• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1/4th of a front cover taped? What would you grade it?

26 posts in this topic

Here's the book I was looking at. Let me know! I'm a huge Aquaman collector. Actually, that's generally all I collect....

Brent

Brent -

If this was a book I really wanted, I would send it to a resoration expert to get the tape removed and have a professional tear seal. The paper is all there and the tear is clean... I suspect it would restore very nicely. Probably to a 4.5 / 5.0

In this case, I couldn't care less about the purple label... I'd rather have it "restored" and nice looking than have ugly tape that will eventually eat away at the paper and turn it brown.

This book is a perfect example of what "restoration" is meant to do.

Agreed 100%. thumbsup2.gif

If the tear isn't ragged looking, and it is neatly taped from the inside front cover, and the book is otherwise a solid mid-grade copy, it might sell for the same as an all around 2.0 copy, but as to it's actual grade, I'd have to agree with 1.5

Me too.

I agree. I'm normally not a big fan of Resto but since this book is so low already I think it would be a good idea. That was one of the 1st things I thought when I saw the book that it would be a good canidate for resto. BTW the book didn't actually lose a chunk did it? It looks like it just the tear on the side and not to the bottom.

Just wanted to let everyone know that I sent the book to CGC and it came back as a 3.0 unrestored! Probably because of its scarcity, as I've noticed scarcer comics, even in lower grade, seem to command a little bit of a higher grade. They, of course, mention the taped piece on the cover, but since it still falls within the highest allowed grade for an amateur repair that seems a little more than minor (Unless a 3.5 allows for that, too, but that grade isn't described in my OS grading guide) they went ahead and gave it a 3.0. Also came back as "Off-white pages", although I and everyone else who saw the pages could've swore they were off-white to white. Anyone, I'm still really happy with the grade. Thanks for all of those who replied!

Brent