• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

East of West
1 1

9,321 posts in this topic

I feel like saga didnt hit big numbers until issues 8-10ish. I remember seeing first print #1's on the rack at my local comic shop next to the first trade paperback. And with the popularity hickman is experiencing over at marvel (FF, avengers, infinity) I think this book still has yet to reach its potential. As far as speculators buying the book and not reading it, I'm sure its happened, but I cant think of a dumber investment than blindly buying a book you havent read.

The way that the book is written also tends to confuse alot of readers. Hickman tells the story in bits and pieces, so if you dont follow closely and read it multiple times, it may not make sense at first. As the story continues, things will become clearer, and people will be jumping on. I genuinely feel like this is too good of a series to just tank. It just hasnt hit full steam yet.

The forbidden planet variant is also going to be the sleeper book for this series. Its been said before, but its only got a print run of 1000, making it just half as rare as the saga rrp. Glad I've got ten copies each of the ghost variant, forbidden planet, and five RRP's either slabbed and stashed away, or at cgc waiting to come back. I'll probly hold on to them until the book hits issues 12-15, and even then, I'm probably keeping half of them to line my casket with. I'm a collector, not a profiteer.

From a historical perspective that just doesn't seem likely.

Look at Invincible #1 - regular #1s in 9.8 sell in the $300-400 range whilst the #1 Larry's Edition (with a tiny print run compared to the regular #1) sell for about $50-60 in the same grade.

I can't think of a single example where a store variant has retained any sort of decent value compared to an RRP or a regular #1 :shrug:

considering the number of flippers that piled onto EoW, even holding on to 30k+ this far into the run is quite impressive.

Agreed. Have you read it yet ?

I read 1 and 2 before I got sidelined from reading comics, so I need to catch up on 3- current. They are in my pull boxes along with everything else I am behind on :)

The forbidden planet variant is also going to be the sleeper book for this series. Its been said before, but its only got a print run of 1000, making it just half as rare as the saga rrp. Glad I've got ten copies each of the ghost variant, forbidden planet, and five RRP's either slabbed and stashed away, or at cgc waiting to come back. I'll probly hold on to them until the book hits issues 12-15, and even then, I'm probably keeping half of them to line my casket with. I'm a collector, not a profiteer.

Look at Invincible #1 - regular #1s in 9.8 sell in the $300-400 range whilst the #1 Larry's Edition (with a tiny print run compared to the regular #1) sell for about $50-60 in the same grade.

I can't think of a single example where a store variant has retained any sort of decent value compared to an RRP or a regular #1 :shrug:

hm

It does have a cool cover lol

I really hadn't thought about these in that way. It seems like a lot of the recent variants are bringing more than the regular covers. For example Ghosted, Letter 44, Rat Queens, and the EoW covers. I thought there had been a shift. Do you think all of these will fall into that historical shift ?

considering the number of flippers that piled onto EoW, even holding on to 30k+ this far into the run is quite impressive.

Agreed. Have you read it yet ?

I read 1 and 2 before I got sidelined from reading comics, so I need to catch up on 3- current. They are in my pull boxes along with everything else I am behind on :)

I envy your position. You are in for a treat. It really seemed to pick up at number 4 imo.

Uh-oh... Where's Larry, busting in here?

*waitforit....* lol

You can find quite a few Larry's #1 on his site just hanging out. I think Ghost and Forbidden Planet has gathered a better reputation for Variants as of late, and the art really shows. Ghost is relatively new, and has been cranking out some great work.

Just my 2c

Saga just isn't my cup of tea... I tend to like my comics to have those "that's totally bad moments"

That being said, I also think Saga has some of the best character develpment currently being printed.

Saga is like the chick flick of comics :)

doesn't have enough sex to garner the female fanbase like Saga does....but, i'd rather read EoW than watch tv headed aliens humping.

I don't know about that. I gave my trade to my GF to read and she LOVED it.

I just think this book is a completely different book than Saga. Saga is way easier to get into, while this one is way more layered and complex.

I just think this book is a completely different book than Saga. Saga is way easier to get into, while this one is way more layered and complex.

Not sure why but I suddenly started reading this in Mike Myers Schrek voice.

Never said it wasnt a great book (i am a backer), but it's simply not fair to compare it to Saga.

Saga's saga-ness is over stated imo ;):D But it has definitely managed to break through to the level of popularity required for stability. I think its too early to say whether or not EoW will manage to do the same. Also, they launched in very different environments.

EoW had to launch against the speculator headwinds of the "Bubble Era". Having flippers push a launch issue's print run up by 20,30,40,50% etc above what it would have been, creates a SERIOUS oversupply drag on its price, future issue print run size, buzz, etc.

I personally define the "Bubble Era" as Bedlam forward, (though obviously it was building for a year or so before that). EoW launched in the bubble era, and has managed to hold on to the lion share of its print run.

Given the circumstances, its doing well I think. Obviously though, eventually it has to turn to flat or rising.

Edited by CBT