howard

- The Tree-Men of M'Bwa by Donald Wandrei

Wandrei did at least some work in comics. GCD shows he wrote 4 stories in Gang Busters #4 (Jun/Jul 1948).

Weird%2520Tales%2520Vol%252019%2520No%25202%2520Feb%25201932.jpg