• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best of the Best Sketch: 2012: Boardie Choice

This one is for all the marbles  

243 members have voted

1. 1. This one is for all the marbles

39 posts in this topic

I'm just getting a chance to look over these threads and I've got to say that I'm surprised. I figured it was a coin toss and could have gone either way on the "Other" category, but I was surprised to see the Romita Spidey made it through, too. Thanks for the votes.

It's nice to see artists from Modern, Copper, and Silver ages all represented. It shows that there's a pretty wide range of tastes in the sig room.

The website is nice, the logos are cool (sporting my new ones now) and it takes a lot of time and effort to put this all together. Thanks to all involved. And thanks to those who donated prizes as well. I'll be using a few of the items I'll receive to list in benefit threads that boardies hold here from time to time. My way of passing along the good karma. :)

What blank is the TMNT drawn on? Was there a blank TMNT #1? Also does anybody know what blank Clay Mann used for his?

The TMNT was drawn on a TMNT #1 (there was at least one blank for it). The Clay Mann was done on one of .Troys custom blanks. I'll shoot a couple your way so you can try them out.

The majority of those TMNT blanks were ones that came presketched by Eastman if your store ordered x amount of the new series if I remember what Adam told me correctly. The rest of the blanks are still with Eastman or a few have gotten out I would guess.

That is cool, I had no idea there was a TMNT blank, just searched for it on eBay and they are $99 each - ouch!

Hey Scott,

There are a few different types of Turtle blanks. If I remember correctly there are 3-4. The nice ones are indeed pricey, the crummy ones are cheaper - 10-15$?

I have a small stack of the cheaper ones, not great quality but not $99.

The Clay Mann sketch was done on my blank. PM me your shipping address and I will get one out to you.

That is cool, I had no idea there was a TMNT blank, just searched for it on eBay and they are $99 each - ouch!

Hey Scott,

There are a few different types of Turtle blanks. If I remember correctly there are 3-4. The nice ones are indeed pricey, the crummy ones are cheaper - 10-15$?

I have a small stack of the cheaper ones, not great quality but not $99.

To clear things up on the TMNT blanks, there are a lot of different variants for the early issues of the new IDW run; blank or otherwise. A few of the issues and this on the back cover, intended for sketches. It's slick and, as mentioned, on the back cover, which is a bit less desirable for most, but perfect for homages to the first issue:

tmnt2back.jpg

One of the variants for the Leonardo 1-shot from IDW features a blank back cover as well. Again, it's a bit slick.

leonardo1_coverE_back.jpg

Most of the blanks you're going to see for sale are from the Detroit Fanfare a year or so ago. They were a con exclusive and as it turns out, the stock is pretty good on them. The only drawback if anyone cares is the logo on the front corner. These are likely the ones selling for $25+ each.

DFF2011-TMNT-exclusive.jpg

Finally, IDW and Kevin Eastman worked out a deal. IDW would give Kevin his own blank where he (as far as I've seen) controls the whole run. Kevin would do a sketch and send it to retailers who ordered more than X copies of TMNT #1. He did that and kept the rest. The run is reported to be 500 copies. I've never seen a blank one outside of Kevin's possession. These look identical to the Detroit Fanfare covers except there is no logo in the corner. The stock is pretty good on these.

IDW-1_RI-D_Kevin-Eastman-Sketch.jpg