• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Redfury's Weird Tales pulp collection

335 posts in this topic

Great thread.

This is slightly OT, but I think that, of the big three Weird Tales authors(Lovecraft, Howard and Smith), the one that holds up best is the one whose name is least widely known. I was never able to get into Lovecraft, Howard was OK in small chunks, but Clark Ashton Smith never failed to fascinate me. I still remember the shiver of fear that I felt when I read The Dark Eidolon and The Garden of Adompha. His vocabulary is, occasionally, challenging, but always serves to draw you into the story. You can't go wrong with any of the Zothique cycle. Necromancy in Naat, The Isle of the Torturers and The Charnel God are all excellent.

From the titles, you might get the impression that his stories are rather grim. Admittedly, the stories I mentioned don't have a lot of laughs, but others display a ironic humor that appeals to me(The Voyage of King Euvoran, The Door to Saturn).

It's a shame that his name is not better known today, but perhaps someday...

Great thread.

This is slightly OT, but I think that, of the big three Weird Tales authors(Lovecraft, Howard and Smith), the one that holds up best is the one whose name is least widely known. I was never able to get into Lovecraft, Howard was OK in small chunks, but Clark Ashton Smith never failed to fascinate me. I still remember the shiver of fear that I felt when I read The Dark Eidolon and The Garden of Adompha. His vocabulary is, occasionally, challenging, but always serves to draw you into the story. You can't go wrong with any of the Zothique cycle. Necromancy in Naat, The Isle of the Torturers and The Charnel God are all excellent.

From the titles, you might get the impression that his stories are rather grim. Admittedly, the stories I mentioned don't have a lot of laughs, but others display a ironic humor that appeals to me(The Voyage of King Euvoran, The Door to Saturn).

I agree, CAS is very under-appreciated. For those who are interested, you can read most of his work for free at http://www.eldritchdark.com/ (thumbs u

Great thread.

I agree, CAS is very under-appreciated. For those who are interested, you can read most of his work for free at http://www.eldritchdark.com/ (thumbs u

Glad you're enjoying the thread. Maybe it will spark some interest in CAS? We can only hope. :)

WEIRD TALES

Volume 26, Number 6

December, 1935

Cover by Margaret Brundage.

Cover story is The Hour of the Dragon (Part 1 of 5), a Conan story by Robert E. Howard. This is the third and final cover appearance by Conan. The Hour of the Dragonis the 16th Conan story to appear in Weird Tales.

Also contains The Chain of Aforgomon by Clark Ashton Smith.

This issue also contains the first professional artwork by Virgil Finlay.

Weird%2520Tales%2520Vol%252026%2520No%25206%2520Dec%25201935.jpg

WEIRD TALES

Volume 26, Number 6

December, 1935

Cover story is The Hour of the Dragon (Part 1 of 5), a Conan story by Robert E. Howard. This is the third and final cover appearance by Conan. The Hour of the Dragonis the 16th Conan story to appear in Weird Tales.

Also contains The Chain of Aforgomon by Clark Ashton Smith.

This issue also contains the first professional artwork by Virgil Finlay.

Weird%2520Tales%2520Vol%252026%2520No%25206%2520Dec%25201935.jpg

That is an incredible copy!!

WEIRD TALES

Volume 27, Number 1

January, 1936

Features The Hour of the Dragon (Part 2 of 5), a Conan story by Robert E. Howard.

Also features the short story Dagon by H. P. Lovecraft. It was originally written in 1917 and first published in 1919.

Also contains The Dark Land by C. L. Moore, the 4th Jirel of Joiry story.

There's also Horror Insured, the 5th Doctor Satan story by Paul Ernst.

Weird%2520Tales%2520Vol%252027%2520No%25201%2520Jan%25201936.jpg

WEIRD TALES

Volume 27, Number 2

February, 1936

Features The Hour of the Dragon (Part 3 of 5) by Robert E. Howard.

There's also a reprint of an H. P. Lovecraft story, The Temple, which was first published in Weird Tales in 1925.

Also contains Yvala by C.L. Moore, the 7th Northwest Smith adventure.

Weird%2520Tales%2520Vol%252027%2520No%25202%2520Feb%25201936.jpg

WEIRD TALES

Volume 27, Number 1

January, 1936

Features The Hour of the Dragon (Part 2 of 5), a Conan story by Robert E. Howard.

Also features the short story Dagon by H. P. Lovecraft. It was originally written in 1917 and first published in 1919.

Also contains The Dark Land by C. L. Moore, the 4th Jirel of Joiry story.

There's also Horror Insured, the 5th Doctor Satan story by Paul Ernst.

Weird%2520Tales%2520Vol%252027%2520No%25201%2520Jan%25201936.jpg

I saw a woman wearing that exact same red outift tonight walking back from dinner in Amsterdam.

WEIRD TALES

Volume 27, Number 3

March, 1936

Features The Hour of the Dragon (Part 4 of 5) by Robert E. Howard.

Also includes the short story The Black Abbot of Puthuum by Clark Ashton Smith.

There's also the 6th Doctor Satan story, Beyond Death's Gateway, by Paul Ernst.

And there's another early Eando Binder story, The Crystal Curse.

Weird%2520Tales%2520Vol%252027%2520No%25203%2520Mar%25201936.jpg

WEIRD TALES

Volume 27, Number 4

April, 1936

Completes the Conan epic The Hour of the Dragon (Part 5 of 5) by Robert E. Howard.

Also includes a Robert Bloch short story, The Druidic Doom.

Weird%2520Tales%2520Vol%252027%2520No%25204%2520Apr%25201936.jpg

WEIRD TALES

Volume 27, Number 5

May, 1936

Features the Cthulhu mythos story The Faceless God by Robert Bloch.

Cover story is the 7th Doctor Satan story, The Devil's Double, by Paul Ernst.

There's also a poem, Ennui, by Clark Ashton Smith.

Weird%2520Tales%2520Vol%252027%2520No%25205%2520May%25201936.jpg

WEIRD TALES

Volume 27, Number 6

June, 1936

Features the Robert E. Howard horror story Black Canaan.

Also includes The Grinning Ghoul by Robert Bloch, a Cthulhu mythos tale.

Weird%2520Tales%2520Vol%252027%2520No%25206%2520Jun%25201936.jpg

WEIRD TALES

Volume 28, Number 1

July, 1936

Features Red Nails (Part 1 of 3), the Conan epic by Robert E. Howard. It is the 17th and final Conan adventure published in Weird Tales.

Also contains the story Necromancy in Naat by Clark Ashton Smith.

There's also Lost Paradise, the 8th Northwest Smith story by C.L. Moore.

Weird%2520Tales%2520Vol%252028%2520No%25201%2520Jul%25201936.jpg