• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How many collectors would pay $27K for a JLA #1 9.2?

94 posts in this topic

Are you suggesting that the occasional insanely-priced book damages the market in some way? If not, then we all get to gawk, the book doesn't change hands, and nobody gets hurt in the attempted robbery. Or is this your way of redirecting attention toward the Showcase?

For $27,000 I would swerve around the JLA #1, pass by the BB#28, be tempted by a Showcase#22 but end up with a very nice Showcase#4. Showcase #4 is THE book.

Steve

Steve, I hold Showcase #22 in very high esteem, but no way is it more important or valuable than B&B 28 in comparable grade. In the World of SA DC According to Tim, the Top 5, in order of desirability, are:

1. Showcase 4

2. B&B 28

3. Showcase 22

4. Adventure 247

5. Flash 105

And by the way, if you`ve got a Showcase #4 in 9.2 for sale for $27K, then I`ve got a check with your name on it and a FedEx envelope all ready to go...

I wouldn't pay $15K for this issue so I'm not sure what the point is here? I'm not sure I would pay $350K for a car but if I had the money I might. I guess its all relative and we can mock those who list their books at high prices but if someone wants to pay for them, well, more power to them? OT- I just see on Yahoo that Nic Cage just married a 20-year old. I bet you he misses those comics.

For $27,000 I would swerve around the JLA #1, pass by the BB#28, be tempted by a Showcase#22 but end up with a very nice Showcase#4. Showcase #4 is THE book.

Steve

Ditto on that!!!

If we are keeping the "buying-frame-of-mind" purely in the Silver age, $27,000.00 would go for a Showcase #4!

A very KEY book which is much more diffucult to find (FF # 1 or AF # 15 being more easily found.)

Otherwise I'd spend the $27,000 on a nice Golden age book: A VERY nice Timely! cloud9.gif

Steve I know you guys have a consignment service and was curious if you would agree to sell a JLA 1 CGC 9.2 if the consigner wanted it listed at $27,000 on your site? Would you give it a try or decline? I know ComicLink has taken books down that they felt sellers had listed too high on the site.

Show of hands. Answer this honestly. You are being offered a CGC 9.2 JLA#1 for $27,000.00

If you chose to buy it, you would have to write out a check for $27,000. Would you write that check?

I guess the real question here is: What would YOU price a JLA CGC 9.2 on your website? popcorn.gifpopcorn.gifpopcorn.gif

Welcome to THE BOARDS!!!! 27_laughing.gif

One other thought on this topic, and a reason why I`ve begun to pull back a bit in my buying: relativity of DC prices to Marvel prices. Historically, high grade SA DC have been seriously undervalued when you take into consideration their scarcity and historical significance. They typically went at a fraction of the values commanded by Marvels, which were much more plentiful in high grade. Not surprising, of course, because Marvels are much more popular, there are many more deep-pocketed collectors and the market is much deeper, broader and more liquid. Therefore DCs historically have, and should have in my opinion, traded at discounts to comparable Marvels.

It`s my perception that in the past year or so, at least when it comes to ultra HG SA DC, the gap has narrowed significantly or perhaps closed up completely. Some examples:

1. A 9.4 B&B #28 sold at Heritage in April for $60K. By way of comparison, how many 9.4 Marvels could command a price in excess of $60K? AF #15, FF #1 and IH #1 for sure. JIM #83 maybe given the current JIM mania. I doubt ASM #1 or X-Men #1 could break it. So B&B #28, a DC, is now more valuable than all Marvels except for 3, or maybe 4, titles? Madness.

2. A 9.4 Flash #123 sold at Heritage in June for $25K. So what 9.4 Marvels could command a price in excess of $25K? AF #15, FF #1, IH #1, JIM #83, ASM #1, X-Men #1, TOS #39, TTA #27 for sure. I don`t know the Marvel market well enough to say with any precision whether any FFs 2-10 or ASM 2-10 in 9.4 could command $25K, although my guess is not many ASMs given that a ASM #3 in 9.6 just sold for $25K. Assuming for the sake of argument that FF #s 2, 3, 4 and 5 in 9.4 could break $25K, that would rank Flash 123 as more expensive than all but 12 Marvels. Sure it`s the first Earth II and reintroduction of the DC GA characters, but that`s nuts.

3. A 9.2 Flash #105 and a 9.2 JLA #1 sold at Heritage in April for $29,900 and $27,600, respectively. Again, how many 9.2 Marvels could command these prices? Same old suspects: AF #15, FF #1, IH#1 for sure, possibly JIM #83. TOS #39 has an outside shot. Doubtful that ASM #1, X-Men #1 or TTA #27 in 9.2 would reach this level. In my own view, Flash #105 is only the 5th most desirable SA DC book, and JLA #1 is somewhere in the lower part of the top 10. But they`re more valuable than all but 4 Marvels in 9.2? Insanity.

The historical gap between Marvel and DC prices has been closed, at least for ultra-high grade books. I guess you could look at this is a sign that Marvels will start shooting up to restore the historical gap. But more likely these current valuations for DCs have gotten ahead of themselves. This is not a great crash prediction, just wanted to highlight my perception that relative valuations have gotten out of whack.

Steve, I hold Showcase #22 in very high esteem, but no way is it more important or valuable than B&B 28 in comparable grade. In the World of SA DC According to Tim, the Top 5, in order of desirability, are:

1. Showcase 4

2. B&B 28

3. Showcase 22

4. Adventure 247

5. Flash 10

I would respectfully disagree. B&B 28, a book I love, is not as important as Showcase#22, the first Green Lantern. B&B #22 is not the first appearance of a particular character. Now, if it was the first teaming of the DC super-heroes, I would agree with you. However, that honor belongs to All-Star #3.

1. Showcase 4

2. B&B 28

3. Showcase 22

4. Adventure 247

5. Flash 10

I would respectfully disagree. B&B 28, a book I love, is not as important as Showcase#22, the first Green Lantern. B&B #22 is not the first appearance of a particular character. Now, if it was the first teaming of the DC super-heroes, I would agree with you. However, that honor belongs to All-Star #3.

I disagree: both are first Silver Age apperances of Golden Age ideas, equally important/significant. First re-submission of group/hero. Just MHO.

1. Showcase 4

2. B&B 28

3. Showcase 22

4. Adventure 247

5. Flash 10

Steve, both arguments have merit, and I admit at various times I`ve flip-flopped. But B&B 28`s importance isn`t lessened by the existence of All Star 3, anymore than Showcase 4`s importance is lessened by Flash #1. It`s apples and oranges. All Star 3 is the first teaming of GA superheroes, B&B 28 is the first teaming of SA superheroes.

-Tim

Show of hands. Answer this honestly. You are being offered a CGC 9.2 JLA#1 for $27,000.00

If you chose to buy it, you would have to write out a check for $27,000. Would you write that check?

I guess the real question here is: What would YOU price a JLA CGC 9.2 on your website? popcorn.gifpopcorn.gifpopcorn.gif

Welcome to THE BOARDS!!!! 27_laughing.gif

And,...the answer is,.....???popcorn.gif

$16,500.00 to $17,500.00

Reasonable price: given the grade , the age of the book & the current market for slabbed. Thanks for the answer! thumbsup2.gif

How much for a Spawn # 1 CGC 10.0? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Steve I know you guys have a consignment service and was curious if you would agree to sell a JLA 1 CGC 9.2 if the consigner wanted it listed at $27,000 on your site? Would you give it a try or decline? I know ComicLink has taken books down that they felt sellers had listed too high on the site.

This is a good, valid question. Care to respond on this? 893scratchchin-thumb.gifpopcorn.gif