• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Top 5 Modern Artists?

89 posts in this topic

Ah, Mr. Crain :):cloud9:

And happy birthday!

I actually got to hang out with Mr. Crain today. Every time I visit him I'm impressed with how he continues to focus on improving his abilities. He's working on some stuff for some boardies now that is fantastic.

It's a pretty hard question, because certain artists excel at specific kind of work, but in general given a reasonable body of work and overall consistency --

Jim Lee

Steve Epting

Gabriele Dell'otto

David Finch

Lee Bermejo

Edited to be as "Modern" as possible with this list, Clayton Crain is definitely one of my favorites but as far as a wide body of work he's not quite there yet but a tremendous talent (especially some of the things he's brought to the digital realm)

So many other amazing newer artists working these days, it's a good time to be a fan of the medium.

1. Bernie Wrightson (eventhough he has been around for a while), he is the king in my book.

2. Jim Lee

3. Neal Adams (again been around for a while, but still one of the kings)

4. David Finch

5. J. Scott Campbell

Honorable Mentions: Art Adams, George Perez, Amanda Conner, Adam Hughes, and Mike Ploog.

Mark Bagley (for ASM and USM)

Jim Lee (for Batman)

Andy Kubert (for his 90's X-Men)

Adam Kubert (for his 90's Wolverine)

Gabrielle Dell'Otto (for pretty much everything he does, especially his covers)

Gonna steal the "Honorable Mentions" idea from Triston: David Finch, JG Jones, Mike Deodato, Alex Ross, Mauro Cascioli.