• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1/4th of a front cover taped? What would you grade it?

26 posts in this topic

For any grade, if 1/4th of the front cover had been ripped off and then taped back to the rest of the cover, what is the highest grade that could be allowed for such a comic no matter what the rest of it looked like? A 4.0 states minor repairs, but Overstreet states that as being no more than 1/8th to 1/4th of an inch. A 3.0 on down states "Amateur repairs may be present" but doesn't really go into detail about the extent in inches or anything of that nature. I mean, if a comic has 5 inches worth of tape on it, connecting a broken off piece, I would assume that would knock it down quite a bit, wouldn't it? Sorry, I'm not picture-capable. frown.gif

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Brent

If sent to CGC, would something like that probably get a qualified grade?

Brent

It depends on the grade of the book if that rip had not ocurred. A book, say VF+, that has a single defect than can only be found in, say, VG. How do you grade it? Because the usual VG can have THAT one defect plus several others. So in contrast to the usual VG, the book is, well an anomaly. Hence a Qualifed.

Brent,

There are too many factors involved, as you know. Do you have a copy of the OCGG? It is impossible to grade hypothetically, period. sumo.gifdespite the sage advice received above frown.gif Nevertheless:

If 1/4th of the front cover had been ripped off and then taped back to the rest of the cover, what is the highest grade that could be allowed for such a comic?

1.5 FR/GD sumo.gif

I would say the book is a 5.5 to a 6, neither of which allows for any amateur repairs. Also, if it did come back qualified, how much, generally speaking, does that hurt the value when compared to a blue-labeled book?

Brent

Do not even think about sending this book in (unless it is a MAJOR key issue) - You will be throwing your money away. sumo.gif

If the tear isn't ragged looking, and it is neatly taped from the inside front cover, and the book is otherwise a solid mid-grade copy, it might sell for the same as an all around 2.0 copy, but as to it's actual grade, I'd have to agree with 1.5

2.5 at the most.

I agree with this. The book is complete and structurally sound (from the 6.0 otherwise assessment) with extensive amateur tape repair. The extent and obtrusiveness of this repair would determine a 1.5-2.5. Action 1 or Action 700.

But I would think a qualified grade could be possible.

All IMO.

Not a lot of these around -- As a collector, I would definitely consider buying it, keep it in Mylar, and enjoy it. thumbsup2.gif And I agree, I would go higher than I thought to a 2.0, perhaps even 2.5 if I could hold it.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Thanks, everyone! I'll see if I can get it. I already have a More Fun 74 in 1.8 condition, but it was one of the first blue-label ones CGC made. I don't know--maybe I'm just not seeing something here, but it really seems to me that, perhaps, they were a bit tougher in the grading standards when they graded this one. I'll try and send a picture once my stupid FTP server starts working again. Anyway, thanks for all your help!

Here's the book I was looking at. Let me know! I'm a huge Aquaman collector. Actually, that's generally all I collect....

mfc73.jpg

mfc73b.jpg

Brent

Brent -

If this was a book I really wanted, I would send it to a resoration expert to get the tape removed and have a professional tear seal. The paper is all there and the tear is clean... I suspect it would restore very nicely. Probably to a 4.5 / 5.0

In this case, I couldn't care less about the purple label... I'd rather have it "restored" and nice looking than have ugly tape that will eventually eat away at the paper and turn it brown.

This book is a perfect example of what "restoration" is meant to do.