• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tales from the Island of Serendip
4 4

8,956 posts in this topic

Barbotey Rock Garden at Chunnu Summer Falls is a recently added tourist attraction. It is a showpiece meant to lure people to Darjeeling after political agitations disrupted tourism in the 1980s. (It was this agitation that prevented me from visiting Darjeeling when I was resident in India from 1980 to 1982.)

The garden is about 10 kilometres from Darjeeling. For Purnabha and Lucina it was a highlight of their honeymoon in March and they are keen to revisit fond memories. The steep road descends rapidly into the valley. With hairpin bends and switchbacks all the way, there are scenic views at many points. Tea gardens dot the vertiginous hill slopes.

But when we reach it, I ask them if they would not mind if instead of joining them in the garden, that I use the time instead to walk back up the road to Darjeeling. I'm sure they will appreciate some quality time together, and for me, being alone in the hills on a sunny, peaceful road is infinitely preferable to an artificially created and busy tourist destination.

I set out, intending to reach Darjeeling before our off road vehicle can overtake me. I almost make it...

rock-garden-darjeeling_zpsgsdg2sff.jpg