• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ditch Fahrenheit's Journal
7 7

17,386 posts in this topic

Absolute and total dumb luck. (shrug)

Long story, short....I just got back into comics and decided I'd try and buy some books I could never afford in my youth. I had no idea where to start, so I checked eBay. Came across a listing that contained a CGC book and said WTF is that?

I went to the CGC website to see what it was all about and the concept intrigued me. Saw they had a message board and, for some reason that I'll never really know, I signed up. It was the first message board I had ever signed up on, and the only one I still check out.

I started seeing CGC books on eBay and went to their website to find out cost information. I didn't notice that they had a message board at the time.

It wasn't until I wanted to know how CGC grading differed from Overstreet that I found the message boards through a search engine. Then I lurked for years before I signed up.

I remember hearing about CGC back when they started up. There were articles in magazines and I was involved in some rather spirited discussions on the old Marvel.com boards.

For some reason I didn't find the message board until 2005.

Like I said, it was total dumb luck that I even found the boards, let alone signed up for them. I must've been bored at work that day or something.

I did, however, end up buying that first CGC book I ran across. A DD#158 in 9.0. lol

When I rec'd the book, I couldn't figure out why a book that looked so perfect got "only" a 9.0. I couldn't imagine what a 9.4 or 9.6 must look like.

Of course, this was back when turnaround times were correct and you used to get 3 free Express coupons with your membership. :preach: