• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tales from the Island of Serendip
4 4

8,956 posts in this topic

My trip had been timed to coincide with Children's Day on 14th and the Food Festival on 16th November. Shahina aspires to become a politician and from everything I see she certainly has the chops for it. For the Food Festival she has managed to secure the support of Abdul Mannan, Leader of the Opposition in the West Bengal Legislative Assembly. There is an awards ceremony, at which he and I give out little trophies to the Food Festival chefs, and the trainee taxi drivers.

The Roshni Theatre Group becomes the Roshni Dance Group. And after the heavyweights have gone,I become a Happy Fool, one minute wearing the women's hijab, symbol of confinement and oppression; and the next serenading the ladies with my rendering of an old Bengali love song. Then I really get it going with John Denver and Joni Mitchell! Be afraid...

IMG_4174_zpsgmrjoflx.jpg