• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thor: God Of Thunder

85 posts in this topic

Trade comes out next month, right?

Might want to hold off on it. Not sure what Marvel is doing but the May 2013 solicitations show a hardcover now...

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=43749

THOR: GOD OF THUNDER VOL. 1 — THE GOD BUTCHER PREMIERE HC

Written by JASON AARON

Penciled by ESAD RIBIC

Cover by ESAD RIBIC

Throughout the ages, gods have been vanishing, their mortal worshippers left in chaos. NOW!, Thor follows a trail of blood that threatens to consume his past, present and future. The only hope for these ravaged worlds is for Thor to unravel the gruesome mystery of the God Butcher! In the distant past, Thor follows the bloody wake of murdered gods across the depths of space. In the present, the Thunder God discovers a forgotten cave that echoes with the cries of tortured gods — and is shocked to find himself among them! And thousands of years from now, the last god-king of ruined Asgard makes his final stand against the God Butcher’s berserker legions. As three Thors from three eras race to stop the God Butcher, the full extent of his vicious scheme takes terrifying shape! Collecting THOR: GOD OF THUNDER #1-5.

136 PGS./Rated T+ …$24.99

ISBN: 978-0-7851-6842-3

Trim size: standard

EDIT: I thought they had solicated a TPB but amazon is showing the HC only now

http://www.amazon.com/Thor-God-Thunder-Vol-Butcher/dp/0785168427/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1361412377&sr=8-1&keywords=thor+god+of+thunder

Top notch again, gets to the point that I can't turn the pages quick enough!

Next issue 'Gorr igin' we see the beginning of the 'God Butcher', which is nice but Esad Ribic won't be drawing it :cry: he's having an issue off then returning on #7 :grin:

That cover is more linear lightning from the 'Croatian God Of Creation'

We need an Esad Ribic appreciation thread, maybe one day he'll join us in our own little Valhalla here - as long as he doesn't swear as much when he's writing, as he does when he's speaking hm

Issue 12, WTF was that mess....way too much politicizing....why does that always seem to creep into comics. Not to mention the guy who drew this issue failed miserably. I want the team that pumped out issues 1-11 BACK.

A perfect example of how to turn a previously awesome comic into mindless drivel.

I'm afraid to read issue 13

Issue 12, WTF was that mess....way too much politicizing....why does that always seem to creep into comics. Not to mention the guy who drew this issue failed miserably. I want the team that pumped out issues 1-11 BACK.

A perfect example of how to turn a previously awesome comic into mindless drivel.

I'm afraid to read issue 13

I really liked #12 - not sure where you saw the 'politicizing' in it.

There is virtually no action in this issue at all - which is a good thing.

Review of #12: http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/08/29/thor-god-of-thunder-12-review

The first 11 issues of Thor: God of Thunder focused on one epic cosmic adventure featuring three versions of the mighty Avenger. The catch is that this has allowed for precious little time for Jason Aaron to focus on Thor's relationship with the peoples of Midgard. Aaron makes up for that in a big way with issue #12. This standalone tale serves as a welcome palate cleanser before the next big conflict rolls around.

Despite the end of the Gorr saga, Aaron doesn't abandon his focus on the three Thors. But young Thor and King Thor are used sparingly in this issue, merely book-ending a much lengthier look at Thor's many earthly relationships. The story is actually very similar to Aaron's Wolverine tale "A Mile in My Moccasins" in how it chronicles an average period in the life of a superhero. The key difference is that this is a generally more positive and uplifting story in contrast to the moral of Wolverine's tale -- which was that Logan runs himself ragged in order to escape his demons.

If anything, Thor does a pretty solid impression of Superman as he mingles with the ordinary folk of Midgard and generally shows how a hero can live up to his reputation merely by tackling the mundane problems as well as the gigantic ones. It's heartfelt, and it illustrates Thor's humanity better than any cosmic battle ever could. I only wish we could have seen more of Thor's interaction with certain characters. In particular, his relationship with a Death Row inmate practically begged to be elaborated upon.

Some fans may take issue with the way Jane Foster is handled in this issue, particularly in how she willingly passes the romantic torch to a new character. But at this point the Thor/Jane dynamic has pretty well played out, especially with Dr. Donald Blake no longer a factor. I'm eager to see how Aaron handles the romance between Thor and S.H.I.E.L.D.'s Agent Solomon going forward.

Nic Klein, late of Winter Soldier, hops on board for a single issue. Klein remains one of the most talented new creators at Marvel, and it's a shame to see him being deployed on short, single-issue assignments like this when he could just as easily be headlining the series. Regardless, Klein's striking figure work, bold lines, and emotionally weighty facial work are a perfect fit for the story Aaron is telling.

And another review: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=user_review&id=6392

If someone were to come to Earth, having never been blessed with the ability to read comics, but asked "Who is Thor?" you would be pretty well served to hand them a copy of "Thor: God of Thunder" #12, written by Jason Aaron with art by Nic Klein. There’s not a lot of mythological happenings or any of Thor’s Asgardian supporting cast in this comic book, but there is a lot of Thor.

Jason Aaron brings all three Thors -- past, present and future -- into this issue in direct continuation of the "God Butcher" storyline. Without knowing a thing about the butcher, Gorr, readers can pick up this issue and learn a bit about Thor in the time of Vikings, Thor of present day and Thor ascendant to the throne of All-Father. Aaron focuses on the here and now (this is, after all, a Marvel NOW! book) and elucidates on what the god of thunder does when he returns to Midgard after a long trip. Thor visits death row, stops in to chat with the Mother Superior and Dalai Lama, hoists a mug with wounded warriors, answers a YouTube date request, and even checks in with Jane Foster. Seamlessly, the writer manages to even subtlety tie this in with the Thor movies, especially as the close of this issue tips towards the foe to come.

Nic Klein’s artwork is heavy with the weight of the world. Characters don’t float in his panels; they are impacted by gravity and lit by light that creates bright spots and casts shadows. Klein’s style uses the shadows for dynamic effect, but Klein additionally focuses on deeper, rougher levels of detail, drawing out crevices and cracks, wrinkles and fur. Jane Foster’s health battle shows on her face. The death row inmate’s realization of his fate and Thor’s genuine concern breaks into tears. Even Roz Solomon’s surprise at Thor’s appearance in Antarctica would carry meaning without words. Klein’s color work is more wash-based than regular artist and this issue's cover art Esad Ribic’s, but neither is wrong in how they depict Thor. As a matter of fact, both are perfectly matched to the adventures of Thor Odinson.

"Thor: God of Thunder" #12 has minimal action from Mjolnir, but it makes up for the lack of action with the promise of excitement and an incredible range of emotion. The scene of Thor and Jane Foster runs the full gamut. In five pages. Thor realizes some problems can’t be hit with a hammer or struck by lightning and in that same realization, the Thunder God experiences humanity and shares it with one of his oldest mortal friends. Some creators are well matched to the characters they work. Others are flat-out perfect. Jason Aaron is the best writer Thor could have right now and Thor is the best character for Aaron’s range. Collectively, "Thor: God of Thunder" is vying for the top spot in my Marvel reads, with its primary competition being "Daredevil." Hmmmm. Do you suppose Mark Waid and Jason Aaron read these reviews and might put one and one together?

I miss Esad Ribic already :(

Not sure about the "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen / Avengers" Theme that is starting in #14 either, curious where its heading. But, I have faith in Jason Aaron, his first arcs were so freakin' good.