• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Very Rare Find! ACA Comix No. 1

25 posts in this topic

Dear Logan,

Thanks for sharing... is it me or is JB a bit uptight?

SW3D

It's you.

You could always just ask him on his board about the book, he may even know how many copies were printed. You could also ask his art dealer Jim Warden if it would be possible to get JB to sign it, though I wouldn't bet on him doing it for CGC sig series.

Dear Logan,

SW3D

It's you.

You could always just ask him on his board about the book, he may even know how many copies were printed. You could also ask his art dealer Jim Warden if it would be possible to get JB to sign it, though I wouldn't bet on him doing it for CGC sig series.

lol Fanboy.

Dear Logan,

SW3D

It's you.

lol Fanboy.

Guilty as charged :blush:

Hey Screenwriter,

I do plan on going to NY next year, when the time gets closer I would love to put a face to the pen, now onto the issues. lol. I think we are comparing apples to oranges. I have not run into creators upset that they are asked to sign multiple books but instead only complain if they are getting graded. (I will get back to show etiquette after.) I do not mind if a creator charges for an autograph, and of course, ultimately, they can all do what they want, but my problem lays with the idea that some will charge only if it is going to be CGC’d. Again, I can understand this to an extent if it is some absurd amount of signatures but not for the normal amount they will sign. They are doing the same amount of work. For example, Jim Lee will usually sign three items when you wait in his normal show line for nothing, but he will usually charge when the books are coming directly from CGC or Desert Wind or the like. I understand that. In NY I paid Desert Wind their fee along the CGC fee and the 10.00 extra per book for Jim to have him sign 10 or 15 books and I was very happy with it. In turn he signed about 500 books in a half hour. That makes sense. But Chris Claremont, who is not charging for signatures, or even selling anything at all, trying to charge for a CGC book does not sit right with me. He is just an example, he did not complain or ask for money, he was very friendly and courteous.

So here is the big question, do these creators get paid to be there? And how much responsibility to the fans do they have? Or better yet does the real problem lie with the promoters of the show and with CGC for that matter? I will use myself as an example. I have done very well this year and have turned my hobby, sometime money maker, into a full scale business. I have started to count on these shows to make a living, but only because they are promoted in a way that makes it feasible. I am told these people will be at the shows to do this type of thing. I am also told that CGC will be there to facilitate these practices. But once there I sometime get the feeling it is a little bit of a bait and switch. Creator don’t know much of the process, show employees have no idea of what’s going on or where creators are, and creators show up when they want if at all. So for me, who has now spent tons of money to get to the show, pay for the show, stay at the hotel, eat(lol), and not to mention the countless hours that have gone into getting and preparing the correct books, it is imperative that I get everything done that I prepared to do. It has been more than worth it, but only because I am very organized and have been able to adapt to other peoples ineptitude and ignorance.

You can understand a little of this because you said you had some frustration with some of the CGC guys. I actually thought they were great in NY. In Baltimore they seemed a little less prepared and getting items signed was a litter harder, but even so I was able to do what I had to.

To get back to show etiquette, I might be biased because I am usually at a show 2 to 4 days so time is not an issue. But I do not mind someone having a lot of books to sign. On the show floor there is limits, it is just that there are so many people there the lines are outrages. In the artist alley though there usually is not. Most creators will sign until their hands fall off, once again is that not what they are there for? As for people behind me, I have never been shut out of a creator because people brought too many books. (Just for the record I will have ten books signed and then go to the back of the line if I need more done).

OK I think that is enough for one sitting.

Great insights BB!

You obviously have quite a bit experience at

this where I clearly do not.

We have to meet when you come to NYC!

I would like to pick your brain and get to know how you

made a business out of the hobby... It was something

I had been considering doing part time to supplement

my income.

Let's keep in touch and plan on a meet-up in NYC!

Happy New Year!

SW3D