• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Preview: Silver 1

39 posts in this topic

As comparison...and a rant sign-rantpost.gif

When I look at my Dr. Strange 9.0 White pager.. and compare it to this Avengers....

Are both really in the same 9.0 condition?. confused-smiley-013.gif

Your comic has top edge wear, bottom edge wear, all 4 corners has issues, and spine creases that break color.

Could this be a case of Old Label- VS- New Label grading differences? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

My Dr. Strange has 4 solid corners, especially outer edge.. and a tight flat spine..

And that is why I gave your Avengers a 7.5.. 8.0 tops.

Even if viewed in person .. I cant see how this book got a 9.0 ( no offense Niko.. I am glad it got a 9.0)

I might also add.

The bottom edge of mine near spine has glare from the camera flash.. and does not have any color loss.

Top edge though does have a minor abrasion, akin to pre chipping.

Niko.. could you post a scan of your Avengers, the same size as my photo here?.. so we might see how the flaws on yours.. are indeed overblown when looked at so closely.

Perhaps I might be overreacting to each flaw.. when I view your over sized scans.

Thnx.

Z

drstrangecover.JPG

Dan

First one to nail it again 893applaud-thumb.gif

My team rules. Everyone thought that Inconceivable was a lousy grader because of his low point total in the last contest. But he missed several rounds. His points-per-round were very high and the guy knows his stuff.

893applaud-thumb.gif

Can you post the grader's notes and a scan of the back cover? Judging a book by the front cover alone is like judging a transsexual without lifting its skirt.

Dan

First one to nail it again 893applaud-thumb.gif

My team rules. Everyone thought that Inconceivable was a lousy grader because of his low point total in the last contest. But he missed several rounds. His points-per-round were very high and the guy knows his stuff.

893applaud-thumb.gif

Thanks for the kind words FFB. I hope I can add my strengths to the team.

Dan

Can you post the grader's notes and a scan of the back cover? Judging a book by the front cover alone is like judging a transsexual without lifting its skirt.

FFB, I believe you hit the nail on the head.. thumbsup2.gif

Included with every comic set before us in the upcoming .. Guess the Grade contest, I think it is imperative to have both Font/Back scans..along with Graders notes, and also if the comic was damaged post grading.

That way when I guess wrong I wont have any excuses to fall back on. foreheadslap.gif

FFB, here are 2 photos of the underside of the Dr. Strange Cape--- sorry about the flash glare on the spine of the side view.

I will call on grader notes 2morrow.

And Niko, would you mind posting a Back Cover scan of that Avengers.. 9.0, so I might see yours also?

Z

DSback.JPG

DSside.JPG

FFB, I believe you hit the nail on the head.. thumbsup2.gif

Included with every comic set before us in the upcoming .. Guess the Grade contest, I think it is imperative to have both Font/Back scans..along with Graders notes, and also if the comic was damaged post grading.

That way when I guess wrong I wont have any excuses to fall back on. foreheadslap.gif

FFB, here are 2 photos of the underside of the Dr. Strange Cape--- sorry about the flash glare on the spine of the side view.

I will call on grader notes 2morrow.

And Niko, would you mind posting a Back Cover scan of that Avengers.. 9.0, so I might see yours also?

Z

Kenny:

Between the edge wear I can see on your small pic of the front cover, the half-inch edge dings on the upper edge of the back cover, and the lower edge dings/creases on the lower edge of the back cover, your book looks like it was graded within the ballpark to me. I think you could get a 9.2 or even a 9.4 on a resubmit though, judging from some of the books I've seen recently. confused-smiley-013.gif

FWIW, I had guessed that the Avengers #25 was an 8.5.

Thnx for the reply FFB.. and I was not unhappy with my 9.0.. and perhaps it would garner a 9.2 on a resub.. but I am keeping it... sooo...

Consider Dr. Strange "IN" for good.

I was more just surprised that Avengers was given a 9.0 with such a glaring.. er.. uhh... Dangling.. er.. ummm.. Participle on that LRC.

But looking at the scan of the Blue 9.0 Label shot.. the Avenger book looks much prettier then Niko's initial large scan.

So.. can anoyone point me to the thread where the complex rules of the grading contest are posted.

Will we get different size scans

Grader Notes

Back cover scans

Hi res 3 D digital DivX clips of each comic, in special Black light stobe

An artists rendering of each comic

How humid it was on the day it was graded

If the comics were bought from Hammer

Of course I am only kidding.. I in no way expect Back Cover scans... I was being silly and do not in any way expect that kind of luxury.

What I do find fascinating though is comparing what I might grade a comic -VS- not only what CGC might, but others here as well.

We all know the same grading guidelines.. but we all seem to have varying degrees of what we call flaws.. and how much we all take off for them

be it..

Spine wear -vs- outer edge wear...I would rather have a clean spine personally

QP vs pristine condition.. I personally would rather have a less pristine.. perfectly centered spine, perfectly cut comic.

Well..you get the picture.. I cant give away all my hairbrained ideas about grading insane.gif.

5 years ago I am not afraid to admit.. shy.gif I thought half my collection was VF/NM

Now after learning, and buying, seeing CGC books for a few years..... I look at all my books under a different "light" so to speak.

And most are way less then FINE/ 6.0.. and very, very , VERY few are a true, NM.

So keep um coming Niko... the more I see.. the more I learn.

There , now that I exposed my tender underbelly.. I feel the need to insult someone.....who can pik on? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Khaos.. can you help me?.. I cant think of anyone to flame. flamed.gif

Z

While the big scans are great for really "seeing" don't let it blow the defects out of proportion. So 9.0

I am sleeping better tonight knowing you're on our team! Our captain....well....he didn't do so well! insane.gif

As for me, I am reporting late to training camp. Have to work out some details with my agent. 27_laughing.gif