• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

To Leave Negative Feedback or Not...(p.s. I really want to)

25 posts in this topic

Ok,

(warning: Long pathetic tale follows)

Here's my story. I'm not an Ebay retailer by any stretch, but decided to utilize it to sell one of my key slabbed books. I've always had great luck with ebay on all my purchases, and even with the handful of sales I've done. I pride myself on quick payment and quick shipping.

Anyway, the book sold and I sent out an invoice. The winner of the auction took 4 days responding to my original invoice of $480 (sent the night of the auction end). At that time, he said that he would need 4 more days to get the money together. I was cool about it as I was not in a hurry for the money. After 5 days passed, I wrote another email (threatening an official Ebay action) which went unanswered for 2 more days. I realize at this point I should have went ahead with a non-payment action, but I prefer not to do anything official until absolutely necessary. He had 100% feed back for 29 transactions, but his feedback was strangely blocked for some reason (I think I understand why now)

Anyway, when he finally responded he claimed that work had been heavy that week and, with newborn, he had let the payment to me slip. He promised it within 2 days. (I'm a push-over, I realize that). He said that he would need to put together 2 gift cards (to feed his paypal balance as he did not have it linked to his bank acct - but he was likely trying to hide the purchase from his wife). Of course, his local gift card retailer was closed when he got off work, but would do it the next day first thing. In the meantime, he would require two new invoices splitting up the balance so it could be paid in two transactions. Anyway, I complied only to have him finally reveal he did not in-fact have his own paypal account and would have to use his buddies account. Ok, fine, whatever. He said it would be the next day for sure.

Well, you guessed it. Although he did send me one more email (of his own volition this time) saying the payment would be imminent (as he gave his buddy the gift cards to fund the account), it never happened. I sent email after email with no more replies. At this point, we are several weeks beyond the end-of-auction so I had to do something. I initiated the action (which, as you know, takes days to complete). At the end of the waiting period, I then requested that ebay cancel the transaction. Of course, this requires that the buyer agree within 7 days. True to form, he never did respond. I even gave him one more out by sending him a message saying that the least he could do was respond to the cancellation request and that all would be good. Nothing doing.

So, in the end, I've lost a month of time and still have the book. Even though, in the beginning, he was adamant about wanting the book, he never did offer any sort of explanation for what happened.

So, what do I do? The event is over, but here I am with an opportunity to give negative feedback to a truly deserving person. That being said, I don't want to risk negative feedback for myself. Should I just let this go?

Does anyone have any advice? I'm really steamed about what happened, and hate that he might do this to another seller. Perhaps a less-than-100% rating would discourage someone else from giving him the benefit of the doubt. (even if they can't see the actual comments)

Sellers haven't been able to leave negative feedback on eBay since 2008.

And, oh, the Titanic sunk.

Wow, I didn't realize that. (you can see how much I've used Ebay to sell anything). Anyway, as always, I appreciate the sarcasm. (thumbs u

Well, since this is likely the closest I can get to a Negative feedback, his User Id is: jwcom80 (first name is Mikal)

Block away my friends....

Soft-Serve,

As I guess you already now know eBay sellers can not leave negative feedback, and is a main contributor to the some eBay buyers backing out of sales they no longer feel like paying.

I actually blame this 50/50 with you being to blame as well. (shrug)

After two weeks you should have just relisted the item, and filed a non-payment bidder form against the buyer to get your fees back.

Here is how I am cut and dry now on eBay:

1. Payment must be made within 4 days after the end of the auction

2. On the second day I sent a one and only friendly email reminder

3. Unless they email me prior to bidding asking for special circumstances in which they can pay me within an acceptable time frame after those 4 days then I will open up a claim right away and relist the auction a couple days later.

4. If the unpaid claim is paid then I just take the down the relisted auction.

If I was you I would have opened up a claim the second the buyer went back on his word here:

At that time, he said that he would need 4 more days to get the money together.

So that is 8 days you gave him to pay.

After that 8th day this whole transaction you should have know is a wash, and you cost yourself time & money.

Rarely do I believe anyone's BS anymore when it comes to why they can'y pay.

To be honest I do not care why they can't pay or care about their problems (if the ones they are even telling me are the truth anyway).

Though I am not without understanding normal circumstances. For example a guy in Pennsylvania won a $350.00 book from me last week. I figured he probably lost power to do Hurricane Sandy, and i waited to hear back from him. Truth be told that is what happened and he paid me on day 6 at his job. He still had no power at home.

The lesson here is buyers will find any means to make good on their bid payment when they can, and some will make the opposite means to make excuses not to. Don't take it personally and just move on.

take it as lesson learned

SOT

Soft-Serve,

As I guess you already now know eBay sellers can not leave negative feedback, and is a main contributor to the some eBay buyers backing out of sales they no longer feel like paying.

I actually blame this 50/50 with you being to blame as well. (shrug)

After two weeks you should have just relisted the item, and file a non-payment bidder form against the buyer to get your fees back.

Here is how I am cut and dry now on eBay:

1. Payment must be made within 4 days after the end of the auction

2. On the second day I sent a one and only friendly email reminder

3. Unless they email me prior to bidding asking for special circumstances in which they can pay me within an acceptable time frame after those 4 days then I will open up a claim right away and relist the auction a couple days later.

4. If the unpaid claim is paid then I just take the down the relisted auction.

If I was you I would have opened up a claim the second the buyer went back on his word here:

At that time, he said that he would need 4 more days to get the money together.

So that is 8 days you gave him to pay.

After that 8th day this whole transaction you should have know is a wash, and you cost yourself time & money.

I pretty never believe anyone's BS anymore when it comes to why they can'y pay.

To be honest I do not care why they can't pay or care about their problems (if the ones they are even telling me are the truth anyway).

take it as lesson learned

SOT

Thanks for that advice, I will abide by it in the future. I guess I wrongly assumed everyone was like myself when it comes to buying/selling online. Lesson learned indeed. doh!

Sellers haven't been able to leave negative feedback on eBay since 2008.

And, oh, the Titanic sunk.

Ridiculous.

Ebay is a waste of time for sellers. I stopped ages ago.

However eBay is still #1 for selling modern books in general.

Pretty much is the measuring stick for the modern market like it or not.

Give him a non paying bidder strike.Then offer it to the next highest bidder.And sorry sellers cant neg buyers.

I can only imagine what his blocked 100% feedback actually says. Should I give him positive feedback, but with negative comments? I suppose it's a waste of time since no one can see the comments save himself, but it might help assuage my outrage.

Then again, I don't want to give him his 30th positive feedback.

Stalemate. :frustrated:

Give him a non paying bidder strike.Then offer it to the next highest bidder.And sorry sellers cant neg buyers.

I can only imagine what his blocked 100% feedback actually says. Should I give him positive feedback, but with negative comments? I suppose it's a waste of time since no one can see the comments save himself, but it might help assuage my outrage.

block him

get your fees back

re-list the auction

move on (thumbs u

If you leave a "false" positive, eBay will remove it - and they'll also ding your selling record for doing so.

As John says, block, relist & move on.

If you leave a "false" positive, eBay will remove it - and they'll also ding your selling record for doing so.

I think there is a way around that, Michael. It took me a little time to figure out a little system. So from experience, I have set an automatic claim action if no payment received after four days. I list that in my auctions. Once the claim is filed, and still no payment is made, I get ready for the last minute before the claim closes or I close it. I then leave this..."Non paying bidder. Beware." Under the positive feedback option. There is nothing negative about that and is simply fact. This has been confirmed with an Ebay rep that it's not a comment that warrants removal.

Then, when the case closes, they can't leave negative feedback because the transaction is closed. I have been doing it for sometime now as I equate non paying bidders to deadbeats. Can't stand them. So far, none of the feedbacks I have left have been removed.

In general, I wish we had a thread where Ebay deadbeats can be outed to warn boardies. These guys keep popping up.

I think there is a way around that, Michael. It took me a little time to figure out a little system. So from experience, I have set an automatic claim action if no payment received after four days. I list that in my auctions. Once the claim is filed, and still no payment is made, I get ready for the last minute before the claim closes or I close it. I then leave this..."Non paying bidder. Beware." Under the positive feedback option. There is nothing negative about that and is simply fact. This has been confirmed with an Ebay rep that it's not a comment that warrants removal.

Irregardless of what the ebay rep said, that's, unfortunately, not correct - I had feedback removed that simply said "Never paid" :(