• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

USPS International prices up 24-54% on January 27

81 posts in this topic

Could someone decipher the online charts (shrug) to figure out what a 6 ounce package first class air mail from USA to Canada is? Also priority mail box from USA to Canada 1 lb 12 ounces.

The same for USA to UK.

This is a fiscal international shipping cliff on January 27th :mad:

6 oz sounds a little light for a comic unless you are shipping it with no real protection or it is a mini-comic or something.

Because of this, I will no longer ship international. Sorry guys. I'm not risking anything getting lost.

But your buyers pay the shipping, not you? ???

And why is it suddenly more likely that anything will get lost? ??? ???

+1

Adonis, please explain - or ideally, retract.

The last thing we need as UK buyers is for US boardie sellers deciding that price increases mean they won't post to us. If enough people (especially among the more active/visible posters) start making that decision it could become the norm for no real reason, and that would be a really big shame.

+2

As long as the buyer pays the shipping, nothing changes. I'm surprised the USPS left prices as low as they were for as long as they did. Still cheaper than FedEx or UPS.

Because of this, I will no longer ship international. Sorry guys. I'm not risking anything getting lost.

I understand the shipping cost will increase, but how has the risk of loss increased?

Since they are charging more it's obvious they are more likely to loose stuff meh

I understand the shipping cost will increase, but how has the risk of loss increased?

Since they are charging more it's obvious they are more likely to loose stuff meh

Well, if they let it loose, I'm sure they will lose more.

hm

Well, if they let it loose, I'm sure they will lose more.

hm

Loser :foryou:

Well, if a package gets lost and you have to refund the whole amount you are now out of pocket $20 to canada vs. $13, not to mention the item' value.

I will take the bullet for all of you and continue to sell overseas. Don't worry guys, I got this. (thumbs u

(worship)

I ship a lot of heavy stuff internationally and Priority Mail International Flat Rate has always been the most cost effective way to do it. These are some hefty increases....

Canada

Flat Rate Envelope $13 soon $20 +54%

Med Flat Rate Box $33 soon $41 +24%

Large Flat Rate Box $40 soon $54 +35%

Rest of World

Flat Rate Envelope $17 soon $24 +41%

Med Flat Rate Box $48 soon $60 +25%

Large Flat Rate Box $61 soon $78 +28%

First Class Mail International is also up on average 50+%

Of course domestic prices are going up also, but they are in the order of 6%

Part of me is going: :ohnoez:

Part of me is going: :facepalm:

The rest is going: http://i.imgur.com/JCaYh.jpg (warning - mildly offensive to some)

Let's talk about the real problem, what lower demand for comics is going to do with prices. I'm selling all my stuff, this is the end of the hobby folks.

It's the end if you collect to make profit. Me, I'm a hoarder with a for Batman.

You going to offload any bat books? hm

Let's talk about the real problem, what lower demand for comics is going to do with prices. I'm selling all my stuff, this is the end of the hobby folks.

What lower demand?

I don't know, occasionally I like to pull out sarcastic remarks out my *spoon* with no bases.

I actually believe the opposite of what I said, the few times I've bought from cananda, I actually buy more to compensate or to cost overage my shipping cost down. I'm sure people will just have to buy in more quantity to compensate for the higher cost of shipping internationally. So, next time, instead of buying one slab from flaming, I'll buy two. Higher prices is a win win win, buyer wins, seller wins, usps wins.

What lower demand?

I don't know, occasionally I like to pull out sarcastic remarks out my *spoon* with no bases.

Here, perhaps this will help ease your sore arse:

FWIW, I think there is little question the vast majority of remaining comic shops (at least the comic book selling activity therein) will see their demise in the next 5 to 7 years.

Wrong

Taking aside the absolutism in the first post, I'd love to hear your rationale for why they won't. I'm always looking for comic stores, and I see fewer and fewer every year.

I believe Diamond account numbers are actually up a little over the last few years. And, in talking to other shops who are part of ComicsPro and other retail organizations, the consensus is that sales are up significantly at a retail level over the last 18-24 months. Unfortunately the comics industry does not have the tools in place to accurately monitor and give sound reasoning as to why this is occurring. But many of us have opinions. From my perspective digital comics and online content have been a huge contributor to driving customers to brick and mortar retail establishments. Along with the extra exposure comics properties get through the regular media, digital has effectively replaced the old spinner racks as this industry's first line of introduction into the world of comic books. I guess the only other argument I can make is that Houston saw three new comic shops open in 2011 and 2012 that were not Bedrock City shops. Competitors! Arrgh. Yet our sales in 2012 were up almost 40% averaged out between our four stores. One of my shops had a 68% sales increase over 2011!

I always keep a watchful eye on trends, especially in these times of uncertainty. I was very pessimistic about digital comics and their effect on retail sales. We were making contingency plans just in case sales were negatively impacted. As of yet we are seeing nothing that would lead us to believe that digital will have a significant negative impact in the next few years. That could change with rapid improvements in delivery methods. But I still think we need to be cognizant of the fact that no matter how good digital looks, customers will always have some degree of desire to hold, read and possibly collect a physical product.

What lower demand?

Here, perhaps this will help ease your sore arse:

FWIW, I think there is little question the vast majority of remaining comic shops (at least the comic book selling activity therein) will see their demise in the next 5 to 7 years.

Wrong

Taking aside the absolutism in the first post, I'd love to hear your rationale for why they won't. I'm always looking for comic stores, and I see fewer and fewer every year.

I believe Diamond account numbers are actually up a little over the last few years. And, in talking to other shops who are part of ComicsPro and other retail organizations, the consensus is that sales are up significantly at a retail level over the last 18-24 months. Unfortunately the comics industry does not have the tools in place to accurately monitor and give sound reasoning as to why this is occurring. But many of us have opinions. From my perspective digital comics and online content have been a huge contributor to driving customers to brick and mortar retail establishments. Along with the extra exposure comics properties get through the regular media, digital has effectively replaced the old spinner racks as this industry's first line of introduction into the world of comic books. I guess the only other argument I can make is that Houston saw three new comic shops open in 2011 and 2012 that were not Bedrock City shops. Competitors! Arrgh. Yet our sales in 2012 were up almost 40% averaged out between our four stores. One of my shops had a 68% sales increase over 2011!

I always keep a watchful eye on trends, especially in these times of uncertainty. I was very pessimistic about digital comics and their effect on retail sales. We were making contingency plans just in case sales were negatively impacted. As of yet we are seeing nothing that would lead us to believe that digital will have a significant negative impact in the next few years. That could change with rapid improvements in delivery methods. But I still think we need to be cognizant of the fact that no matter how good digital looks, customers will always have some degree of desire to hold, read and possibly collect a physical product.

I hope you don't mind, I didn't bother to read this.