• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC posted by mre1129

22 posts in this topic

What is wrong here?

IM in a completely disgusted mood right now. I was thinking about sending in another group of modern books. I look to see current turn around times. BAM, Now a 100 business days for Modern books! Really! Since August of this year. its gone from 50 to 100 days!!! 100 days for a 20 day service. 5 times the amount of time that IM PAYING FOR!! I knew it was only a matter of time before they matched the value and the economy times. Which forces people who want to see their books back within the next year to pay extra for the Fast track service.

I think its time for CGC to change their turn around times all together. Its obvious they cant keep up and they have no intention on fixing the problem. Funny they didn't quadruple their fast track times though. They are still on track.

You got us CGC, you're the only one to go to for quality grading services. I love your service, I wont lie. I love to get those grades back on books I love. But for Gods sake, still treat us like customers and honor your times. We pay for a service that we really aren't getting as promised.

See more journals by mre1129

I would agree. Since there seems to be no end in sight for the lengthy delays and CGC doesn't appear to be making any progress in correcting the problem, it's time to make a change. Either make the turnaround times permanent so people know this is what it is from here on out based upon our current staffing and projected volumes, or if it IS possible to shorten the turnaround times but its not profitable enough, then raise the price to include the cost of fast track. My two cents.

Couldn't agree more. I send a lot to pgx id probably rather to send to CGC just so i can actually get it back in a month. And you forgot to mention how they charge you the second they get the books and then make interest off it for 6 months. You did mention the worst part which is that its only getting worse and they are not going to do anything about it.

Yea, I agree. If they need to charge a few dollar more then do so. If I ordered a Pizza and they said 15 min, Then it took them 1 hr and 15 min. EVERYONE would be angry. But since they are the only Pizza place in town I want to go to, IM kind of stuck. Change all the turn around times INCLUDING the fast track times. Maybe they can use that man power in the fast track dept to catch up. Customer service seems to be a priority in some aspects. But this one WHICH IS ONE OF THE MOST IMPORTANT is just tossed to the side.

this its getting worst and worst, the turnaround time for modern fast isnt 10 days either , its taking them around 12 days to ship it back, when normally it was shipped on the 9th day, i know 3 days its not much, but people pays extra for that service, you call and the customer service is horrendous! they go :"well, what you want me to do?" really? thats the answer? a different thing its the staff in conventions, those guys are GREAT!!! always helping and nice customer service, going back to the modern normal topic, you ship a book, you calculate the days, you say ok 80....and all of a sudden it jumps to 100 days? how you go from 80 to 100? but wait, then you log in the page and you have this great note saying how they graded comic book 1.000.000 wowwww thats great, so you making lots of money....GREAT, i have an idea HIRE MORE STAFF, they do this because they are the only ones around and they can....oh ....wait that sound familiar, remember BLOCKBUSTER??? where are they now? guys at CGC yo makes lots of money until somebody realize, comes around, gives a better service and all the client list it took you years to build it just take you a couple days to loose!

lol, too funny. your all right. one thing is for sure they arent doing anything to make it better. They told me they hired 1 addition graded (woo hoo) and one shipping guy and yet When i sent in my oldest shipment it was at like 70 days but since they have had it 4 months it went up to 100, and still climbing. I wonder why im the only one who hates they charge you up front before keeping the books for 6 months though :) Here are some suggestions, first change the forms and dates on the site to tell the truth. HIRE MORE, start working saturdays, stop taking submissions at shows except SS, increase the fast track like 50% so it cuts the amount of them down to really high value books. I dont know why they have all the different service times to begin with or why you get charged more to grade a book from 1970 as one from 1980. The other thing is if your trying to sell any the value can completly drop (or occasionally go up) by the time you get it back so its hard to judge. Oh well i just have to vent, as i fill out another submission form and say goodbye to my books for probably 7 months now :)

It changed once CGC started the witnessing at Comicon. It is odd that we pay more for the service at the show (understandably so) but the artist or writers get no percentage. I think They Should....even if a small amount. (seems like Monopoly). Considering that CGC goes to most of the comicons perhaps they should hire replacements to grade while away...or at least keep the momentum depleating time wise. Thoughts to chew on...yet since the rise in pricing I have not submitted as many to cgc books this year and only wait for the SS at comicons....I feel it is bang for the buck

i dont know whats the deal but, the last modern fast track that i submitted took at least 2 business days than usual, around 12 to 13 working days, while the signature series i did in nycc 2012 were ready in 9 days, i think they go thru different channels, but what its weird to me.........if they take 10 working days for the turn around, and they are 2 days behind hows its possible that a couple batman 13 variant nycc were on ebay listed than less than 10 working days after the convention? with actual pictures, and dont try telling me somebody submitted a Batman 13 express cause there is no way i can believe that, weird right?

Submitted 24 books on 7/15.

Still waiting... figured I would get them back this month, but it look like a long awaited Christmas present is coming. They are 'verified' though.

Call me crazy, but if I were the owners I would be talking to a bank or some other venture capitalist about setting up a second shop (West Coast location).

With regard to fast track, it is currently about 12-14 (I have a 10/18 invoice that was graded on 10/31 and hasn't shipped yet - 12th biz day - should ship today or tomorrow).

However, at the end of the day WE ALL still love CGC (and they know it).

Ryan

You're crazy (well not really). Its a nice idea in theory to open more than one grading center. But rumours of inconsistent grading would abound. Expanding the grading operations they have either on-site or getting a bigger site are more reasonable.

Submitted 24 books on 7/15.

Still waiting... figured I would get them back this month, but it look like a long awaited Christmas present is coming. They are 'verified' though.

Call me crazy, but if I were the owners I would be talking to a bank or some other venture capitalist about setting up a second shop (West Coast location).

With regard to fast track, it is currently about 12-14 (I have a 10/18 invoice that was graded on 10/31 and hasn't shipped yet - 12th biz day - should ship today or tomorrow).

However, at the end of the day WE ALL still love CGC (and they know it).

Ryan

as usual with this companies........yes we allllllllllllllll love them (me included) until somebody sees the potential, does a better job and then we all go with the "new guys" (me included)

i have a great idea, why dont i do a modern regular payment to them with my credit car? that would be great, i can call them and say: "hey, i would pay you in 120 working days, ohhh and fridays before a big convention dont count as working day, i guess they'll be super happy, like us!!!! sitting around looking at the page day after day, to see when the money goes into their account, and when the 120 day arrives and the money from the credit card still dosnt show and they call me i can say exactly what they say, soooo what you want me to do?????"

You're crazy (well not really). Its a nice idea in theory to open more than one grading center. But rumours of inconsistent grading would abound. Expanding the grading operations they have either on-site or getting a bigger site are more reasonable.

I guess only 1/2 crazy then. An expansion would be a better idea (I conceed).

Ryan

Yep, they charge you the same day they get the books WITHOUT FAIL. You do have to wonder what the time limit is for consumers, its gone from about 45-60 days to more than 120 days (my last modern was 7/13 and still not even in scheduled) in just the year and a half that i have been submitting. At that rate they should be at 12 months turn around in another year or two. I wish someone would start another real company or pgx would invest in themselves some more. I am already down to sending CGC about half the books i would like to, we should start a new company called disgruntled comic grading service lol. I can see the add now, are you tired of being charged instantly and then have your books gone for 6 months? Are you tired of being cut in line by fast trackers? then submit your books to DCGS.

hey as for opening a seperate location, i got news for you guys there is already inconsistency in grading, its totally subjective to begin with. Get some guy whos wife just left him and i bet you the number of 9.8s dropps drastically. If you are using a perscribed set of rules/notes for grading (the overstreet guide) then it should be the same whether you have two guys grading in the same room or two guys grading 3000 miles away. A west coast would be a great idea, save the two weeks it takes for it to ship to FL and back for me. What are you guys fast tracking? the should make fast track like $100 so only books that are worth several thousand get fast tracked.

hey as for opening a seperate location, i got news for you guys there is already inconsistency in grading, its totally subjective to begin with. Get some guy whos wife just left him and i bet you the number of 9.8s dropps drastically. If you are using a perscribed set of rules/notes for grading (the overstreet guide) then it should be the same whether you have two guys grading in the same room or two guys grading 3000 miles away. A west coast would be a great idea, save the two weeks it takes for it to ship to FL and back for me. What are you guys fast tracking? the should make fast track like $100 so only books that are worth several thousand get fast tracked.

but for right now, all books are graded in one place, so you don't KNOW who is grading, and grades are consistently inconsistent, but you don't can't really perceive the reason. IF you open two separate locations, and one is percieved as being consistently higher or lower than the other, you will create a situation where everyone wants to get graded at one site versus another, or a secondary market where your books graded at CGC WEST are worth more. This is inviting someone to compete against themselves.

Think of it like restaurants. Yes, there are some restaurants, that after they split off are EXACTLY as good in every case as good as the original, but more likely there are some variances and the offshoot gets a reputation for better pasta, worse steak, better overall but more inconsistent, faster service, etc. They already have infrastructure in place where they are, but I'm pretty sure they're only grading in the daytime during fairly normal business hours. The facilities are always there, if they hired more people (I know it ain't easy), they could be grading 24 hrs a day (in shifts) and encasing, and packaging, and doing paperwork 24 hrs a day on the site they already have. This would all be done without increasing non-labor overhead by too much (well less than building a new site).

The problem of course, is recruiting, hiring, and training, and finding time and resources to do so.

Good points all around. I like the multiple shifts idea, but then you would have the complaint, "this one must have been graded by the third shift crew!" I know it's crazy. I worked shift work for five years and there was a constant blame going on.

The answer is there is no great answer but to expand daytime operations.

Ryan

i have to disagree about the west/east thing. I just think that if you use the same guidelines, send a few books to both locations for testign etc. the overall output will be in line, if not then you need more exact definitions in the grading rules. In any case, expanding daytime, starting nighttime, paying OT for working weekends are all answers. Unfortunately CGC doesnt seem to be interested in these or working on any of their own. We should have all received notice that they had to move to a building twice as big by now.

Ok, now here is the next questions. where is a comment from a CGC rep on this? Any one know whats being done? Other then I think someone said they hired 1 person and was training Gemma, who already has enough on her plate.