• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Reholdering old label books

54 posts in this topic

Could you please STOP misquoting me or taking statements out of context. Where did I state this:

'I simply stated the proven truth that within ten to fifteen all books should have their micro chamber changed.'

???

Are you sure those were my exact words, really?

With all due respect and as previously stated, I am also involved with conservation of antiques and collectibles. It is part of what dealers and collectors do on a regular basis. I never stated in my original post that seven years is the 'rule.' I simply stated the proven truth that within ten to fifteen all books should have their microchamber changed (some will say longer; some less so). If you think that after this time this paper will still be as effective as when it was first placed in the original holder, you are mistaken. Therefore, I am not helping to fathom any such 'myth.' I am merely providing basic facts to those that want to properly conserve their books.

Was this a trick question?

Yes, but my question was for 'theagenes'

lol

I heard a myth you can roll big Cheech and Chong doobies with old Micro chamber paper.

The older the better.

So that is as good a good reason as any to swap them out at some point, if nothing else.

I would imagine you would get different results depending on how much acid it had absorbed. hm

I wonder if books from the 60's yield better results.

hm

I would imagine you would get different results depending on how much acid it had absorbed. hm

hm

Cracking my Zap Comix right now! :idea:

Forget the mcp , smoke the comic itself!!

^^

hm

^^

Wondering what kind of effect you would get from a restored comic? hm

hm

^^

55173-KrustyAction1c.jpg

hm

^^

55173-KrustyAction1c.jpg

You know I sent Steve(143ksk) a vial of Action 1 chips as part of his Mystery Box from the Flatrock fundraiser thread.

He said he was going to sprinkle some on his Cigar and smoke them.

Steve might have superpowers now!!

:ohnoez:

Ah, good time for a stooped question - what is "SCS potential"?

SCS is short for Shaken Comic Syndrome (also known as SSS, Shaken Slab Syndrome).

There was a design flaw with CGC's old label holders where some books wouldn't be secured properly within the inner well - as the books could move around inside the slab, they were susceptible to corner damage from bumping into the well.

Here's thread from 2004 where it was discussed pretty extensively:

I'M OVER IT ...

I think he meant the "potential" part of SCS.

Which has more to do with if the book is sitting in a holder that is too big.

If the top edge has serious overhang etc.

I may be wrong though.

Actually both - now I know what SCS means, and that certain older slabs had a flaw in the design that created the potential for this to occur.

Learned something.

Thanks ;)