• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Redfury's Weird Tales pulp collection

335 posts in this topic

Nice! Are those the only two you have, Bruce, or are they part of a larger collection? Has the bug bitten you too? ;)

I only have a few of the early issues. The rest of the Weird Tales in my collection are later with Matt Fox covers.

WEIRD TALES

Volume 22, Number 4

October, 1933

Cover by Margaret Brundage.

The famous 'Bat-woman' cover! Brundage's iconic cover is one of the best-known of all pulps covers. The cover story is The Vampire Master by Hugh Davidson (Edmond Hamilton using a house name).

There's a Conan story by Howard in this issue too, The Pool of the Black One.

There's also an old H.P. Lovecraft tale reprinted, The Festival.

Weird%2520Tales%2520Vol%252022%2520No%25204%2520Oct%25201933.jpg

WEIRD TALES

Volume 14, Number 2

August, 1929

Cover by Hugh Rankin.

Includes The Shadow Kingdom by Robert E. Howard. This story features the 1st appearance of Kull of Atlantis and is also considered to be a part of the Cthulhu mythos.

This issue also is notable because it contains a story by "Lois Lane". Since Jerry Siegel is known to have been a fan and had a letter published the following year in the Nov 1930 issue, it's probable that he saw this issue too.

Weird%2520Tales%2520Vol%252014%2520No%25202%2520Aug%25201929.jpg

Great collection you've assembled. :applause:

Thanks for taking the time to note cover artists and stories by authors who are fan favorites, etc.

This thread has quickly become one of my favorites.

For those who haven't seen the Lois Lane story...

loislane.jpg

The Purple Sedan by Lois Lane

Thanks BZ, I'm glad you're enjoying it. You've posted so much cool stuff in your thread over the past few years. I'm happy to be able to give back a little bit. :)

And thanks for the Lois Lane title shot. When I finish posting all the covers I may go back and add some more key interior shots too.

I want to take a little interlude here to post some Magic Carpet pulps that came out in the same time period as the Weird Tales issues we're up to. Magic Carpet was a sister publication to Weird Tales, and had the same talent working on it. The series only lasted for 5 issues. I have issues #2-5 to post. Still looking for a #1.

MAGIC CARPET

Volume 4, Number 1 (Issue #5)

January, 1934

Cover by Margaret Brundage. Logo by J. Allen St. John.

Includes the story The Shadow of the Vulture by Robert E. Howard, notable for the only pulp appearance of Howard's character Red Sonya. However, this is not a sword and sworcery Conan-esque epic. It's actually set during the Siege of Vienna (1529) by the Ottoman Empire. It wasn't until Roy Thomas was writing the Conan comic books in the early 70s that he re-imagined the Red Sonya character and changed one letter in her name to create Red Sonja, the She-Devil With a Sword.

Magic%2520Carpet%2520Vol%25204%2520No%25201%2520Jan%25201934.jpg

MAGIC CARPET

Volume 4, Number 1 (Issue #5)

January, 1934

Cover by Margaret Brundage. Logo by J. Allen St. John.

Includes the story The Shadow of the Vulture by Robert E. Howard, notable for the only pulp appearance of Howard's character Red Sonya. However, this is not a sword and sworcery Conan-esque epic. It's actually set during the Siege of Vienna (1529) by the Ottoman Empire. It wasn't until Roy Thomas was writing the Conan comic books in the early 70s that he re-imagined the Red Sonya character and changed one letter in her name to create Red Sonja, the She-Devil With a Sword.

Magic%2520Carpet%2520Vol%25204%2520No%25201%2520Jan%25201934.jpg

Amazing! (worship)

WEIRD TALES

Volume 22, Number 5

November, 1933

It's thought that Margaret Brundage's daughter was the model for this issue's cover.

Features the Cthulhu mythos story The Holiness of Azédarac by Clark Ashton Smith.

Also contains the first Northwest Smith story, Shambleau, by C.L. Moore. Her Northwest Smith character shares some similarities with the much more famous Han Solo. Both are spaceship captains and smugglers. Both are western figures, down to the low slung ray gun on the hip (and the name Northwest). And both pilot an unremarkable spaceship that is surprisingly fast.

Weird%2520Tales%2520Vol%252022%2520No%25205%2520Nov%25201933.jpg

WEIRD TALES

Volume 22, Number 6

December, 1933

Features the Cthulhu mythos story The Lady in Gray by Donald Wandrei.

Also includes the story Old Garfield's Heart by Robert E. Howard.

Weird%2520Tales%2520Vol%252022%2520No%25206%2520Dec%25201933.jpg

WEIRD TALES

Volume 23, Number 1

January, 1934

Nice Brundage nude cover for Seabury Quinn's The Red Knife of Hassan, a Jules de Grandin adventure.

Features the Conan story Rogues in the House by Robert E. Howard.

Weird%2520Tales%2520Vol%252023%2520No%25201%2520Jan%25201934.jpg

Sandy knocked our power out, but thankfully we had no damage to the house and no flooding. The power company says it may be a week before power is restored. I'll get back to posting more pulps as soon as I can.

Hope everyone on the east coast made it through Sandy safe and sound!

Sandy knocked our power out, but thankfully we had no damage to the house and no flooding. The power company says it may be a week before power is restored. I'll get back to posting more pulps as soon as I can.

A week???? Ours was off about 20 hours, but glad to have it back on

A week???? Ours was off about 20 hours, but glad to have it back on

29 hours??? Our cable was off about 30 seconds. I guess we were lucky. the storm seemed to be south of us and we are farther west than you guys.

I hope the power is restored sooner than expected, Todd. The main thing is that you guys are safe.