• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LITTLE LULU: What is it about this book?

31 posts in this topic

I disagree that Little Lulu has been shunned by our hobby historically. If you look at old guides, Lulu was far more valuable relatively speaking than it is now. The 1976 guide shows a NM Four Color 74 (first Lulu) valued at a whopping $120. For comparison's sake, an All Star 8 (first Wonder Woman) was $225, All American 19 (first Atom) was $150, All Select 1 was $180, and Pep 22 (first Archie) was $50 . Richie Rich 1 was $4.

A complete run of Little Lulu was valued higher than complete runs of titles like Mad, Comic Cavalcade, All Flash, Startling and Blue Beetle.

There is nothing second rate about Little Lulu IMO. Non-superhero books may be out of favor with the majority of collectors, however, that doesn't mean that there wasn't first rate work being done in other genres. I've read virtually every SA Marvel and DC, and lots of GA hero books, and the titles that stand out for me in terms of quality are exclusively non-superhero: Barks Ducks, Archie and Little Lulu.

And Wings Comics 1 was at one time the most valuable book in the guide...

I'm not sure I would use Overstreet as a gauge. Like I said earlier, Overstreet's prices have always been off, and for years he claimed that funny animal type of books like Lulu sold at or above guide list, when it wasn't true.

The guide at that time was also heavily influenced by Don and Maggie Thompson, who were the king and queen of collecting titles like Four Color Comics (then known as color comics), Lulu, and the like. So I am not surprised that Lulu books were highly priced then. It is much like the Guide being disproportionally influenced by CGC today.

Lulu is an excellent read, very entertaining, well drawn and with good story lines. I enjoy reading them. They are, however, a third-tier title in the hobby.

They are, however, a third-tier title in the hobby

Man, I wish they were so I could pick up those early issues at JUST GUIDE (which you claim is over-inflated anyway). The "hobby" is more they just people trying to finish their run of Detective or Spider-man. There are plenty of people who collect Barks or Stanley or Montana or whatever, and they know how hard those early books are and pay accordingly.

You are thinking in narrow terms of guys (mainly guys) who go to conventions and lay down crazy money of the "big books". In more "open" markets (like ebay) you get more buyers for the quality "odd ball" (ie not superhero) stuff. Look at FC 74 on Heritage and compare the exact same book on ebay

You get the hardcore BSDs on Heritage and a book like that is seen as "third rate" to them, while in the world beyond that that book is far more valued. I've gotten my best deals on Lulu at comic shops who didn't have a clue that anyone would want that kids stuff. I almost never get an early Lulu for Overstreet or less on ebay however.

Bobfef, sorry you missed out on that FC74 from Heritage - since it's on you want list - I'm assuming you would have topped the high bid if you had been bidding. I like how the grade improved slightly, now that it has been deslabbed - I thought it had been leniently graded by CGC! Looks like I've been priced out of buying any more Lulus, as I had a self-imposed $8 limit per issue (the exception being a VG copy of FC 165 I paid $25 for, as it crossed over into my GA/pre-code dope smoking comic book collection.

Lulu had some GREAT holiday themed covers.

Lulu #17

017.jpg

Lulu #40

040.jpg

My FAVORITE cover is #16, which is not really holiday themed but is fall themed and I don't have

a scan of handy....893frustrated.gif

I would recommend the 2 Annuals, which contain reprints of earlier material so you can get

a taste without the higher cost.

annual1.jpg

annual2.jpg

These two also have reprints of early stuff

giant1.jpg

giant8.jpg

Personally I like the early stuff better, but that is just me. I tend to like the early stuff of most things. (I think I am the only person who thinks the first season of the Simpsons is the best).

Many Stanley fans think is best work is from issues 40 to about 70, and I wouldn't argue too much with that.

Oh you mentioned Barks. One of the differences between the two is Stanley tended to do shorter stories while Barks can have some long adventures. If you are going into Stanley for the first time just be aware that most of the stories are between 8 and 14 pages. There are a few longer Stanley adventures but not many. Think the Barks WDCS 10-pagers as the type of thing you'll find in Lulu.

If you'd like to read some Stanley stories for free I would recommend this web site Stanley Stories

Dollhair is considered dope?

Well, it may be dollhair, but judging from it's effect on Lulu, it might as well be dope. I can't imagine a kid's comic today showing a little kid smoking anything.