• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

East of West
1 1

9,321 posts in this topic

at what point does this book qualify for "It's Raw for a reason"?

That makes sense especially with this book.

I read the seller's answer to a question when he relisted the book:

"The negative review should hopefully be getting pulled from my account. The buyer didnt pay for insurance, the book was damaged and he couldn't get a full refund"

I don't care how much positive feedback a seller has; any legit eBay seller knows it's the seller's responsibility to get the item to the buyer as indicated in the listing. The buyer is automatically protected through eBay, so there's no reason for the buyer to purchase insurance. Any buyer who purchases insurance on an eBay listing is just getting scammed into protecting the seller on the buyer's dime.

"The negative review should hopefully be getting pulled from my account. The buyer didnt pay for insurance, the book was damaged and he couldn't get a full refund"

I don't care how much positive feedback a seller has; any legit eBay seller knows it's the seller's responsibility to get the item to the buyer as indicated in the listing. The buyer is automatically protected through eBay, so there's no reason for the buyer to purchase insurance. Any buyer who purchases insurance on an eBay listing is just getting scammed into protecting the seller on the buyer's dime.

Agreed. But if I'm the buyer and I buy a raw book for $150, I'm questioning the shipping method before the seller ships. Especially when the shipping is only a few dollars.

Agreed. But if I'm the buyer and I buy a raw book for $150, I'm questioning the shipping method before the seller ships. Especially when the shipping is only a few dollars.

True. And even the positive feedback on the RRPs sold said a bubble mailer with cardboard was used to ship. Inexcusable.

True. And even the positive feedback on the RRPs sold said a bubble mailer with cardboard was used to ship. Inexcusable.

How so? A 10x15 bubble mailer with 4 good cardboard sheets is almost bullet proof. Now if any smaller then yeah that's inexcusable and $7 is very very high.

That being said I would think a legal flat rate envelope would have been better due to letting more cardboard in.

Edited by Fastballspecial

How so? A 10x15 bubble mailer with 4 good cardboard sheets is almost bullet proof. Now if any smaller then yeah that's inexcusable and $7 is very very high.

That being said I would think a legal flat rate envelope would have been better due to letting more cardboard in. [/

I actually work for the Post Office. A couple of things to know that make what this seller did even more annoying.

1. The maximum cost he spent if he used a Bubble Mailer w/ cardboard is roughly $3.50 (so why is he charging $7)

2. 1 comic in a BM w/ cardboard more than likely ways 7-8 ounces which would cost $2.39-$2.53 after the Paypal/Ebay discount on shipping.

3. Priority Mail Flat Rate is $5.60 before the Paypal/Ebay Discount so still well under the $7.

4. Priority Mail Flat Rate Envelopes are segregated from other Priority which means they won't be as likely to get damaged since most Priority Flat Rate Envelopes are used for "payments".

No excuse for poor shipping when you are charging $7.

Edited by NigelTufnel42

I always ship my comics in a corrugated box with proper packing to ensure it doesn't move around inside(and no tape all over the comic bag so it doesnt take you forever to get it off)

I charge $3.85 for shipping which is pretty much break even for me because the boxes cost 57 cents each ordered in bulk at Uline, and the postage ranges from $2.93-$3.32 depending on the weight of the package 9-12oz.

That being said I would think a legal flat rate envelope would have been better due to letting more cardboard in.

The latter example you statedwith less than 4 cardboard sheets was what I was referring to.

Using 4 cardboard sheets for one comic would most likely be sufficient, but for expensive comics I'd prefer a corregated box with bubble wrap inside since I'm a bit paranoid about concentrated pressure on a corner. I had a seller send me ten comics using only 3 cardboard sheets and 1 bubble mailer and all of them came with corner damage. I asked for a refund, and the seller said I'd get a refund if I sent it back, but I'd have to pay for shipping since I didn't get insurance (which again is a scam).

I escalated to eBay and I eventually got my full refund including shipping, but the whole situation left a bad impression with me about sellers who package poorly & cheaply, especially those pocketing $100s for an expensive comic. On that point, I think we're all on the same page. (thumbs u

why should buyer buy the insurance, it's always seller's responsibility. this guy will be on my block list.

I always ship my comics in a corrugated box with proper packing to ensure it doesn't move around inside(and no tape all over the comic bag so it doesnt take you forever to get it off)

I charge $3.85 for shipping which is pretty much break even for me because the boxes cost 57 cents each ordered in bulk at Uline, and the postage ranges from $2.93-$3.32 depending on the weight of the package 9-12oz.

come on, you got to charge $5, your effort putting in the packaging, time, gas, etc. just charge them high and take care the packing.