• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Acquires Classics Inc - Response to your Questions

1,162 posts in this topic

What are the odds that any legit questions in this thread ever get answered from CGC?

Not as great as the thread being locked.

Well, CGC did come back to basically tell you all to shut up, so I think the odds of legitimate questions being answered is probably nil.

At this point, any answer from CGC would be nice lol

CGCs stance has always been to label a book pressed if the book/cover has been cleaned. It is part and parcel of that technique that has to happen. So I a book has had its cover cleaned ( you can tell if it has been done) then by the very nature of the cleaning the cover has to be pressed.

It's a bit misleading (the notation) because there is no reference to chem-clean or dry.

What are the odds that any legit questions in this thread ever get answered from CGC?

Well, CGC did come back to basically tell you all to shut up, so I think the odds of legitimate questions being answered is probably nil.

My message back from them was that I was temporarily not allowed to post in this forum. :lol: Apparently my strike papers didn't go through..., yet. :blush:

My message back from them was that I was temporarily not allowed to post in this forum. :lol: Apparently my strike papers didn't go through..., yet. :blush:

Banning responses in a response thread?!?! :o

CGCs stance has always been to label a book pressed if the book/cover has been cleaned. It is part and parcel of that technique that has to happen. So I a book has had its cover cleaned ( you can tell if it has been done) then by the very nature of the cleaning the cover has to be pressed.

But I wonder if this still the case. Are there any new label examples of this or are they all from the eary years of CGC? "Clean & press" used to be a common phase in the old days before the widespread practice of pressing alone, like "bread & butter" or "salt & pepper." I would guess that nowadays a book like this would only say "cover cleaned."

Banning responses in a response thread?!?! :o

Its not that it is because toronto cheeted in the Grey cup

dam easteners!

:)

But I wonder if this still the case. Are there any new label examples of this or are they all from the eary years of CGC? "Clean & press" used to be a common phase in the old days before the widespread practice of pressing alone, like "bread & butter" or "salt & pepper." I would guess that nowadays a book like this would only say "cover cleaned."

^^

Cap18CGC1.jpg

^^

Cap18CGC1.jpg

That was my question as I started thru this thread when someone said CGC noted pressing on restored books...

So using pickyC's example is "cleaned" their code word for pressed? I always thought cleaned meant some chemical application to literally clean the book (remove dirt/soil, etc)

So using pickyC's example is "cleaned" their code word for pressed? I always thought cleaned meant some chemical application to literally clean the book (remove dirt/soil, etc)

When a cover is cleaned, it's removed from the book (staples off), cleaned in a solvent bath (liquid) and then pressed afterward to make sure it lays flat. It wasn't that they had to detect the pressing, it was that the cover must have been pressed after a wash.

In the beginning it was notated as cleaned and pressed.

I can only think that CGC has removed the "pressed" portion from the label because they felt it was causing confusion (just as it has been in this very thread) with many people asking why some books are labelled as pressed and some are not.

That was my question as I started thru this thread when someone said CGC noted pressing on restored books...

"Cover cleaned" indicates some type of aqueous treatment. Abrasive/dry cleaning is considered "non-additive" and not noted.

Am I needed here any longer?

Depends.

Are you wrinkle free?

That's not up for disclosure although I may get a pressing just for the heck of it. You know, to straighten me out.

:blush:

When a cover is cleaned, it's removed from the book (staples off), cleaned in a solvent bath (liquid) and then pressed afterward to make sure it lays flat. It wasn't that they had to detect the pressing, it was that the cover must have been pressed after a wash.

In the beginning it was notated as cleaned and pressed.

I can only think that CGC has removed the "pressed" portion from the label because they felt it was causing confusion (just as it has been in this very thread) with many people asking why some books are labelled as pressed and some are not.

Ah Thanks for the 411 V.C.

I am smarter now.

how often does that happen on the internet!?!

More pressing whining. It amuses me.

This whole thread is hilarious.

This thread is nothing more than the same thing going in circles for years.

Abrasive/dry cleaning is considered "non-additive" and not noted.

It's also generally not detectable most of the time.

As has been mentioned over and over, you can't detect something that is no longer there.

In every case that pressing is noted on the label, either CGC detected it was pressed, or they guessed it was pressed, right? CGC removing "pressed" from the label continues their well-documented history of providing less and less information to the collector/consumer over time.

In their early days, CGC was great because they leveled the playing field when it came to high grade books and restoration detection. These days? It appears they are more interested in manufacturing high grade books than they are with evaluating their condition and state of preservation and providing such information to the collecting community. :screwy:

The running joke in certification is when something becomes too hard or unprofitable to detect, it's the next notch on the "unable to detect' list.

One can only chuckle at a defense of pressing that lauds it as a benign process on the one hand, and one that few collectors care about, and yet on the other bemoans the prospect that identifying it on the CGC label or graders notes would place a stigma on pressed books and lower their desirability and value in the marketplace.

You are trying to lump more than one person and point from the discussion into the same group trying to show that there is a splinter in the discussion. Even if people do or don't mind pressing, they are not necessarily going to agree on everything. For example, you are using arguments put forth by both MCMiles and myself as a unified front but I respectfully agree disagree with Mike about CGC's business decision for not notating pressing. And that's all it was, was a business disagreement.

Secondly, you are chuckling and doing it to try to show that it's a foolish discussion. It's a childish tactic that moves the discussion from the core of what is being discussed.

The process is benign because it can actually happen naturally. No form of matter that I know of is exempt from the laws of physics.

Yes there is bemoaning from a business point of view because CGC is in business. No successful business is exempt from the laws of economics.

Two entirely different things.

This thread is nothing more than the same thing going in circles for years.

Your posts seem honest and a genuine attempt to inform, so I want ask you a question. Straight up, no argument from me afterward. I just want to read your honest response, see if I can wrap my head around it...

Do you think there's anything "weird" about a System that degrades a comic book for tiny non-damaged paper irregularities (easily reversed with common pressing techniques), but has no problem with completely undoing the original factory book-assembly?

I really have a hard time getting past that. So, what do you think?

Maybe that's where the thinking splits. Comic books are factory-produced mechanical book-assemblies, intended to move. The assembly itself, the "book", represents a specific vintage.

How do you see "comic books" as collectibles? Is a modern book-assembly created from vintage parts the same as an original production? If a post-production paper-wave is a "defect", how about a complete post-production undoing of the entire artifact?