• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comics on CD - is it legal

52 posts in this topic

Whoa....I just bought some "digital comics" as it was advertised in a sales thread. All CBR files. Not codes like I thought they were. It was a pain too because I had to download/extract the files and convert some to .cbr.

This is illegal?

Probably not.

I think the only way to legally buy digital comics are those old Marvel boxed sets. Otherwise you're subscribing to controlled access under a EULA, with no ownership rights.

CBR and CBZ are homegrown free range scans archived as either .zip (.cbz) or .rar (.cbr) files.

51h7VVoQfsL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Selling CBR/CBZ files of recently released comics is not legal.

I am not too tech savy,so I ask is there anyway those old Marvel boxed sets could be downloaded to a Ipad or Kindle Fire?

:wishluck:

Good question. They're Mac/Windows DVD, the books are PDF format.

The trick would be copying individual .pdf files from the DVD to a hard drive, then you could drop them onto devices. Ipad and most eReaders can handle .pdf, but the DVD may be protected or locked down somehow.

One of those "where there's a will, there's a way" situations, my guess.

I take that back...

(GIT Corp is who published the Marvel DVD/pdf collections)

Marvel Comics on DVD / Digital Readers

"Here's what a page of the GIT Corp DVDs looks like on the iPad:"

25f77a32.jpg

"The easiest way to copy PDFs over is through iTunes. You just drag them into a window next to whatever PDF reader you use, like so:"

AddingcomicstoiTunes.jpg

I swear she said she was 18!...er, I mean should that stuff be allowed on the boards?

No it shouldn't. Not in my eyes anyway. Don't see a problem with digital codes, but CBR/CBZ files is piracy.

Whoa....I just bought some "digital comics" as it was advertised in a sales thread. All CBR files. Not codes like I thought they were. It was a pain too because I had to download/extract the files and convert some to .cbr.

This is illegal?

A sales thread on this site?

This is illegal?

A sales thread on this site?

Yea. I bought about 38 .cbr books thinking they were the one time code thingies :P

Thread

I swear she said she was 18!...er, I mean should that stuff be allowed on the boards?

No it shouldn't. Not in my eyes anyway. Don't see a problem with digital codes, but CBR/CBZ files is piracy.

Do you feel that way about public domain comics that have been scanned and filed?

Do you feel that way about public domain comics that have been scanned and filed?

Why would I feel that way about public domain comics? How can they be pirated?

So it's not the cbr/cbz file, but the material being offered that you object too. Got it, thanks.

So it's not the cbr/cbz file, but the material being offered that you object too. Got it, thanks.

Piracy. That's what I'm against. (thumbs u