• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Alternate Grading Scales

24 posts in this topic

I am always amused when I am reviewing a list of someone's collection when they use non-standard grading descriptions for their books.

The most recent I read included the following with no indication as to rank:

"Fine"

"Very Good"

"Good"

Ok, so far so good, but then I find:

"Not Rubbish"

"Acceptable"

?? How do these relate to each other? (shrug)

I have also seen "Very Nice". Anyone else have any alternate grading descriptions they have run into?

How about:

"Junk"

"More Junk"

"Holy mess, you call that a comic?"

Dr. Skull sold me comics that were in "shit-" grade :)

About a decade ago, I was more actively using Abebooks to find comix. I stumbled onto a listing for a really cool book. The seller described it as "very good." It was a used bookstore owner so I decided to take a chance. I paid quite a bit for it (blindly, by his "very good" assessment and no scans) under the assumption it was a VG, but only because it was a pretty rare comic. Came back a CGC 9.6. I guess it all depends on what the book is, and who you're buying from.

Where do they mint comics? I've always wonder about that.

Only in the collecting world would something in "Good" condition really be something that looks pretty bad.

I suggest renaming the grades in this order.

Pathetic

Poor

Bleh

Fair

Eh

Good <--- Middle scale where "Fine is"

Really Good

Fine

Super Fine

Excellent

Incredible

Awesome