• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ditch Fahrenheit's Journal
7 7

17,386 posts in this topic

cgcmod4 Administrator Offline

Collector

From the very beginning, CGC made the decision that books from before 1950 found with a very minor amount of color touch or glue acting as restoration can still get a blue Universal label, although the color touch or glue will still always be disclosed on the label itself. In addition, the minor color touch or glue will be treated as a defect and will in no way raise the grade of the book.

(As an aside, the SHOWCASE #4 mentioned had a drop of glue on it, but it was non-functional, i.e. was not being used to seal a tear or as reinforcement. So despite being post-1950, the glue on the book was a defect and was not being used as restoration. Like tape, though, glue is something that the graders at CGC always disclose on the label weather it's functional or not.)

To sum up-

1.The book must be from before 1950.

2. The color touch or glue found must be very minor.

3. It will ALWAYS be noted on the label itself.

4. It will be down-graded.

CGC Response to "CGC notes slight resto, assigns blue label?"

3hiriko.jpg

Electric folding car coming to a parking space near you

Parking is about to get a lot easier, as long as you don’t mind driving a car that folds in the middle.

Developed over the past four years by MIT, the Hiriko is an electric microcar that has the unique ability to make itself shorter than it already is.

The size of a Smart Fortwo when fully extended, the two-seat vehicle can shrink to about half its length and features a front-opening canopy to facilitate head-on curb parking. Three of them will fit side by side in a standard space.

As if urban maneuverability were an issue for such a small vehicle, the bubble-car rides on so-called “robot-wheels” that provide four-wheel steering and allow it to make an O-turn by rotating on its axis.

Powered by batteries, the Hiriko has a range of 62 miles per charge. An onboard computer has the ability to track its location and automatically restrict its speed to the legal limit, while its navigation system can tug at the wheel to tell the driver which way to go.

However, the most shocking thing about the futuristic car is that it will be in production by the end of the year.

The Spanish government has teamed up with a consortium of business from the country’s Basque region to manufacture the Hiriko – which means “urban” in the Basque language of Euskera - and deploy offer them through a point-to-point car-sharing program similar to the bicycle sharing schemes currently in place in many cities.

The first tests are scheduled to start in the city of Bilbao, Spain later this year and possibly Boston, as well. The Guardian reports that the cars will be manufactured in “deprived areas of cities that take up the scheme” in an effort to spur economic development.

The price for each vehicle is expected to be approximately $16,000.

Fans re-create a classic with 'Star Wars: Uncut'

Countless fans around the world know the original "Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope" by heart. And thanks to the efforts of Casey Pugh, they have been able to prove it, in some of the most creative ways possible.

Pugh crowd-sourced the movie, asking fans to take different small portions of the movie and re-create it. Years after he launched the project, "Star Wars: Uncut" is finally available to view online in its entirety.

CNN Geek Out spoke with Pugh about the project:

CNN Geek Out: Where did the idea come from?

Pugh: I was just generally interested in crowd-sourcing in 2009, while I was working at Vimeo.com. I was thinking about getting filmmakers to collaborate online. I started thinking, what's the easiest way to create a feature length film using the Internet? I stumbled upon the idea of splitting a film into pieces and asking the Internet to re-create it.

CNN Geek Out: Why "Star Wars?"

Pugh: It's the Michael Jackson of movies. I'm a pretty huge "Star Wars" fan, and sci-fi fan in general. I can't think of a single movie that has a larger fanbase. It seemed like the perfect vehicle to get this project launched.

CNN Geek Out: How long did it take to gather all of the pieces of the movie needed?

Pugh: It was probably about six months or so. I built the site in about a week, and it became very successful just that one week. I started getting scenes, and they started coming in faster and faster. I probably had every scene in five to six months, which is amazing! I asked my friend Aaron Valdez and brother Brian Pugh to cut them together as a director's cut. Technically, what you see was made two years ago, but I was making sure everything was legally cleared before I released it.

CNN Geek Out: How many pieces in all?

Pugh: There are 473 pieces total, 15 seconds each. You could also submit more than one version of each scene. I had 1000 submissions before I closed the submission process.

CNN Geek Out: Do you personally have the same detailed knowledge of "Star Wars" scenes that many hardcore fans have?

Pugh: That's the biggest part of its success. You can watch one of these scenes that may not be great on its own. But when you watch the scenes back to back, you recall that memory. People know "Star Wars" like the back of their hand. It's pretty (interesting) that you don't necessarily have to know the story to be entertained by the project.

CNN Geek Out: What did this tell you about "Star Wars" fans?

Pugh: I'm starting to feel like George Lucas, in understanding how rabid and huge the fanbase is. When I was a little slow to respond to something, they would ask me to hurry up? Now that it's out, people are asking when is "The Empire Strikes Back: Uncut?"

CNN Geek Out: Would you like to do that?

Pugh: "The Empire Strikes Back: Uncut" is something I definitely want to do. It's only a matter of time.